This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
To quickly explain, I did a wide right turn, I was driving nicely, maybe a little too quick for some but nothing crazy..

several meters after the car wanted to turn left.. feck!

anyway here's what I saw after pulling up..

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

As you can see the front left tire had pushed in towards the back.. causing it to push into the guard and sideskirts
IMG_0998.jpg

And upon further inspection, this was what had happened..
IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

and this is when I got dropped off at a train station and the tow truck about to drive away..
IMG_1007.jpg

Im meant to replace them control arms in 2 weeks time too.. just as a precautionary..

but looks like I was a little too late..

damage isn't that bad, but sure isn't nice..

already got plans on how to attack it..

Paulie's lending me his set of control arms (thanks dude).. so I'll replace all of them once and for all..

then take it to my dad's friend's workshop to get beaten down.. lol I mean straighten up

so to those who hasn't replaced their control arms.. please replace it soon as it can happen when you least expect it..

*update*

and this is how you can determine if its on the way out..

video was from CVR4 which was uploaded by a member..

i experienced the same sound few months then it disappeared before it gave out..

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
O SHIT!!!! that a sad site. sorry to hear mate hope u get it fixed soon ;)

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
That's terrifying, looks like it could lead to quite the accident.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
That's terrible news, Christian!

Hope the repairs are straight forward and the car is back on the road soon.

How many K's had the car done?

Which replacement control arms are you getting and where did you get them from?

ed84

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddie
Drive
09' Mitsubishi SWB Pajero NT X DiD, Honda CBR250rr
HAD: 99' Legnum s 2 Type S, 98' Galant S2 Type V
Christ... Good luck with the repair dude.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Fark dude! thats insane!

Glad you are ok though. I can't begin to imagine what would happen at high speeds!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
thanks fellas.. it should be back on the road by monday, the fender repair will have to wait as I want it back on the road for couple of reasons..

car's done 190k kms.. but I've replaced the control arms about 60k kms ago..

with the replacement, Im getting the ones from Paulie's.. not sure if they're new but we'll see what he says :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
dont wanna imagine if it happened at 100km/h..

I think I'm going through withdrawals just now... I WANT MY CAR BACK!!!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
So what exactly happened with what suspension parts? I can see the result, what was the issue with the LCA or was it something else?

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
From what i can see Simon - the ball joint on the LCA collapsed hence the whole assembly.

*shudders*

EDIT: 2nd last pic - You can see the bolt there still.

G

Unregistered
Are the arms you had fitted 60k ago genuine items? I'm comparing them to some on my desk here and they look slightly different.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
So what exactly happened with what suspension parts? I can see the result, what was the issue with the LCA or was it something else?

there's nothing wrong with the control arm itself.. its the ball joint that fails on us.. f-ing balls.. lol

luckily the axle got pulled from the hub side and not the transmission side otherwise it'll be more pain for me..

also I see this incident as a sign that I should find a way to upgrade them LCA's looks like Bruce's got another project for me..

my idea is to replace the control arm with high strength alloy and connected to the hub by a heim/rose joint?! I think that's what they're called..

here's a pic of it to give you a better picture.. that item in the picture is used on race cars..
IMG_0951.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Are the arms you had fitted 60k ago genuine items? I'm comparing them to some on my desk here and they look slightly different.

nah, they're the ebay ones.. can't remember though if they're from world suspension.. I think it would be safe to check and replace them every 2 years?!

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Yeah, the actual control arm is fine. The lower ball joint has seperated from the case. The only way for that to happen is for the joint to have significant wear, enough to let it move out of the 'socket', was it noisy or knocky at all? I've had it before with cars, like you said it is MUCH worse when it pulls the shaft out the box (thats what she said) then you have the shaft spinning for a bit smashing into everything it can/cracking housings/Ripping lines and shields etc. So yeah you got out pretty lucky.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
duuuuuuude! that first pic is a shocker! looks real bad in the pic, at least you got a free guard flaring from it ;)

my LCA's are fine ( i think) i only replaced them cause i could at the time, and i got a new set or arms/bushes from brad(KP) for a great price. ill bring my spares over asap.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
duuuuuuude! that first pic is a shocker! looks real bad in the pic, at least you got a free guard flaring from it ;)

my LCA's are fine ( i think) i only replaced them cause i could at the time, and i got a new set or arms/bushes from brad(KP) for a great price. ill bring my spares over asap.

my car's at my gf's place.. I'll be doing the work there.. wanna help on sunday?! I should have power tools and stuff.. so the control arms you got were your previously used ones?!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yeah thats cool. and yup, they're my old oem ones. they were replaced in japan under the recall (cant remember the k's, 30ish maybe?) and i replaced them at about 90,000 kms.

ill bring them over anyway, you can decide yay or nay

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
yeah thats cool. and yup, they're my old oem ones. they were replaced in japan under the recall (cant remember the k's, 30ish maybe?) and i replaced them at about 90,000 kms.

ill bring them over anyway, you can decide yay or nay

cool.. appreciate it :)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
That's terrible and something we all worry about happening at high speed. Like someone asked, were they making a knocking noise for a while before it happened?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
That's terrible and something we all worry about happening at high speed. Like someone asked, were they making a knocking noise for a while before it happened?

to be honest, there was some knocking sound - more like crunching sound.. but I was certain that it was coming from my coilover's spring seat, that everytime i grease it the sound would instantly go away..

Top Bottom