The Intercooler Thread

zac billetski

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
zac
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4, 1980 Datsun 280zx, 1979 Datsun 210
how necessary is the power steering cooler? i cant get mine to fit around the HDi intercooler at all. was considering just deleting it completely, or possibly cutting a section out of it and re-attaching with soft hose.

thoughts?

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
I have some insight that might help: Two years ago my ex crashed the car although not massively, the intercooler was broken as well as the power steering cooler. And of course the front bumper and grille. The rest was intact so that was lucky. I quickly swapped another bumper and grille, as well as a spare factory IC. The only thing I didn't have was the steering cooler pipe. I simply cut the last 'U' part off the pipe and put it on the short factory rubber hoses. Worked perfectly for at least some weeks and probably months (not sure exactly anymore) until I sourced one for dirt cheap. So... cooling seems to work just fine like that (almost without one).

The other thing worth mentioning is what I recently did when I swapped my factory IC for a massive IC that I believe is the biggest ever put on a Galant/Legnum :)
vr2-intercooler-18.JPG

Anyway, as you see on the picture, the cooler neatly fitted 'like factory' on the IC, but when I fitted the bumper it was just a tad to much, exactly where the power steering pipework was. Some weeks later I fitted the steering cooler behind the IC. It seems a matter of polite force which will make it fit. Not in a nice way, but I don't care too much, it's completely out of sight anyway and it's still doing some cooling (even though the need might be questionable).

So... two options you can choose from :)

zac billetski

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
zac
Drive
thanks a lot. i think i've come to the decision to cut a section out and replace it with trans cooler line. just so that I can extend it and manhandle it to fit up nice and straight.

Really wish HDi had put more time into the design of their kit. for example brackets that lined up with the factory upper mounting positions like yours does. or designing the pipes to fit around the factory equipment instead of having to "push" things out of the way. I even had to trim the provided passenger side coupler in order to stop it from kinking.

your FMIC looks pretty mean BTW.

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
Thanks Zac! And I'm sure your solution will work.

Some bonus pictures from my FMIC install:
vr2-intercooler-17.JPG

I changed the angle on one of the original metal IC pipes (more sidewards)

vr2-intercooler-20.JPG

That changed angle makes the 135 degree silicone hose fit nicely

intercooler-chop01.JPG

When I bought the FMIC the in/outlets were facing onwards. I cut them off and made a hole on the side tanks.

intercooler-chop02.JPG

Test fitting

intercooler-chop03.JPG

Welded up nicely (not my work, I can't weld aluminium)

vr2-custom-front-bumper-galant06.jpg

And this is how it looks mounted. Nothing to see really :) Only upclose you can see the complete lower part the the bumper filled out with the FMIC :)

vr2-galant-intercooler-temp_gauges.JPG

Inlet & outlet temp gauges in the glasses tray (discount 30 degrees C). The difference between this FMIC and the original on 120km/h speeds is about 15 C better (lower) compared to stock FMIC.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
The other option is to run a power steering cooler that is like a small atf cooler.

Just like the below:

1947566_10152311395569924_986900884_n.jpg

You can see the power steering cooler on the top left of the ac core.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Thanks Zac! And I'm sure your solution will work.

vr2-galant-intercooler-temp_gauges.JPG

Inlet & outlet temp gauges in the glasses tray (discount 30 degrees C). The difference between this FMIC and the original on 120km/h speeds is about 15 C better (lower) compared to stock FMIC.

Can you give some more information about the air temp sensors you installed?
Where did you get them? Where did you fit the sensors?

I want to do this to test the intercooler spray system I'm installing.

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
Hi Rick,

I've used two Mitsu temp sensors I had laying around and hooked them up to a set of cheap DX.com temp gauges (which clearly see a different signal as a baseline, hence the 54C values, doesn't bother me,just deduct 40C and it's correct :). The sensors are mounted at the end of the metal stock IC pipe in/outlets.

Here's some pictures:
vr2-ic-temp01.JPG

vr2-ic-temp02.JPG

On this side you can't see it, but the arrow show where it is. It is actually tilted a bit more side/inwards to avoid it getting hit. On the other side it's the same, although I can see my picture isn't really clear on the location as you primarily see my K&N air filter and the APEXi VTA blow off valve... Anyway, I think you'll have a better idea how to hook it up now.

Attachments

• vr2-intercooler-10.JPG
    vr2-intercooler-10.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 12

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Thanks! Do you know the mitsi part number for them? Which cars are they found in?

I was going to fit some into the aluminum hard pipes I have, but the OEM steel ones might be stronger to screw it into.

Did you use any sealant/glue to prevent leaks?

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
I don't know the partnr, but it's the (water) temp sensor used in all 8Gen Galant/Legnums.

I've used lock-tite (the red one) as a sealant. I wouldn't worry to much using aluminium, it will hold, unless you're using very thin wall pipes.

zac billetski

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
zac
Drive
Just a note that my solution and explanation has been posted to the HDi thread, as it was specifically asked for there and it doesn't seem necessary to double post it.

tomrobbin92

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tom
Drive
DC2 Integra
Hey all,

I have a legnum and a HDI GT2 kit, wanting to get the FMIC installed, o2 sensor replaced, grab a factory airbox (can't find these online atm?) and get a tune done, any recommendations for where I should inquire? I'm in 3051.

Cheers,

Tom

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Legnum 6A13TT, Galant 6A13
Just sharing, I've manufactured a set of brackets to effortlessly fit a 600x300x76 intercooler, and also a small PS oil cooler in the back via a small extra adapter plate (Nissan 350Z cooler in this case).

UmrQ5Gl6b7GSc6_t503FTm4pWNR0RnwINeW4XErCft2p-vm-jakBQDKhCjeuWX8n8VLTNcHVc057Wn8bH=w1920-h1080-no.jpg

Top Bottom