Tire Pressure Monitor

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Found this and think its a damn cool idea, especially for long road-trips - getting a high-speed puncture can be extremely dangerous, so knowing about it instantly could not only save your tire, but your life! Hardly the cheapest thing in the world, but pretty cool nonetheless!

Also saves you having to drive to the garage once a week to check your tire pressure unnecessarily ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I have an air compressor at home and I check my tyre pressures every time I drive the purple car :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
How did I KNOW some smart-ass on here with a compressor was going to chime in? Hmmm?

G

Unregistered
What tyre pressure is everyone using?
17"....
18"....

G

Unregistered
I was using 32psi on 215/45 17" tires and felt the fronts were vague and scrubbing wide. Went to tire guy for allignment and he told me to pump my tires up instead. He recommended 36 front an rear which I did like a compliant little boyscout. The difference 4 PSI can make is unreal. I have proper tires now. Much better feel, accuracy and direction change. Experimenting with 38 at the moment, maybe unnecessary. Noisy as hell on a bad surface.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I run 36psi at the front and 34psi at the rear. I found having the same psi front and rear made the rear a bit twitchy

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i ran 40 fronts and 36 rear.. doesn't feel right having 36psi at the front.. feels heavy for me..

also underflated tyres also cause your fuel economy to lower itself.. and having overflated tyres can feel like a rock at times..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haven't checked the pressure on the VR4 as its not on the road yet. I've been running 42 on the magna for years. Higher pressure = less friction, therefore better fuel economy as Chris said. It also means less side-wall 'roll', giving you better handling around corners... But lower pressure gives you better grip... Unless you have it too low and put 800 horses into your takeoff, in which case you can turn the rim inside the tyre, twist the side-wall and tear the tires to shreds before you even get going! :eek:

Personally I prefer to buy good tires so the tire compound provides grip (as it should) and a reasonably firm tire provides good handling.

Top Bottom