trans locking binding

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
I have been getting some intermittent weird things through my transmission. Car is only a week or so out of compliance. I shall get the fluids changed this week.

However

3 times now when turning fairly slowly and hard to the left and slowing without brakes on (e.g. 90 degree turn into a suburban street) the transmission has sort of binded or locked up with a very unusually clicking/clanking sound coming from the front right side. It feels like the transmission has gone into first or something. Knock the transmission into neutral, back to drive, then take off again.

I can also induce a shudder at around 55km/hr if the transmission shifts into 5th. This problem is just a grabbing slipping of the transmission.

The first problem is much more worrying

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the shuddering at 55kmh in 5th is due to the wrong oil being in the car. Do a full 10-12l flush asap.

As for the turning to the left thing, it doesn't sound like the transmission to me, it sounds like a drive shaft or joint that is giving up and binding with something. Haven't heard of this problem before though, I'd get the mechanic's to check it out when they are doing the trans flush

khk

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Keith
Drive
VR4, MT & AT
as u think AT oil is a concern, very quickly get the box flushed properly and refill with proper gear box oil, otherwise replacing a box IS NOT cheap

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Have done a flush and changes seem better and no more shudder. On further investigation the throttle sensing may have been a tiny bit off and it was staying in a gear slightly too low on occasion. Whatever the problem it now seems gone.

The grinding/binding/clanking was more of a puzzle. AYC fluid was filthy so maybe that was it. The ABS sensors threw up a fault on the front right wheel (where the noise came from) and on inspection they were full of crud and looked like they had been knocked by something. They were cleaned up. No signs of wear or damage to the drive train/joints in that section.

I haven't been able to reproduce that fault, but then it was intermittent anyway (happened 3 times in about 3 weeks).

Here's hoping. The car seems to be running fine (even before).

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Great to hear most of the probs were just simple maint things like cleaning and flushing.;)

That should probably be a general STICKY tip when getting our cars for the first time that the most used fluids like drive train fluid get flushed and replaced. That was the first thing I did when I got my Galant!!:D

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Yep.

It would also have saved me a few hours of my time because the compliancer also did the service (they are a full mech workshop as well). So I could have had the fluids done during the compliance

Since the fluid change and the clean up of the ABS sensors I have had no more problems (but also not many KMs done)

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
AHHHHH

My car did the lock up thing again the other day. Apart from this intermittent fault it runs superbly.

Slow speed, turning left, clanking noise from front right side and it feels like all powered taken from car, or brakes applied.

This time the TCL OFF light came on during the event.

any ideas.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
hmm, the fact that tcl off is coming up almost sounds like there is something wrong with the braking system and it is turning the tcl off.

I'd suggest getting someone to look at the braking system.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Thanks.

I had the mech give it a quick look over and he suspected the ABS. The ABS threw up an error code on that wheel and he said the sensors were full of crud etc.

He cleaned up the sensors but did nothing else. Problem is it is so intermittent it is hard to demonstrate to the mech just what is going on.

Top Bottom