Toyota FT-86

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Subaru and Toyota teamed up to bring out a new lightweight RWD coupe, also to revive the Classic AE86

I like it =]]] What do you guys think? Reckon it is a good update to the original AE86?

Write up and 8 photos here:
http://www.7tune.com/ft-86-concept-debut-at-toyota-metapolis/

and here:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/toyota-ft-86-2009-10-06

7Tune said:
As for the FT-86 concept itself, the team here at 7Tune gives it a big thumbs up. While the FT-86 borrows a lot of styling cues from the FT-HS hybrid sports car, which isn’t a bad thing at all, it also has a style of its own which surely will become a legendary car in the future in its own right. Links to the original “Hachiroku” aside, the FT-86 concept should translate into a very desirable road car despite it’s lower power rating which current rumors suggest will be around 160HP200HP. Some have already mentioned that the Subaru sourced 2.0L flat-four engine severs any links with the original AE86, but Toyota has done a lot to keep the essence of the original in a truely modern lightweight RWD concept and for that we think it’ll be a winner. 7Tune will be at the Tokyo Motor Show press days so stay tuned for more photos and information later this month.

TopGear.com said:
The FT-86 is labelled a concept, but is expected to reach the road in 2011 alongside a Subaru-badged version.

It's powered by Subaru's 2.0-litre boxer engine, which puts out 146bhp in current production form but should develop slightly more in future iterations.

As we're well aware, the four-pot can be turbocharged to produce monstrous power outputs, but that would also put the price up: Toyota and Subaru are aiming to keep the cost as low as possible to attract younger drivers to the brand. The coupes should weigh in well under £20,000 when they go on sale in the UK.

The FT-86 has a 2+2 seating configuration and measures 416cm in length, just a fraction longer than the Audi TT and around 18cm shorter than the Lotus Evora.

toyota-ft-86-concept-_2.jpg

toyota-ft-86-concept_4.jpg

toyota-ft-86-concept_5-1.jpg

Tons more pics here:
http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/toyota-ft-86-concept

Check out the DVD player! Zipper? Haha random!
08-toyota-ft-86-concept-press.jpg

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Looks like a Celica, 370z and some kind of Lexus had an orgy and came up with this.

Still, I'm happy provided that Subaru has nothing to do with the styling.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
hmmmmm, i like parts of it and hate other parts of it

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I like it, its about time toyota made a decent sports car again. 2J swap anyone.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
2J swap anyone.

No.

It looks absolutely freaking gorgeous. The big test, though, is whether or not they can get this down to the price they were talking about 2-3 years ago with the project was spawned. I'm going to take a leap and say they can't, which is a huge shame. The world has enough premium priced sports cars. There's a huge void in the affordable sports car market and I'm afraid the Kia "our customers want something that looks good, not something that goes fast, and also we can't spell" Coop isn't filling it.

And also, the DVD player makes no sense in this car.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
All that futuristic styling .... love the dash, all the ultra stylish stuff..really looks good.

Then they stick it with that funny gearstick thing in the middle with the numbers on it from the way old skool ! :thumbdown:

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Top Gear Site said:
It's powered by Subaru's 2.0-litre boxer engine, which puts out 146bhp in current production form but should develop slightly more in future iterations.

As we're well aware, the four-pot can be turbocharged to produce monstrous power outputs, but that would also put the price up: Toyota and Subaru are aiming to keep the cost as low as possible to attract younger drivers to the brand. The coupes should weigh in well under £20,000 when they go on sale in the UK

So NA it would seem...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
All that futuristic styling .... love the dash, all the ultra stylish stuff..really looks good.

Then they stick it with that funny gearstick thing in the middle with the numbers on it from the way old skool ! :thumbdown:

It is meant to be a modern interpretation of the AE86 concept. How exactly would an automatic gearbox fit with that concept?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Because simply they'd be making a car worse.

Fact - most car companies are trying to make their cars worse and worse each generation so that eventually they can become health care and pension companies like GM.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
It is meant to be a modern interpretation of the AE86 concept. How exactly would an automatic gearbox fit with that concept?

Here we go again people. I didn't start this.

& the AE86 had a 2L Subaru engine too ?

It's a MODERN 'interpretation', not a new AE86. In fact it's more a production ready version of a concept car.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I can see where you are coming from, a nice DSG/SST would be ok, and an acceptable modern interpretation, but the goal was to keep it cheap. No DSG's are cheap yet.

A full auto with a torque converter would simply spoil the car.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Great for drifting, just get the people the rear to wear rollerskates and have them put their feet down when entering a corner.

G

Unregistered
I think as a package the car is the goods (except the zipper DVD player).

To appeal to the younger market they have to keep it non-turbo, non 6/8 cylinder. Rocking up to the insurer with a 4 cylinder NA sports car is one thing, anything that screams "about to be written off" is going to cost a fortune.

That, and a turbo would add about $5-8k to the cost at least.

And fuel consumption is important to young people...

Think about it. Their target market are going to be people like me really - on enough money to buy a new car but don't want a $60k 370Z or RX-8, want it to look good and have some squirt without killing yourself, and need a mate to ride shot gun.

If you ask me, this is setup to compete with the MX-5 (except it seats 4), not half the cars you guys are thinking of.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
love the outside but the inside sucks, do the zippers open up the cd player do they ? why then is there 4 zippers ?

Top Bottom