The Mitsubishis we didn't get

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Here are some Mitsubishi's that we didn't get in Australia, other than our beloved Galant & Legnums.

We missed out totally on any Eclipse's in Australia. The pick of the 2nd Generation is the GSX which featured the 210hp Turbo 4G63 and 4WD and were very popular in the USA.

gsx-3.jpg

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Mitsubishi decided to go with V6 Front Wheel Drive for the 3rd and 4th Generation Eclipse.

The best 3rd Generation Eclipse was powered by a 6G72 3.0 Litre 24v SOHC V6 with 210hp

mitsubishieclipsegtsfront1.jpg

mitsubishieclipsegtsback1.jpg

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
The 4th Generation Eclipse GT, the current model, is powered by a 6G75 3.8 litre 260hp SOHC V6 and FWD.

800px-06-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-rear.jpg

Not a bad looking car I reckon !!!

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
While Mitsubishi were giving us the Lancer & Mirage in poxy FWD 1.5 and 1.8 litre versions, the ones we missed out on were the stove hot Asti RX(lancer) and Cyborg (mirage) Z and ZR's. These were the same shape as the Aus delivered cars but were powered by the 4G92 4cyl MIVEC engines producing 129kw at 7500 rpm.

They look the same as our Lancer & Mirage, but check out the factory Recaro's ...

Picture002.jpg

Make for a nice little track car I reckon :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I like those little mivec mirage and lancers, we see quite a few over here. We also have a handful of EVO 9 wagons, I've seen 2 of them around!

G

Unregistered
We didn't get a lot of the evo's, i don't think Evo 3's 4's 5's where locally delivered, and then they only released the TME Evo 6

Mean while Subaru was selling WRX's by the truck load

G

Unregistered
I'll get my hands on a CE Mirage Cyborg one day........4WD Hatchback with a 4G63 (stuff the 1.6L mivec) will be fun!

and you're right JMO, evo's 1-5 weren't sold here and you still cant import them, this is partly due to the CC GSR's which were the Australian equivilant. Evo's 6,6.5,7, and 8 can be imported though, as they were only sold here in restricted numbers. The way prices are going, wouldn't be suprised to see that evo 7's will be cheaper than evo 3's in oz in a while.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The 30M Mivec's are awesome, 200kw from 3.0 litres isn't half bad!

The 8A80 engine would fit into a Magna as well. Couple that with 4wd and you've got a great car that aussies would love

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
A mate and I from Aussie Magna looked hard into the 8A80 swap...it would've been awesome had it not been nigh on impossible to find a motor...and the one we did find was incredibly expensive.

We were looking into a transplant into a TJ AWD with a manual conversion...there was talk of Evo boxes fitting etc...ended up being a great idea just at a bad time financially...we couldn't do it.

I'm an engine conversion junkie...I have a whole list of engine conversions I want to do...one of them was a hemi 265 into a chrysler sigma for the hell of it lol.

There's blasphemous ones too...like a RB into a Charger etc...

G

Unregistered
I have always wanted to put a SR20 in a datto 1600, and a RB26 into a cobra kit car, that would be killer

G

Unregistered
You forgot the other MIVEC 2ltr V6 150Kw (200HP) Non-turbo car we missed out on... (Again FWD :( - but hey - one of the sexier cars Mitsi has ever made! )

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Yes !! The FTO is a hot shape, a bit like a mini Supra. Shame they never did a turbo 4wd model :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
If they did a turbo 4wd model that would've been awesome.

I raced a MIVEC FTO in my magna when it was still alive...it was good fun.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
That Starion is awesome. My brother had a few JA starions over the years and we knew a bloke who had the widebody gaurds but he wouldn't sell them to us. They still look great :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Ben - You're wrong about the EVO 9 wagons, they were available here in 6 speed with Brembo's. Not too sure about Recaro's, I can't really remember that!

I like FTO's too, but it was a pity they were only fwd.

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
hey team here is a pic of me 88 ZR4 which i owned in NZ, dont know if you guys got them here in oz, basically had te 4g63 engine etc etc same as the 88 VR4 but with a back hatch...........anything else to add guys? oh and of course it was a jap import
8516417_full-1.jpg

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
^ the best we got in that shape was called a GSR and was front wheel drive non-turbo 4G63 :(

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Hey Ben, the engine from those Debonairs was something to shed tears over though!

DOHC 24v 6G74 3.5l, 198kW around 360Nm torque stock, more power than a ralliart! and that's just the run of the mill mitsu luxury car tune too, so it has heaps of potential. I've actually got one, it's in my old man's garage. They bolt in to TR magna's that had the V6 stock. That was going to be my next conversion (told you guys I was conversion junkie lol)

Top Bottom