Torque Android App - Live OBDII Reader

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Has anybody tried using any of the OBDII apps on their VR-4? It's the 'torque' app in particular I'm curious about, it seems the most useful. Apparently it can tell you your fuel pressure, boost pressure, RPM, engine temperature plus a massive list of other shit.

See here http://lifehacker.com/how-to-unlock-a-treasure-trove-of-useful-data-from-your-1563366446/ travis

There is a MUT plugin available for the app specific for Mitsubishi vehicles here

I'm curious whether it's worth getting a bluetooth plug and giving it a crack, or if it just flat out won't work for what ever reason that someone can warn me about.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Tried torque with a PLX Kiwi a while back. Didn't have the correct protocol in the list or available at the time so it wasn't of much use. Spotted the MUT plugin but didn't feel like hazarding the money without a guarantee (yeah yeah, I know, it's only $5). Ended up acquiring and modding a cheap FTDI chipset usb > serial OBD2 cable which works perfectly with mitsulogger. Would be handy to have a display with configurable guages though a la Evodroid. Keen to know the outcome if you attempt this. The PLX Kiwi is a good bit of gear.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
If I had the bluetooth plug I'd happily shell out for the app and plugin, just don't want to waste $50-$60 on something that may not work.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Has anybody tried using any of the OBDII apps on their VR-4? It's the 'torque' app in particular I'm curious about, it seems the most useful. Apparently it can tell you your fuel pressure, boost pressure, RPM, engine temperature plus a massive list of other shit.

See here http://lifehacker.com/how-to-unlock-a-treasure-trove-of-useful-data-from-your-1563366446/ travis

There is a MUT plugin available for the app specific for Mitsubishi vehicles here

I'm curious whether it's worth getting a bluetooth plug and giving it a crack, or if it just flat out won't work for what ever reason that someone can warn me about.

A guy at work has bought an OBDII Bluetooth adaptor. Might ask if I can borrow it.
Will try the free one first. Not sure I want to fork out $6 for the pro and then another $6 for the MUT plugin on top of that.

Update: gave it a go with the Torque app on my car. Had trouble getting my bluetooth to find the adaptor, then it couldn't find the ECU. Tried it in his Turbo Focus and I was receiving information.

Not sure if it means we cannot do it at all or just that this particular dongle cannot receive our ECU info

Also, the free versions interface is hideous.
I hope the pro is a lot better.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
A guy at work has bought an OBDII Bluetooth adaptor. Might ask if I can borrow it.
Will try the free one first. Not sure I want to fork out $6 for the pro and then another $6 for the MUT plugin on top of that.

Update: gave it a go with the Torque app on my car. Had trouble getting my bluetooth to find the adaptor, then it couldn't find the ECU. Tried it in his Turbo Focus and I was receiving information.

Not sure if it means we cannot do it at all or just that this particular dongle cannot receive our ECU info

linky?!

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant

From what I've read elsewhere, the MUT plugin is required for our vehicles. The MUT plugin also only works with the pro version.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
From what I've read elsewhere, the MUT plugin is required for our vehicles. The MUT plugin also only works with the pro version.

Will ask if I can borrow it this weekend and if anyone is keen to download the apps can try it on their car at the wash meet on Thursday.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
To what Christian? The dongle or the app?

Edit:
Just shot an email off the the developer to see if he knows if anyone has had any luck running on a vr-4 before.

Didn't want to spend the $13 if it doesn't work.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
i do have an OBDII blue tooth device that looks very similar to that and it does not work in the VR4,

modified OBDII-USB with FTD chip works fine with EvoScan as posted elsewhere......

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Just shot an email off the the developer to see if he knows if anyone has had any luck running on a vr-4 before.

I wouldn't just limit to asking about a VR4, ask if it works with any non-US Mitsubishi from ~1995 til ~2004 that use MUT2 protocol only (US cars supported both OBD2 and MUT I believe)

I'd say it wouldn't work... While our cars have OBD2 connector, and use ISO9141 signalling/pinout (except slight variation, K-line is used bidirectionally to send/receive data, L-line is unused), the protocol used to communicate is proprietary.

So for this to work (in my eyes):
  • Need to ensure adapter is only using K-line only.
  • Able to earth Pin1 of OBD connector to put OBD bus into 'diagnose' mode.
  • Able to use custom baud rate of 15265.
  • Able to support bit-banging in order to complete five baud init. (Most of these Bluetooth adapters are serial, much like the VAGCOM cables - so only way to do this would be bit-banging)
  • Understands MUT protocol; how to address various systems on OBD bus, how to send MUT request, how to parse reply.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Just got this as a reply:

Hi,

It is firstly untested on your vehicle model and most probably will not be supported as the plugin still requires torque to be able to connect to the ecu.

On Apr 16, 2014 3:06 PM, "Samuel> wrote:
Afternoon Mate,

I am just curious as to whether this has been tested on Mitsubishi Legnum/Galant VR-4's at all.

Trying with the free version, it doesn't seem to see my ECU at all.

Just wasn't keen to purchase both the Pro & the plug-in if it isn't supported.

If it helps the cars were made between 96-02.

Cheers,

Sam.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Hopefully I can bring the dongle tomorrow night.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Mini ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Auto Car Diagnostic Scan Tool (12V) for $12.31 delivered here.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
as I got so excited last night, I wanted to try my openport last night, upon trying to connect the cables, i realized im missing the micro usb (male) to usb A (female) cable, so regardless of what I wanted to try, it will not work..

left the car and went back into the house. forgetting that I had the cabin lights on..

..so this morning i unlocked the car and noticed that the central lock was very slow to respond and the alarm's flashing light was dim. I then realized that Im gonna be in trouble.. lol

Mini ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Auto Car Diagnostic Scan Tool (12V) for $12.31 delivered here.

does this one work?

Top Bottom