The Intercooler Thread

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey Chrisitan,

what cooler did you end up in getting from GKTECH?

I see they have the 600x300x76 on special.

I didnt get my cooler form GKtech, got mine from Ebay.. hehehe mine's only a temp to see if it actually increases my fuel economy.. which it did :)

it'll be some time til I actually upgrade the pipe and hoses to a decent non expanding ones..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just had a look at gktech cooler

with the 895x230x76mm cooler, will that fit without having any issue's with the in/outlet meeting the hard pipes?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Damn that's MASSIVE Chris! Think you'd have some problems with that, yes... Carsten has some details on dimensions that will fit in his intercooler thread :)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
The NZ boys might know, but I will put up a DIY post in a few weeks when I get my car.

Damn that's MASSIVE Chris! Think you'd have some problems with that, yes... Carsten has some details on dimensions that will fit in his intercooler thread :)

Thats the overall size, the core is 600x230x76, so it is the same width as Glys and Brads.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah they often talk about the overall size including end tanks and tubing, the size of the core is perfectly normal.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
895mm is the overall length of the whole intercooler, so it is the same width core (600mm) as your car valmes, or are you saying overall it is too long ?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I got a reply from Greg at www.gktech.com.au he can do the 600 x 230 x 76 bar and plate intercooler (with 2.5" pipes) for $200 plus freight. He also said he can work on the price if I order more than 1. If anybody is interested let me know and I will organise something.

Check out his website for pictures and freight details. I am not sure on the quality, but it looks to be the same as the other cheaper options. There are a lot of people on calaisturbo.com that have them and seem happy.

I think I'll go one of them :D

G

Unregistered
895mm is the overall length of the whole intercooler, so it is the same width core (600mm) as your car valmes, or are you saying overall it is too long ?

Second drawing was done in CorelDraw after measuring the actual width between two points - IC intake pipe on one side and IC outlet pipe on the other. It seems like 750 mm core can barely fit, hence it's probably the maximum core size with some awkward pipes on both sides... bare in mind you want end tanks and some bends (hard pipes) in there too...

Anyway, 600x300x76 mm core is good enough for a lot a of flow... If you want something better without having to cut the impact beam, go for 600x230x100 mm core instead. That's just IMHO. :)

600 x 300 x 76 = 13 680 000
600 x 230 x 100 = 13 800 000 ;)

PS: I'm sure my IC with end tanks should be at around 785 mm overall, but way under 895 mm...

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Got my 'cooler today. I will take some pics tonight, the measurements are pictured ...

DSC00442.jpg

I hope it fits :)

G

Unregistered
any idea if he does 600x230x100 mark?
they are decent quality intercoolers, i had a gktech 600x300x76 on my R33, no problems at all.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
I asked him about the 600x230x100 and they don't do that size.

G

Unregistered
awww... might try some others.. surely someone makes something not as tall, but thicker.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
just had a look at gktech cooler

with the 895x230x76mm cooler, will that fit without having any issue's with the in/outlet meeting the hard pipes?

Use a Hack saw if it does...:p

G

Unregistered
$400... no thank you!

i'll just hack the support bar like on my 33, and gf's stagea. :p
(cant let her have a bigger fmic than me anyway :p)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Here is the gktech intercooler ...

cooler002.jpg

cooler003.jpg

Top Bottom