Tips for loosening a sump drain plug

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Calling all DIY mechanics...

Does anyone have any tips on loosening the sump drain plug?

I've been trying for 15 minutes and have only managed to round the corners on the plug :( Some w*nker must have done it up with an air tool or similar...

I've tried some WD40, a wrench, a socket (including taps with a hammer).

Should I just go buy a longer socket driver?

cheers

Lee

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Hi Lee

I use my torque wrench it is about 2ft long and nothing has ever given it any problems. You can borrow it if you like? I'm just at Coombabah.

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
This goes for all nuts as a last resort, if you've stripped the nut you can use the next size down ratchet bit (so use a 17mm if it's an 18mm bolt, or better yet use the imperial thats directly between them, so if it's an 18mm bolt use an 11/16ths bit) and hammer it on well. You need to know 2 things before doing it though:

1. you'll want a good quality set of ratchet bits, otherwise you'll break it. I find the powerbuilt whatever brand from Repco is a good option, even if you just buy the one bit.

2. you'll have to get a new bolt because it's going to be fair fooked!

We used this method on the seat bolts on my Laser, and it was my cheap and nasty ratchet bits that died and a mates good quality ones that didn't even have a scratch. Suffice to say I went out that day and bought some powerbuilt ones :)

-Dave-

G

Unregistered
Find any old bar to put over the handle to make it longer.
Bigger hamer/mallet. Hit it even harder.
Jack the car higher so you can swing the hammer better?
If the corners are rounding them the socket might be worn, maybe use a new socket fitting for a better fit. or use a spaner and hit the spaner with the hammer.
Tool quality always helps

or yea what Dave said :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You're doing it the right way?The most important thing really is to make sure your socket is on there straight and true. Once you've got that sorted, I've never found anything that taps with a hammer won't fix.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I used a combination of your suggestions - thanks guys!

Bought a bigger jack to jack it up higher, and used the torque wrench I had (but had to go buy sockets to fit it...)

So much for doing the oil change in a lunch hour!

cheers

Lee

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Another tip is to heat the nut with something like a heat gun.

G

Unregistered
If you're changing the oil while it's hot your sump bolt is pretty farking hot any way!Use six sided sockets (impact sockets). I have only ever had a problem with one bolt using impact sockets, so much so it bent a 1 metre bar! I gave up, and eventually the car was sold :)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yeah it's all good now - she's all back together and running amsoil oil and filter.

The amsoil filter is tiny :)

Here it is compared to a Valvoline z142a

IMG_4968.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

cheers

Lee

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
While we're on the topic of loosening worn bolts, there's a special type of spanner you can use that is designed to direct its force into the flats of the bolt instead of the corners. I've got one in 20-22 (they have a variable range, too) or something, I'll take a photo when I'm out in the shed next. Best thing I've ever found for moving stubborn rounded bolts :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
it is tiny.. seems like it's a z411.. which is for the 6a12..

I wonder if how well it does its job compared to other brands?

Top Bottom