DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Hi guys,
Newish to the legnum game,

Ive notice up hills and on hot days that the temp kicks over half way, heading towards 3/4

If I turn the AC on, the high speed fan kicks in and temp comes down below 1/2.

My question is;
Should the standard relay kick in high speed when the engine gets hot? Or is there only a low speed setting?

Ive done a quick search but no definite answer.

Plugged into a snap-on solus pro diagnostics, i can test both low and high speeds, but both are the same speed (low im assuming)

If its supposed to kick high speed in i'll start troubleshooting & order a new relay.

Cheers in advance

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I believe the fan speed is varied by the resistor, ramps up and down based on temps and road speed so it's more than just a high or low situation. Turning on ac forces one fan to run fast to pull air over the condenser. Not sure anything but evoscan/MUT-II tool can test functionality properly. Might be worthwhile testing another fan resistor.

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Thanks for the reply, ill look into that, but I have noticed when I pull over and it is above 1/2 the fan speed sounds the same as low when the engine is normal temp, and there is a massive difference between that and AC on.
i would have thought if it got that hot then it would ramp up towards full until the temp came down.

Thanks again :)

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Yep, was getting up to around 98 degrees C after 10 minutes of idle. Didnt get to data log while driving though.
And I dont think the fan was kicking in at that point

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Stock thermostat opens at 82 and 98 is working temp I believe. From what I recall reading on here, they tend to hover around there. I'd log some driving temps to ascertain if actually getting hot.

N.B. Can't recall 100% so don't take my vague recollections as fact :p

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
I've forced the fans on through EvoScan, and the high speed mode turns both fans on to same speed (high) as when the AC is running ie: flat-out max cooling.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Can anyone tell me if there is a feedback from the hedgehog to the ecu? Disconnecting the signal wire seems to affect idle revs and I'm not sure if it's just additional battery load

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Thankyou AKKO, that thread is gold!

Gives me a few things to start looking at,

I feel like a no0b now, apologies for not searching deep enough :)

Top Bottom