Transfer case

Leggy98

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jayden
Drive
1998 legnum vr4
Hay guys I'm having trouble getting my transfer case off. I have got it to move about half an inch and it doesn't want to go any More. Is there something I'm missing or should it just slide off.

thanks in advance

G

Unregistered
The half-shaft need to come out. You need to bolt a slide hammer into the thread on the end poking out of the transmission and give it a short, sharp yank. It will pop it out in seconds and then you can remove the transfer case no problem. I made one up from a bit of tube with a bolt welded in the end and a dumbbell weight that slid along it.

Leggy98

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jayden
Drive
1998 legnum vr4
hmmm ok thats gonna be fun cause the motor is still in the car. is it posible to get off while its still all in the car.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Yep. Do you have both front drive shafts out yet? As you will need to. Then the remaining shaft that the driveshaft slides onto on the passenger side of the car needs to be removed. You can use the above method or a small section of pipe with a flat disc, a bolt and a few washers. Then just screwing in the bolt pops it off.

Leggy98

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jayden
Drive
1998 legnum vr4
Thanks. Massive help I have got the motor out now and the transfer case off. :) :)

battery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
b
Drive
a car
I got mine off with two people and a few pry bars, not really recommended cause its easy to damage the casings.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Slide hammers are fairly cheap :)

Also, squidge everything back up neat before you remove the shafts. I had one slightly away before removing the half shifts and the split pin flung off inside the transfer csae.

Leggy98

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jayden
Drive
1998 legnum vr4
Is this normal for it to look like it has got cracks all through it. They don't show on the out side though?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 43

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Buy a pack of Rocol dry penetrant crack detection kit. This will show up if they are cracks or casting marks.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Is this normal for it to look like it has got cracks all through it. They don't show on the out side though?

its hard to tell, alot of cast aluminum do end up looking like that, what is trat form? rear diff?

also do what Size1 mentione ^^^

Leggy98

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jayden
Drive
1998 legnum vr4
Thanks guys. It is from the front. I'll try and get some ASAP and see how it goes

Frenche

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4
1988 Mazda MX-6 Turbo
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
Both of the gearboxes I have for the MX6 looked the same as that on the inside, I think it's just something to do with with how they are cast

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hi guys, is the output shaft seal (to wheels) from the transfer case the same as the one at the output to the wheels from the auto gearbox?
I only have 1, I think its for the transfer case, but I think I would rather replace the gearbox one now with oil drained.

Neither are leaking, just as a precaution.

Thanks

Top Bottom