History of the 8th Generation VR-4

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I have the MMCS too but I don't rate it, when I have some spare cash I'll be pulling it out and putting a better stereo in. I'd imagine the sunroof would weigh a bit, its a big solid bit of glass.

Id say a manual is a rare option and one with a sunroof would be even more rare. If you wait long enough you will find one.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Great write up but i have a serious question that i couldnt find in the write up. In the near future i will be looking for a legnum. Did they make a facelift model with AYC, sunroof and manual gearbox and high vis dash? ive been looking around and havent seen many im also after a specific colour which is the trigger mauve. Hope this is not a stupid question and someone can shed some light.Thanx.
Technically, you could option the car as you liked up to a point. All facelift Type S legnums came with high-vis dash and AYC, MT was an option (only about 10% of all cars made had it) and sunroof was purely up to the individual ordering the car. I have a '99 with everything on your list except Trigger Mauve. No factory Recaros, though I did get roof racks. These days with all the clip-on aftermarket racks though, you can probably get away without them unless you're intending to cart something quite substantial about on your roof.

Having gone through the process and seeing heaps of others over the past three years, my recommendation would be to find a car with the right core options that can't be added later - year of manufacture, KMs, condition, sunroof and colour fit that bill. Seats can always be found later, and even MT can be converted from AT if required - you'll find 8 or 9 cars with your option list in AT before you'll see a manual...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yep, all facelift manual Legnums were Type S's with AYC and the Hi Vis dash. You can get sunroofs and your choice of colour too of course. I agree with Trev though, it will be really hard to find what you're after.

I have a Trigger Mauve facelift with sunroof, recaros and mmcs all from factory, but mine was an auto originally. Ohh and thankfully doesn't have roof racks!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ohh and thankfully doesn't have roof racks!
#^&@ you, Bradbrad!! >.<

I'm actually putting mine to use for the second time in a couple of days - got a 2.5m long container to pick up. And they're invaluable if you need to transport bonnets ;) So they HAVE proven useful for me. The funny thing is, when I see a VR4 without them I can't help but feel that there's something missing. My brother's car always looks naked to me!

But yes, if you have no functional use for them and your brain hasn't been twisted by seeing a VR4 with racks every day for three years, then I suppose a 'naked' version will probably appeal more :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Heh, my mums ST-R has them and I have never used them. None of my 3 cars have them!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I don't have those noisy ugly wind resistive racks either :D

I just have the ones you put on when you need to put a pod on the roof or whatever (and then they scratch into the paint but life's not perfect).

And does anyone know the weight of the sunroof?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The sunroof is fairly heavy but unless you weigh an entire roof cutout I'm not sure how you would figure out what the real weight difference is.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I thought it was around 10kg for some reason... It should be possible to find out from the boxed kit weight, or from a wrecker who's removed one. Minus the weight of the roof panel removed, which is probably 6 or 700g at a guess. But just the glass panel alone is likely to be 3 or 4kg I'd say - it's a pretty big piece of glass!

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Does any one know what the coty model only has 193KW.
Is it cause its auto?

read it again. found out my answer.
cant delete posts.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Series 1 Autos = 191kw (260hp)
Series 1 Manuals, Series 2 Manuals, & Series 2 Autos all have 206kw (280hp).

Just a boost change is the common consensus for the difference.

Lottery

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Laurence
Drive
JDM Honda Prelude BA5
So one would be pretty hard pushed to find a 98/99 facelift Galant Type S semi- auto with, AYC, ASC and TCL plus a sunroof huh? Probably have to have one imported?

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
You will be able to find one with AYC and a sunroof, but ASC and TCL will be rarer than hens teeth...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Series 1 Autos = 191kw (260hp)
Series 1 Manuals, Series 2 Manuals, & Series 2 Autos all have 206kw (280hp).

Just a boost change is the common consensus for the difference.

Seeing as the thread has been revived....

The specs alledgedly say this but every auto I have seen runs less boost, id say theyre all 191kw. Fl or not. Its only a boost control table that is different as far as I can tell at this point....

Makes sense given the strength of the auto box

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Why is that? I've noticed that mine has never turned on. I guess the 4wd traction is very good?

i think our cars came with the 1st gen TCL because it causes more issues than assistance to the driver..

Lottery

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Laurence
Drive
JDM Honda Prelude BA5
You will be able to find one with AYC and a sunroof, but ASC and TCL will be rarer than hens teeth...

TCL is useless. Dont be disappointed if you don't get it.

Cheers for the quick reply peeps. Would really like to have TCL - AYC and a sunroof are practically non-negoitable though. Hunt is on now I guess. BTW white is a pretty common colour right? What is the least common?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Cheers for the quick reply peeps. Would really like to have TCL - AYC and a sunroof are practically non-negoitable though. Hunt is on now I guess. BTW white is a pretty common colour right? What is the least common?

Trust me, and others. You wont miss TCL.

Also, THE most common colours are Trigger Mauve & White.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I've had 2 Legnums, both with TCL. As Trev has stated, it's useless & will rarely if ever come on. To me, AYC & TCL are opposing technologies. You'd take AYC over TCL any day of the week.

Steve, what you're saying is you think ALL autos are 191kw?
We should get a stock PFL & FL auto VR4 & test them. I can put my hand up for a PFL stock auto.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
So one would be pretty hard pushed to find a 98/99 facelift Galant Type S semi- auto with, AYC, ASC and TCL plus a sunroof huh? Probably have to have one imported?

You could say... Its like winning the Lottery.

YEAAHHHH!!! *Insert CSI Miami theme*

Top Bottom