The Mitsubishis we didn't get

G

Unregistered
Talking about conversions... When I imported the FTO - the guy who brought it in for me (Viper-MotorSports out Reynella way SA) and complied it (back under the old rules) had offered to swap the engine and drive line out for a GTO's twin turbo AWD set up... free of charge!!!

For some stupid arse reason I said no - (1 - I was not sure it would fit... 2, I was worried the end result would not be able to be insured... 3, I had only just got it and did not want to rip it apart just yet... 4, it already had a full body roll cage installed, (+ TEIN suspension and a massively loud exhaust so was cop bait already) 5, I was an idiot!!! :D )

All he asked in return was that I kept some advertising stickers of his on the car and turned up to a stack of car shows on his behalf... pretty damn good deal really!

Still not sure it would have fitted - the FTO engine bay was tiny - barely fitted the stock engine... That is why it was what I also called a "Baby supra" much shorter in the bonnet.

But if it had worked out - My god the car would have been hard to beat - at the light weight of the FTO 1170kg and the power of a GTO plus if he could have converted to AWD as well... OMG... but if it was kept FWD - there would have been very little point - would have just meant new tyres every 2 months due to wheel spin - and the torque steer would have been a nightmare!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Talking about conversions... When I imported the FTO - the guy who brought it in for me (Viper-MotorSports out Reynella way SA) and complied it (back under the old rules) had offered to swap the engine and drive line out for a GTO's twin turbo AWD set up... free of charge!!!

For some stupid arse reason I said no - (1 - I was not sure it would fit... 2, I was worried the end result would not be able to be insured... 3, I had only just got it and did not want to rip it apart just yet... 4, it already had a full body roll cage installed, (+ TEIN suspension and a massively loud exhaust so was cop bait already) 5, I was an idiot!!! :D )

All he asked in return was that I kept some advertising stickers of his on the car and turned up to a stack of car shows on his behalf... pretty damn good deal really!

Still not sure it would have fitted - the FTO engine bay was tiny - barely fitted the stock engine... That is why it was what I also called a "Baby supra" much shorter in the bonnet.

But if it had worked out - My god the car would have been hard to beat - at the light weight of the FTO 1170kg and the power of a GTO plus if he could have converted to AWD as well... OMG... but if it was kept FWD - there would have been very little point - would have just meant new tyres every 2 months due to wheel spin - and the torque steer would have been a nightmare!

Man...that's soooo not a simple job. The trans tunnel would've needed modification, plus the fact the motors are opposite in their orientation...that's so much work I'm glad you said no. He must've had no idea what he was in for or he'd not have said that.

My magna, for what it's worth, had no torque steer issues at all with 165hp at the wheels.

G

Unregistered
Talking about conversions... When I imported the FTO - the guy who brought it in for me (Viper-MotorSports out Reynella way SA)
what ever happened to them anyway? dissapeared one day....the chick in the yellow r33 skyline still kicks round the area.

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Yup

Yeah the ZR4 was my pride and Joy for 5 years, and I tell ya what with a few simple mods like breathing and exhaust she flew, you can quote me on this bUt I believe the Import VR4's of this age had a few more KW then the OZ model?? I love and miss this car darely, I just hope she is in good hands back in NZ
Damn, that's actually real nice. I dig it lots.

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
More Pics of the ZR4, 17s lowered made her sit well with nice stance
DarkVr4

G

Unregistered
" My magna, for what it's worth, had no torque steer issues at all with 165hp at the wheels."
You had the Auto? the Auto's where supposed to be far better - plus the magna weighs more...

The FTO BTW was 200HP and only 1170Kg so the manuals suffered from major torque steer! :)

G

Unregistered
what ever happened to them anyway? dissapeared one day....the chick in the yellow r33 skyline still kicks round the area.

The new sev's rules killed them - they did not have the $$ to become a RAW so they kicked around for a while doing the 15 year rule I think...

I have seen a red R34 with his Viper stickers on it though so they must be around still in some capacity... - the R34's where a pipe dream back then so it must have been a more recent import - still with his mark...

Can't say 100% the end result... their website is gone though...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
You had the Auto? the Auto's where supposed to be far better - plus the magna weighs more...

The FTO BTW was 200HP and only 1170Kg so the manuals suffered from major torque steer! :)

Nah...mine was manual. The autos in magnas are horrendous. The funny thing was that when I had the old SOHC 12v 6G72 it suffered torque steer...but when I converted to the DOHC 24v 6G72 it had none. I dont know if it was from the little bit of extra weight helped even it out or what...but it sure was strange.

200hp at the wheels though? Or at the fly?

G

Unregistered
At the fly. Mine was around 100Kw at the wheels on a 4WD dyno - and this was with a slipping clutch, old oil (not serviced for a while) and before I had the pod filter etc added.

On a 2WD Dyno you are supposed to see slightly higher figures.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Cool. My TR was around 125kW at the wheels. :) I've got the graph somewhere actually...
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~monstr/dyno.jpg
this was done as they were fixing a top end spark problem (as seen where it goes a bit weird in the top of the curve). They didn't do another one when it was fixed which sucks...but hey..I wasn't paying for that at the end of the day lol.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Here is another one we missed out on ...

Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo-R

airtrek.jpg

4G63 Turbo 240ps 4WD same body as the Australian delivered Outlander.

What has MMA been thinking for the last 10 years !?!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
sort of like a mini mpv station wagon, not really my thing, but they are quite quick

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
The poor old Outlander was a shocker. I drove a few before buying my X-Trail.
The original was one of the slowest things I've ever driven. 95kw or something from memory.

I quite like the newies.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
A friend of mine had a Mirage he stuck an FTO engine into... That thing pulled HARD, and it was made as a show car, so really looked the business - had an aggressive front bar that looked awesome. Sadly as he moved to NZ he ended up selling it for 16k after spending almost three times that on it :(

Top Bottom