To De-Cat or Not..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey guys.. I know removing the Catalytic Converters are illegal in Oz.. but with our cars can it pass the emission test if we are to remove it?

Brad & Gly - has it been done?

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Dunno, but is probably not worth the fine if you get caught !

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I'm going to go for a high flow cat instead of removing it.
I don't want to waste good money on fines when I could spend it on go fast bits :)

Lee

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It does make the car go a bit better, especially at the top end, I don't know what the laws are like over there, but here you can remove the cat without a problem :)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
1) You will never ever pass an emissions test without it.
2) The fine is issued by Dept of Environment and Heritage, not Dept of Transport, and can be anything up to $10,000...
3) A decent high-flow cat would have a negligible effect on performance.

G

Unregistered
personally if we had emmissions laws over here,
(which we dont, so i dont have one)

i would fit a high perfromance cat....

the boys in the UK have had great success with them,
better than the factory ones, and lower emmissions...

cat's only have a limited life span anyway, probabilly should be replaced after 5 years? or 80000km i beleive?

G

Unregistered
1) You will never ever pass an emissions test without it.
2) The fine is issued by Dept of Environment and Heritage, not Dept of Transport, and can be anything up to $10,000...
3) A decent high-flow cat would have a negligible effect on performance.

what he said.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
There's no way in hell you'll pass an emissions test without it. If you could...they wouldn't fit them would they? lol :p

Mitsu seem to fit decently flowing cats from the factory, their only issue is the diameter of them. But I was running the stock 2"(2.25"?) cat on my magna which had a 2.5" exhaust otherwise with custom extractors etc and there were no restriction issues that warranted getting a high flow. But, of course, the galants could be totally different.

G

Unregistered
Decating would also make the exhaust even louder, i know of a few guys that want to quiet down their exhausts, Droning is not cool kids.

The only reason i would decat a car now is if i was going to track it

anthony

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
tony
Drive
Rare Manual Legnum VR-4
would fitting a decat also increase fuel consumption?

G

Unregistered
no, it shouldnt change, very minor improvement if anything

G

Unregistered
maybe you can find a second hand stock cat, gut it and put it on your car. when you get done by epa put your stock one back on , do the test and your home free..
if you get caught i didnt say anything.lol

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Anthony - because there isn't an additional O2 sensor after the cat there will be minimal change either way due to the less restriction, not due to the ecu tuning it differently.

Richard__

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Richard
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
2017 Subaru BRZ
2001 Audi S4 - SOLD
2010 Chevy Cobalt SS - SOLD
1990 Chevy C/K 350 - SOLD
1998 Eclipse GS-T - SOLD
Hey guys, bringing this thread back for a minute. I know for some of you it's illegal to remove the cat where you're from, here we do not have emissions testing or anything like that.
Question is if I were to get an exhaust shop to remove the cat section, will I get an engine light? I run a straight pipe on my BRZ and when I removed the cat I had to change the tune to remove the light.
Also, how much louder will the Legnum get roughly? Will it sound okay, or really drone?
Thanks!

Mattalot

Sparkly Oil
First Name
Matt
Drive
2006 Subaru Liberty Spec.B Manual

1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 Auto

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual (Aus Spec)

2021 Daihatsu Copen GR Manual
Hey guys, bringing this thread back for a minute. I know for some of you it's illegal to remove the cat where you're from, here we do not have emissions testing or anything like that.
Question is if I were to get an exhaust shop to remove the cat section, will I get an engine light? I run a straight pipe on my BRZ and when I removed the cat I had to change the tune to remove the light.
Also, how much louder will the Legnum get roughly? Will it sound okay, or really drone?
Thanks!
Can't say for noise as mine hasn't left the driveway in a month...

But you wont get a engine code as there's no sensors after the cat.

Can't get a code if there's no sensors after it to detect a change.
Same goes for any car.

Top Bottom