Traction Control - helped needed from someone WITHOUT it

G

Unregistered
i'm trying to figure out what exactly is added on for the TCL.
after having a quick look at takumi's car last weekend, i noticed the throttle body is a lot smaller, and it doesnt have all the extra hoses and sensors that mine has on the firewall.

so my question is, can somebody take some photos for me, at a similar angle to the ones below?

i believe i can disable the TCL from a mechanical point of view, but i need to know if its actuated by the hoses that feed it (i've noticed that at idle, these is no pressure/flow in the hoses that run to the throttle body from the TCL sensors), or if it is electronically controlled, or both!

G

Unregistered
think i may have mechanically disabled it...
there are no lights on the dash to say TCL off/engine light

but the lights on the dash flash when it noticed there was wheel spin, but there definately was no traction on all 4 wheels... :p

G

Unregistered
isnt there an on off button on the dash for the TCL??? I thought I noticed a factory looking button on mine saying TCL? Is this what it is? Does anyone else have it?

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
How much better is it with the traction control off? Oh btw I haven't noticed a button to turn it off but would be interested if I could...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
you don't have it Matt, only prefacelift Auto's do.

Mitch, normally if you have the TCL disabled and start to slide, the ASC will still kick in. Maybe that was what happened? The only real way to test the traction control is to nail it on wet grass or something and see if it stutters and feels like it is about to stall when the TCL kicks in.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I reckon I do, or somethings weird... I was on some loose stones and I wanted to give it a bit and to do a sidways U-ie but the car lost power and didn't spin... And also when I try and pump it around a corner to get spin it just dies and feels like it's breaking slightly. Also I was cruising around a bend and had to jam the breaks on, the car started to loose traction at the back then it did a weird thing and straightened it self...

???

If it's not TCL what the crap is it?

G

Unregistered
facelift auto's can have TCL it just wasnt common.

and yes there is a switch for it on the dash.

brad - i nailed it from a standstill at full lock... it lost traction big time, but didnt retard the power like the TCL normally does.
the lights came on the dash that it obviously detected wheelspin, however i think i've disabled its ability to do anything after that :)

still chasing those photos so i know what can/cant be removed, but i think i've got it sorted.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Just to be annoying where abouts is the switch or maybe can someone post a pic of it...?

G

Unregistered
in the panel under the foglights.
in mine its got spaces for 3 switches, but i noticed in takumi's facelift, it is just a blanking panel.

happyvr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charandeep
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum VR4
The white cylinder on the firewall next to the tcl/ventilation solenoids is responsible for storing vaccum even when the engine is under boost. you can machanically disable TCL by removing one of the hoses from here and blocking it but the ECU will throw an error when it detects that power is not getting reduced.

G

Unregistered
yeah mitchy mine is a facelift and I'm pretty sure it has that switch...I'll have to check and take a photo next time I'm there

G

Unregistered
I reckon I do, or somethings weird... I was on some loose stones and I wanted to give it a bit and to do a sidways U-ie but the car lost power and didn't spin... And also when I try and pump it around a corner to get spin it just dies and feels like it's breaking slightly. Also I was cruising around a bend and had to jam the breaks on, the car started to loose traction at the back then it did a weird thing and straightened it self...

???

If it's not TCL what the crap is it?

If it's not TCL it *has* to be ASC, especially the way you describe it straightening itself. You can tell when my traction control kicks in, instead of launching out of a corner in a cloud of smoke it just stutters and *tries* to get moving but it can't because the brakes are on. Stupid little light on the dashboard with the skidmarks tells me traction control is on. Lucky I have a switch that turns it off :p haha.

If anyone ever needs their TCL or ASC tested just give me your keys and your car, I'll tell you in about 15 minutes what's working :D

I've been drinking and really want to go for a drive now but I'm smarter than that :(

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
You need 15 minutes to check whats working. hmmm let me see. 2 minutes to diagnose whats going on, then 13 minutes to have some fun before giving back to owner ;)

G

Unregistered
still chasing photo's if anyone can help!

this is the TCL throttle body....

big farker it is!

by the looks of things the "UFO" shaped item on the top right has some sort of diaphragm/spring in it, and under pressure/vacuum can close the throttle body regardless of actual throttle cable position... the basics of traction control. :p

so by plugging the hose as i have, the ECU can still detect loss of traction, and will try to counteract it, but by having the hose blocked it obviously cant!

i'd still like to remove the entire system (including figuring out how the dash lights, etc are controlled... doesnt seem to be ECU related), and replace it with a larger NA throttle body.

G

Unregistered
hope these help.....

Attachments

• DSC02181 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02181 (Medium).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC02182 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02182 (Medium).JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC02183 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02183 (Medium).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02184 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02184 (Medium).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC02185 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02185 (Medium).JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 99
G

Unregistered
last one...

Attachments

• DSC02186 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02186 (Medium).JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 80

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey There,

You would also want to check if you have the ASC controls in the car as well. Easiest way to do this is to pull out the centre console box and look for the 2 G sensors under there. If they are there, then the ABS hydralic unit will be different, and this is controlled by the same ECU as the TCL and ASC.
If there are no sensors under the console, then you should have the standard ABS.
You can also check the ABS hydralic unit under the bonnet, if it has 2 wiring harness from the unit into connectors, then it is a TCL controlled one. The standard has a single connector which plugs directly into the ABS Hydralic unit.

Regards

Gavin

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Hey There,

You would also want to check if you have the ASC controls in the car as well. Easiest way to do this ..

The easiest way to check for ASC is open the bonnet. At back right of the engine bay (across from the traction control) is a fuse box with ASC twice embossed on it.

Attachments

• asc.jpg
    asc.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 94
Top Bottom