tiptronic shifting

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
Hi I've searched but alas could not find the answer.

In the tiptronics i've driven in manual mode they all change once u hit a certain rev range. Is this true of the auto box in the Legnum as well? Does anyone know if there is a method of disabling this if this is the case? - other than buying a manual

Happy shifting

G

Unregistered
No shift up, but it will automatically shift down.

But you should test drive one for yourself and see if you like it, before buying.

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
thanks all thats what i wanted to hear Lee.

I did test drive one from Synergy in Adel but don't really feel comfortable pushing someone elses car, now if i break mine i fix it and don't do it again, breaking someone elses brings up to many nightmares

Harlequin

Crunching Gears
First Name
Trent
Drive
'98 Galant VR4 Type S
If I may hi-jack this thread instead of making a new one, when using the tip feature, is there bad lag between changing up/down with the shifter and the gearbox responding?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Less than a second from memory, which feels like an eternity but really isn't compared to driving a manual. You can really scream away from the lights with the auto in these cars. Some days I seriously miss the speed of the auto... but do love the feel of a clutch.

Harlequin

Crunching Gears
First Name
Trent
Drive
'98 Galant VR4 Type S
Awesome, I'm planning on getting a galant at the end of the year just trying to decide whether to go manual or auto.

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
I think the tippy in these cars are amongst the best I have used, albiet I have never tried DSG or the higher end of the market. I think without the 5 speeds it is a bit of a wank factor. I am extremely impressed with the firmness of the changing and speed that it reacts with. Any serious driving and it goes straight into tiptronic mode.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
The upshifts are nice and firm and quick enough , however when driving hard the auto is somewhat lazy in its downshift, you cannot snap down a gear like you can in a manual, which does limit your ability to use the engine to brake during this period, and also it means it takes a little longer before you can get back on the throttle after a downshift. It results in a period of reduced control over the cars attitude when coming into a corner on the downshift, as you have neither a braking or accelerative load on the wheels from the engine, your just 'coasting' for a period while waiting for the change to complete. Its Its Only an issue during spirited driving, but it can be somewhat frustrating, particularly on the 3-2 downshift. Fortuately due to the wide spread of engine torque, downchanges, and gearchanges in general are not as frequent as on a lot of other smallish displacement jap cars, and so this reduces the problem to an extent. I find it can be more satisfying driving to just leave it in (say) third and get on the throttle early, rather than shift down and mid corner loose the ability to influence the vehicle with either a positive or trailing throttle, while it (relatively) slowly engages the lower gear.

At a guess, its only a 1 to 2 second pause, but you need to accomodate this in your driving style in the auto, and in a manual you wouldnt need to, and you'd be a bit quicker and more confident in these situations. If you are doing a fair amount of commuting and mixed driving, and some fast driving the Tip is a great choice, but if its going to be a dedicated weekend car just for backroad driving enjoyment, and you really want full control a manual may be a better option for you. But Id definitely still be considering an auto if i was to buy again. Standing launches and full throttle upshifts are great. (Not that i ever jump hard on the throttle from a complete stop, i have too much mechanical sympathy to punish a vehicle like that.)

PS if an appropriate shift kit on the auto could tighten up the downshift, that would be a excellent mod IMO.

For completeness: My Auto is 55,000km old with synthetic Amsoil with a trans cooler. This behaviour i observe is with my auto, i have not driven a large number of these cars, so dont consider this neccessarily 'expert' opinion.

Also be wary of making a hasty assessment of the shift quality in a tiptronic , because of the "fuzzy logic" learning, if someone has been grandmothering the car for a while the shifts will soften accordingly. You may then get the wrong impression if you subsequently jump in for a quick trip round the block and try to make a judgement on it. You need to put it through its paces for a while to let it optimise the shifts as best it can for your driving, before forming a more educated view on its behaviour.

Anyway, hope this helps..

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
thats a pretty good explanation of how our auto's work, mine behaves the same way. kind of wish I bought a manual really

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Its a tough one, because the Auto is only a let down for a small proportion of the driving time. But 80% + of the time its easier to use or equal to the manual, or superior (ie no fuss standing launches, stop start traffic)

But, those rarer occassions when the traffic clears and the opportunity arises to really exploit the handling and peformance, when you really need everything to come together, the tip can take the shine off the experience a bit.

Sometimes i wish i had the manual, but more often im pleased i have the Tip... confusing, yes..

Tip vs manual, Do your research with an open mind toward the semi auto, make your decision and accept the compromise - neither is perfect, both are good.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I think it depends on what you are used to. I have only owned manual cars for a very long time now and I find it very easy to drive a manual in the heaviest of stop start traffic. I find that I don't get along with Auto's at all! My current company car is an auto and I'm forever fighting with it and getting annoyed at it's stupid gearchanges. A VR-4 gearbox is better, but Eddy summed it up fairly well just above, you have to think around it constantly and try and predict what it is going to do.

Top Bottom