NZ The last gdi legnum?

kiwiced

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ced
Drive
'97 Legnum
Hi all, I have always liked the look of the 97 era Legnums and I found one for super cheap, as it is a gdi it idles a bit rough but good enough for me, it is manual so my wife won't borrow it haha. Not many gdi ones left as they tend to gunk up apparently. This one had one diligent owner so has survived so far, but I know I will have to maintain reguarly etc. It drives very smooth ands has plenty of power for a 1.8. Have already serviced, changed the brake rotors, clutch slave cylinder, attached roof rack, and put a can of crc valve cleaner through it. Some great info on this site, will swap out the dim climate control next. Btw, oven cleaner got super hard gunk off the alloys. Merry Christmas, Ced from Auckland.

Last edited:

MrMann

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Johno
Drive
1997 Legnum - Non Turbo 6A13 - just hit 200,000KMS! 15,000 since ownership
1998 Super VR4 - Living on jackstands... for now.
Hi all, I have always liked the look of the 97 era Legnums and I found one for super cheap, as it is a gdi it idles a bit rough but good enough for me, it is manual so my wife won't borrow it haha. Not many gdi ones left as they tend to gunk up apparently. This one had one diligent owner so has survived so far, but I know I will have to maintain reguarly etc. It drives very smooth ands has plenty of power for a 1.8. Have already serviced, changed the brake rotors, clutch slave cylinder, attached roof rack, and put a can of crc valve cleaner through it. Some great info on this site, will swap out the dim climate control next. Btw, oven cleaner got super hard gunk off the alloys. Merry Christmas, Ced from Auckland.
I've always thought of GDIs as complete lemons.
So how is it?

kiwiced

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ced
Drive
'97 Legnum
I've always thought of GDIs as complete lemons.
So how is it?
From my research they seem to be good if maintained regularly with good fuel and synthetic oil from the start, which means most of them from the 90s are dead as most people are used to Japanese cars that can survive some neglect. My one is running well, it will stall on cold start but 10 secs of holding it to 1500rpm and it is sorted. Coming up the Bombay hills last week from Hamilton to Auckland the clutch started slipping but my learner driver son was driving and he didn't change down from 5th so that didn't help. Apparently changing the clutch plate isn't too hard/ expensive, and it doesn't slip on the flat so will sort at some point.

Top Bottom