Turbo rebuild or replacement

luke12390

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
2001 Legnum VR-4 Auto
Hey guys,

I just got the car back from Meek. Ended up replacing the front turbo with a second hand one because the compressor housing had a chunk out of it and the fins on the compressor wheel were chewed up (lovely). It's running sweet now but it's got me thinking about the rear turbo. I haven't had a chance to look yet but I'm worried that the fins on it could be chewed up too. So I'm thinking of one of two options:

If the fins are chewed, replace the whole turbo. If they aren't chewed out, just to do a rebuild. Rebuild kits seem pretty straight forward, but if I was to replace the turbo, would this be a direct fit replacement? And is it decent?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291176554244&alt=web

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Just get a pair of 2nd hand turbos, plenty around....

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
Legnum with twin GT25R upgrade.
I've got a couple good turbos kicking around, shoot me a pm if you want.

luke12390

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
2001 Legnum VR-4 Auto
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and have a look at the turbo tomorrow and go from there.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
What do you think caused the damage to the fins? Has the car been driven without an air filter?

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
Legnum with twin GT25R upgrade.
Wow :eek: give the intake piping a good clean out and replace filter when you put the new tub on.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
That's not just no air filter, that's like a rock hit it! I've seen cars running no filters for months with no issue (not recommending it though), they don't look like this!

luke12390

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
2001 Legnum VR-4 Auto
Yeah it looks pretty fooked! I don't really know how that would have happened.

Looking at getting a second hand turbo. Would you guys recommend a rebuild? GCG's website says the base price for a rebuild is $850! Seems pretty steep. At that price I'm thinking an eBay rebuild kit is looking pretty good!

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Yeah it looks pretty fooked! I don't really know how that would have happened.

Looking at getting a second hand turbo. Would you guys recommend a rebuild? GCG's website says the base price for a rebuild is $850! Seems pretty steep. At that price I'm thinking an eBay rebuild kit is looking pretty good!

Hey Luke, what was the outcome here? Rebuild, second hand? I thought the 6A13TT ran TD025 turbos?

luke12390

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
2001 Legnum VR-4 Auto
I've replaced both turbos with second hand ones. Straight swap, no rebuild and it seems good at the moment. Not burning any oil any more. I won't know how good the change will be until a get a retune.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
I've replaced both turbos with second hand ones. Straight swap, no rebuild and it seems good at the moment. Not burning any oil any more. I won't know how good the change will be until a get a retune.

prior to the swap did it have any whining noises on boost?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I've just replaced two turbos. No weird whining noises just blowing smoke under load.

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
smoke under load could be a fuel supply/tune issue so... hard to tell without the noise :D Glad it is all sorted for you

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
smoke under load could be a fuel supply/tune issue so... hard to tell without the noise :D Glad it is all sorted for you
U know it's turbo when u have oil on the back window. Lol

Top Bottom