throttle body upgrade

G

Unregistered
i've been thinking about a throttle body upgrade aswell.

was it Gly who put a NA 6A13 TB on his?
mine has traction control,so i thought chucking a NA TB on will not only increase flow (along with a bored out plenum) but it will also remove the traction control.

anyone know if i'm right/wrong in my assumption?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the intake plenum isn't much bigger than 60mm, so I doubt a 90mm would help much more than a 63 or 65mm unit.

Mitch - I replied on cvr4, I'm not really sure sorry!

G

Unregistered
a 90mm TB would be close to doubling the size of the stock one,
and with out a FULL aftermarket ecu its not gonna work,
and unless you have all big pipiing a probabilly bigger turbos its not worth it,

most factory ecus will handle a 5-10mm size increase, and will be able to be adjusted using just a piggy back fuel controller,

yes Gav, you will remove the TCL doing that, but you will need to remove all the other TCL components aswell (at least the ecu)

and you may have to get a ecu from a non tcl vr4, i dont know how integrated they are.

G

Unregistered
Going too large on the throttle body will lose you progressive throttle control. Theres a balance on everything.

RPW Does exchange bored out throttle bodies, taking the stock 60mm unit out to 64mm which is very noticeable on throttle control. Crispier throttle response and minor improvement in top end performance. THe intake maniofld needs ot be machined out to suit the larger bore and there are also RPW Thermoblock gaskets available to stop the heat soak from the water heated throttle body from heating up the intake manifold.

G

Unregistered
the intake plenum isn't much bigger than 60mm, so I doubt a 90mm would help much more than a 63 or 65mm unit.

Mitch - I replied on cvr4, I'm not really sure sorry!

you're supposed to know everything! bloody useless :p

i guess if i find one at a resonable price, i can give it a go... at worst i can see the TCL having a dummy spit, and leaving the light constantly on the dash.. so i'd remove the globe :p

G

Unregistered
if i'm gonna use this big t/b I definitely go with custom intake plenum....now I have two option either going with the Nissan Q45 90 mm or from KIA carnival 70 mm....which way to go guys?

About the ECU, I have no problem at all. I am going to stand alone anyway. Can't decide going with haltech e11v2 or e8

As for the turbo, I upgraded the turbo to a bit bigger one TD03H. My work progress a bit slow cause I have to re-do the engine mounting again. Seem that my engine mounting is not correctly made at the first time.

Note: My galant is SOHC engine and I swapped it with 6a13tt. I thought it would be easy straight forward job. But the mountin is a bit different. need to put a custom spacer on the left side engine mouting.

G

Unregistered
id go the 70mm,
anything bigger is pointless unless you getting massive turbos and a forged motor.

the rods in the 6a13tt are like match sticks, they are the weakest link in the standard motor imo

was your galant a 6a13 sohc? (a 2.5 v6) if so use the TB from that, the butterfly is about 8mm biger than the vr4 one

look thru here... my big TB mod is pictured in there... its the shoc v6 one

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
would it be possible to get an N/A Legnum Throttle body n plenum, i think i read somewhere they are larger and they bolt straight up but not sure if it's opposite side or something....

G

Unregistered
it will bolt up, its a completely different design thou, as it it designed for use on a NA. im not sure it will be of any bennifit to our cars.

the runners are longer, but the actual body is smaller, and looks more restictive. as it loops around abit to provide more even air distribution to each cylinder.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
hmmm....sounds like it sould be benneficial except for the throttle body then

G

Unregistered
no the TB is bigger, so is a bennifit,

the plenum chamber is smaller, so maybe worse off with one.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
so getting a N/A throttle body would be a cheap upgrade for the vr4???

G

Unregistered
depends what you call cheap,
i can get them, sometimes, not all that easy to get ahold off

they sell for 150au (inc shipping to oz)

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
how does that compare with getting an aftermarket one or getting original bored out???

G

Unregistered
Try out Magna (Diamante) TB. That's what I use... it's around 70mm.

G

Unregistered
Due to the huge price difference between the nissan and kia's thortle body...I might go with the kia's thorttle body.....maybe the shipping cost from japan to indonesia makes the price go up high for the nissan's...

Last night I discussed the intake plenum modification with some of my friend here....So i'm gonna do something like this:
normal_mitsubishi_03.jpg

But the picture above the piping is all mess up, I'm gonna do it better.

The reason I go with custom intake plenum:
- to fit the larger throtlle body
- better flow
- do you ever experience when changing the spark plug u have to un bolt the air intake piping and intake plenum just to reach those three cyl on the back side? So I'm thinking when I did the custom plenum which will be smaller. I don't have the hassle of un bolting those part. It's gonna be much easier.

What do you think guys?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Is there an engine in there somewhere!? :)

I hope yours ends up a lot tidier - look forward to seeing how it goes.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Just what exactly are you hoping that the larger throttle body will do??
Guys, with all your power levels pretty much below 170kW i'd be spending my money on other things.

If you think it's going to miraculously make power you'll be wrong. Save your money, get a FULL exhaust system, dump pipes off turbo's, 3inch system, big hi flow cat e.g. Catco metal cat with 5 inch body & up the boost to 12-14 and a decent intercooler.

Even then your limiting factor will the the tiny turbo's.

Formula 1 cars of the 80's ran 60mm throttle bodies and produced upwards of 900 hp out of a 1.5 litre engine....again, forget the throttle body concentrate on the areas' i've suggested.

Or not...

The RB25 in my Sil80 puts out 430rwhp, i run a 65mm throttle body, the current restriction is my exhaust housing, not my throttle body

Top Bottom