The Intercooler Thread

G

Unregistered
For everyone's information, came across this the other night and thought it may be applicable even though it's for the older model Galant VR-4.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=1931
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=1946

Interesting how an aftermarket unit flows twice as much as the standard (older) unit and is only slightly bigger. Lower pressure drop, lower intake temperatures, all good except for the slightly higher weight - like that's an issue when we're shoving 1.5 tonnes around! :)

With aftermarket units as cheap as the units they've quoted here, I don't know why you'd even bother with second hand units from other cars.

Japanese Market Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Air-to-Air Intercooler

1931_13lo.jpg

Flow - Direction A and B 184 cfm (20th overall)
Mass - 3.4kg (6th overall)
Core Measurements - 19.7 x 41.5 x 6.5cm = 5314cm3 (6th overall)
You may not be aware that the Japanese domestic market 151kW Mitsubishi VR4 received a much larger front-mount intercooler than the Australian delivered variants. But is it really a 'gun' performer? Both the JDM VR4 core volume and thermal mass are very impressive, but the flow bench reveals its major shortcoming - it's outgunned by 80 percent of the field.
This is another good intercooler from a heat exchange perspective, but lacks the flow to make it suitable for genuine high performance. Keep its flow limitation in mind if you're looking to tweak an Aussie VR4.

New Aftermarket Front-Mount

1946_12lo.jpg

Flow - Direction A and B 372 cfm (1st overall)
Mass - 7.3kg (1st overall)
Core Measurements - 29.4 x 58.5 x 7.5cm = 12899cm3 (1st overall)
This is the only brand new Japanese aftermarket intercooler on test - it's a yardstick to compare the OE cores. As you can see, this is a positively huge intercooler that ranks Number One in core volume, mass and flow. Note that it outflows the best OE intercooler (the Series 6 RX-7) by a relatively small 20 percent, but its heat exchange potential is in another league.
This intercooler could be used in pretty well any high-powered turbo or supercharged streetcar - assuming it can be made to fit!

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anybody found out if the place in VIC was going to do up sets of cooler piping?

Or are there any ppls in QLD who have had piping made up?

I think putting in an FMIC will be the second thing after the alpine gear & K & N Pod...

One last question do you guys know of an adaptor to go from the MAF to a straight 3" tube or is the MAF Removable from what it is mounted to so that it could be transplanted? I transplated one on a previous car and had great results!

Would it be better to use enlargers/reducers and go to 3" piping also? then in the future if turbo pipes are changed it makes it beneficial?

Regards,
Brent

G

Unregistered
pod = waste of money unless you are doing cold air intake/box/tuning

IMO

get a hard pipe kit made, remove all the fexible crap mitsi supplied.
all standard size 2.5"

600x300x76 core size cooler with reducers if needed

a panel filter in the stock airbox

a boost controller,

aftermarket BOV, as the foctory one leaks.

a turbo back exhaust system.

this will bring you some where in the 180-190kw atw on factory ecu.

IMO there are the best bang for buck upgrades you can do...

you could go further with an ecu, piggy or full, (more moeny and tuning)
this will bring you into the 190-225kw atw mark...
with will depend on intake mods (cold air box/intake, better flowing intake pipes)

225kw atw is the limit of the factory turbos.

then it just gets expensive/hard with custom turbo setups and full pipe work

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Brent,

naughtika (Christian) fitted a front mount to his Galant - I can't remember where he got the piping from - send him a PM (or do a search on here in case he posted about it).

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
in all honesty a plumb back or a hybrid (vta and plumb back)
would be best on the factory ecu...

100% vta's vary some will work ok with the factory ecu,
and some wont...

the problem with going vta on a stock ecu is the the temporary over fueling for that second it thinks it will be getting a rush of air in the intake.
which is no longer there, but it still dumps in the extra fuel because it dont know it better ...

this causes the typical mitsi stalling with a vta.

i know the Sard r2d2 bov is fine (its what i use 100%vta)
also the HKS ssqv are good.

just stay away from all those style/type copy bov's
they tend to be no better than the factory valve.

if you do go fully vta, i recommend some sort of AFC and a tune,
as that way there wont be any fueling issues, and you will get a bit more power and fuel economy

the vr4 tends to run a bit on the rich side...

and a new set of plugs gapped correctly will also improve things.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I ordered a cooler of www.gktech.com.au today, I will post some pics up when I get it

As you've been in contact with him already, do you want to send him an email to see if he's even interested in doing something like that? If he says yes, then we can go from there and maybe organise a Victorian to head out to see him ;)

Sorry Trev for the late answer to your question, no good news I'm afraid. I asked him about the pipe work and this was his answer ...

All of our products were custom designed by us but unfortunately at this present time we aren’t doing any custom work sorry

When I get my car I will do the pipes and see what i can organise myself ...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hi Brent,

naughtika (Christian) fitted a front mount to his Galant - I can't remember where he got the piping from - send him a PM (or do a search on here in case he posted about it).

cheers

Lee

i haven't replaced the factory piping with any hard/aftermarket ones.. i've just chopped up the driver side pipe in half and rotated it 90 deg.. so it would line up with the new cooler inlet..

but if the owner's replacing the cooler with a 600 wide cooler.. the aftermarket 90 & 45 deg silicon hoses would be fine..

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Chrisitan,

what cooler did you end up in getting from GKTECH?

I see they have the 600x300x76 on special.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Brent, I was the one who got the intercooler from gktech, it was $200 including freight, the size is 600x230x76 with 2.5" pipes.

This will be easier to fit than the 600x300 as you don't have to cut out the impact bar.

If anyone orders one from gktech, tell them the price and that you are from ozvr4 :D

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Hey Hawks, thats an Excellent price.

Shame they dont make a piping kit. Their Intercooler Kits (For other cars) are way cheaper that the Greddy/Trust Kits.

Hey let us all know if you can get someone to Fab a polished full pipe kit (Inc Silicone etc)...

I am sure there are many people here that would be keen to fork out $500-$600 for a full kit inc Intercooler.

I noticed that the Greddy kit sold in the link below suits EVO's too... I am sure someone out there could see the potential for Fabricating a kit to sell..

http://www.jdmperformance.co.nz/proddetails-catalog-278-132-1652-8-0-Yes.html

Anyhow, I might get the same Intercooler, $200 is a pretty good price delivered.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
This is the intercooler I am getting ...

http://www.gktech.com.au/products/index.asp?ID=133

He told me $200 including freight, so hopefully he will do this price for everyone.

They stuffed up and sent a 600x300x76 earlier this week, so maybe they stuffed up the price too.

If you want one make sure you tell them that I sent you.

G

Unregistered
looks good, the lower hight will make it easy to fit...

you will probabilly have to move the power steering cooler line but thats no major issue,

you can go upto about 260mm tall without having to mod the impact beam.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Carsten, I believe the PS line can be pushed back behind the cooler ? Is that the best way to do it ?

G

Unregistered
it can but its quite a poo job, its quite hard to bend,
(mines behind the cooler)

you just have to take your time when doing it making sure you dont kink/pinch the pipe and hose.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hawks,

it's the one they have for vl commondore yeah? with the trust style end tanks?

thats pretty good, if they broke a kit for it.

I currently have a winning bid on ebay :S if someone outbids me ill get the same as u!

Top Bottom