Towbar

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Took my car around a few Towbar places today, no luck with any of them to be able to fit one on the VR4, all recommended me to see an engineer to get one made up, so will do that next free day i have but i'm also inquiring to a few companies in NZ, prices for towbars kits or just buying the part off them and freight if possible.

What i'm after is basically a towbar that has a removable tounge for when i'm not towing and also doesn't have to be cut into the back part of the kit which shouldn't be a problem because the rear sits up fairly high on the back of the VR's

Will keep all posted on how this goes for those interested in getting one put on!

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
yep, very interested to know how this pans out - i definately dont need one now, but in a few years I might.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Group-buy perhaps?
A good towbar is something that I will need.. soon.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
OK one company in NZ has got a removable tow bar set up for $360 plus freight of between $170 - $200 to Melbourne, total cost of $550 approx, haven't asked about a GB situation yet like to get a gauge of numbers first.

I will be looking into getting one in next few weeks and will also look into a few more companies.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
sounds good im interested as well as a GB will buy one when everyone else does, if you want me to do the bargaining let me know who it is thats selling them and i will chase it and get a good price on them. im always known as the bargainer :)

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
I would be interested when the car actually arrives... may be a while tho as due to leave japan on the 18th Sept.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Went to another place today to see if they will make one for the legnum, $800 installed, fully custom so thats why a hefty price

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
If a group buy goes down, count me in, towbar is always handy.

As a relativley amatuer spanner swinger, could the tow ball be installed by me or would i have to take it somewhere?

G

Unregistered
i would go for the custom oz made one...
did they specify that the (nz one) will not interfer with the ayc pump in the back of most vr4s?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Carsten - I spoke to best bars because I was going to get one put onto the white VR-4. They said they know what AYC is and that I didn't need to worry about it at all, they weren't going to mount anything into the side of the pump or anything :)

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Yea when i emailed the NZ company they asked what type of model eg, vr4 str ect, and if it was 4wd, looking under the car yesterday the chassis where you would have to attach to on either side is on far side of the exhaust (outside of car side) so depending on your exhaust the NZ frame may not work around after market larger exhaust etc i'm guessing:confused::confused:

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Ok, me car is going into the shop on wednesday to get a towbar fitted, $800 custom fitted, removable tounge over 1200kg rated, for anyone still interested in ordering kits from NZ, pm me and i'll pass on details of the companies.

Personally i couldn't wait long to get one, planning to get the jetski out next weekend so need it soon.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

I was talking with the mechanic at SSV the other day, and apparently he is getting one of the next Legnum's which they have coming in.
He has already arranged for it to go to a workshop to have it measured up for a towbar, again, removable tongue, no cutting of spoilers and alike. I am waiting for the quote on the manufacture, as I want a towbar for the kids bikes. So if anybody else is interested, would be happy to try and arrange a group buy through them (if the price and quality is OK)

Regards

Gavin

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Sounds good for any VIC guys, will take photos etc of mine when done...

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I look forward to seeing some pics, it would be good to be able to use our trailer again lol

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Ok guys i'm been pretty slack lately had the towbar fitted a few weeks ago and here are the pics i said i'd put up.

All up cost $750 it's rated at 1000kg ish, but only because my cars manual

Attachments

• PA060241.JPG
    PA060241.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 199
  • PA060239.JPG
    PA060239.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 195
Top Bottom