turbo/mivec

G

Unregistered
Hello
Just wondering if this is possible or not ,wanna see what options i have but does anyone know if you can stick a turbo on a 1.8(4g93) without to much trouble or a mivec head. Now i know Feck all about engines , especially engines sittin in cars on the other side of the world(Japan dock somwhere)..... i know its probably more of an evo question but if theres any engineers here who'd like to share their knowledge , i'd appreciate it

Attachments

• DSCF3503__640x480.JPG
    DSCF3503__640x480.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 36

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
There's a book called Maximum Boost that is a highly recommended primer for anyone thinking about adding / upgrading turbos – if you do a search for “Maximum_boost.pdf” on Google you’ll find hundreds of links from which you can download it (25mb). :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
honestly, don't bother!

In the gdi you've got a nice quiet fuel efficient car that is reliable.

If you want to make it go faster then you should either buy an evo or a VR-4 in the first place, it will be cheaper and easier.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
somebody correct me if im wrong but isn't there a 4g93turbo engine already so wouldn't it be easier just to transplant one of those??

G

Unregistered
im not aware of a 4G93 Mivec engine existing.....

and RaZZa - yes, the CE GSR (nz) came with a 4g93 DOHC turbo engine

aus ce lancers had 4g93 SOHC or 4g15 sohc stock

the picture is a 4g93 GDI, however, could you be thinking of a 4g92 1.6L mivec motor?

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
lol, i told my dad to drop a 4g93t into is proton satria gti, it's already a 4g93 so it shouldn't be too much work, lolz

G

Unregistered
im not aware of a 4G93 Mivec engine existing.....

and RaZZa - yes, the CE GSR (nz) came with a 4g93 DOHC turbo engine

aus ce lancers had 4g93 SOHC or 4g15 sohc stock

the picture is a 4g93 GDI, however, could you be thinking of a 4g92 1.6L mivec motor?

i think he is asking if he can either turbo the 4g93, or stick a mivec head on it.

you can turbo anything.. it's just the question how much money do you want to throw at it, and is there an alternative?

i'd assume dropping in a 4g93t would be a cheaper option.. i know it was cheaper and easier to drop in a rb25det, over turbo charging a rb25de

G

Unregistered
ahhh in that case, get a DOHC turbo 4g93 off tradme or something.

its possible, never seen one on a GDI, but i dont see why not...

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
lol, i told my dad to drop a 4g93t into is proton satria gti, it's already a 4g93 so it shouldn't be too much work, lolz

This one is a 4G63, but it runs 10.3 sec quarters :eek:

set.jpg

G

Unregistered
thanks for the opinions lads ,appreciate it. yeah i might just drop a gsr engine in , see what happens.d'ya reckon thee'd be much more work involved like with th ecu and stuff?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Depends if there's enough room in the engine bay for the turbos, intercooler, piping etc. Personally I'd take any excuse to ditch a Malaysian car and get into something made pretty much anywhere else in the world...

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
thanks for the opinions lads ,appreciate it. yeah i might just drop a gsr engine in , see what happens.d'ya reckon thee'd be much more work involved like with th ecu and stuff?

You will have to get a front cut so you get the ECU and all the sensors. In the end you would be better off with a VR-4 for the same money.

G

Unregistered
I was looking into getting one of these and a vr4 leggie and trade in my sv6 is the gdi 1.8 the same as a 1.8 lancer or is the gdi different? is one direct injected and the lancer not??? I need to cut the fuel bill so a play car and a economical one would anyone recomend these??(gdi)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Are you talking about a GDI Legnum/Galant Thomas?

The GDI's aren't available for import into OZ, only the VR4s.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
Nuts i thought it would be cool to have 2 leggies in the drive way!?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Depends if there's enough room in the engine bay for the turbos, intercooler, piping etc. Personally I'd take any excuse to ditch a Malaysian car and get into something made pretty much anywhere else in the world...

I can vouch for a satria gti being a good car.. they got lotus suspension, a solid body, leather recaros, only thing missing is a turbo and awd... a mate used to have one, very nice little pocket rocket. They actually bought the scematics for the 4g93 dohc off mitsubishi, its basically the GSR motor minus the turbo.

G

Unregistered
Most of the 95-98 protons had the same engine a 4g15p and a version of the 4g93 and one of the wira variant had a 2L V6 (wira is almost a cc 4dr lancer).

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I can vouch for a satria gti being a good car.. they got lotus suspension, a solid body, leather recaros, only thing missing is a turbo and awd... a mate used to have one, very nice little pocket rocket. They actually bought the scematics for the 4g93 dohc off mitsubishi, its basically the GSR motor minus the turbo.
The quality of build is no reflection on the technology licensed in the design, a common misconception. I used to live in Malaysia and knowing intimately the work ethic and so-called 'quality control' practices and corner cutting prevalent throughout the country I wouldn't bet my life on their workmanship, which is exactly what I'd be doing getting in one of their cars. It's just my opinion though :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
There's a book called Maximum Boost that is a highly recommended primer for anyone thinking about adding / upgrading turbos – if you do a search for “Maximum_boost.pdf” on Google you’ll find hundreds of links from which you can download it (25mb). :)

90% of the links I could find were 404. But I did find this one which works:

< removed >

I'm not 100% sure if this is a free e-book or not. So if this isn't such, mods please feel free to remove the link. :D

Top Bottom