The Intercooler Thread

G

Unregistered
ive had a new piece welded in the back off it...
if you dont theres no point it being there.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
ok, thanks guys.

Id rather have it there just incase, its there to prevent penetration so imagine best to have it for insurance reasons.

Ill check it out when i got to fit, and post pics/info as to how to trim etc.

regards,
brent

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Carsten ,

How did you go about bending the powersteering line?

Do you have any pics of the reinforcement you had done on the impact bar? to get an idea... i might fit it without the impact bar and fix it up when i do the plumbing.

Cheers,
Brent

G

Unregistered
brute strength!

its just a new plate welded in the back to replace the missing piece

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
YEAH YOU NEED IT... THAT ALLOY PIPE IS SO RIGID!!

almost got the cooler in, have found that the factory piping does not but up with a 600x300x76 cooler however it is way off!! so note to anyone planning to do it with factory piping it dont meet up.

however with a bit of brute force you can bend the factory hard pipe around so it will meet up then extend the brackets that mount it, I will post some pics up tommorow before i put it all together with this 'mod'.

Its only a short term fix for me, i will get hard pipes made up very soon.... probably after christmas, but this will do the job for now.

cheers brent

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
good work Brent, get some pics up asap. How long is your core all up ? (including end tanks and pipes)

Do you think a smaller core would be easier ? say a 550mm wide core ?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
smaller would definatly be easier, but its doable with 600...

ill post some pics with my bodgy job...hahha

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Those are the pics of the cooler mounted and plumbed, it was dark by the time i got the bar on so i will take some more tommorow.

Left hand side is really good, plumbed up very nicely inface wont need to touch that side when i get my piping done, its fine to stay. on the otherside it is pretty much a straight 90degree angle, very restricted i guees, but does not affect the performance alot, the car seems to hit bigger boost, but takes a little bit longer to get there, but im assuming this is because of the straight 90degree bend on the right hand side, i plan to get this attended to very soon with new hard pipe up to the thorttle body, im getting a quote done tommorow.

When the boost comes on hard, it really pulls the car alot harder, factory bov you can hear inside the cabin very clearly when shifting at about 4000rpm, im thinking that will attract the blue and reds very soon.....

have a look anyway guys, any questions go for it...

i have one recommendation though, if your putting the cooler in, get new piping straight away especially if its a 600 core, also the front bar has a bit of trouble getting it back on, im going to try and refit it tommorow, but its not too bad.

cheers,
brent

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Good job mate. It looks like my core is definitley going to be too wide :( as mine has massive end tanks and will be a bugger to fit the pipes on the passenger side. It looks like the 550mm wide core will be a whole lot easier to fit.

Your 600x300 doesn't have the massive end tanks that the gktech core does, so it is either get a 600x300 or a 550x200, Hmm ...

G

Unregistered
you're no fun steve... :p
big FMIC's hanging off the front of wagons are cool.. adds to the WTF factor :p

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
thanks guys, was a big effort to get it in, need to get the plumbing done for the passenger side though, its restricting it heaps i think, hawks i think you will really struggle to get that cooler in with the large end tanks as the piping will probably run in to the fog lamps at the back, i had that problem with mine on the drivers side as i pulled the bracket across and made a support brace for it, so i just grinded a huge chunk out of it so it would clear, but im still struggling to get the bumper to line up on the sides its out by about 3mm.

In regards to painting it, no need really, its not that noticeable unless you are looking for it, just looks like a aluminum radiator with end tanks lol.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Thanks Brent, I will make a note in this thread in regards to the gktech intercooler so nobodys gets caught out. I will stick mine on ebay. I will probably go for a 550x180-200 or thereabouts.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got a 600x300x100mm in mine and they managed to get it to fit behind the stock bumper :)Custom piping though.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
hey brad,

does the facelift frontbar have a bit more space??

There would be no chance of getting a 100mm core in the prefacelift...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
not sure on that one! It does stick out a wee bit more, but then the sides curve in earlier on the prefacelift one. A 76mm deep one is going to be fine anyway.

Top Bottom