Twin Turbo?

G

Unregistered
OK... I have what I think is going to be a really stupid question.

Are the turbos one per bank or sequential?

I've only ever seen legnums on the road and haven't managed the time to take one for a test drive yet (so haven't looked under the bonnet).

I guess I had assumed that twin turbo meant sequential but then it occurred to me that with the age of the car and the v6 configuration, they could be one per bank.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
hey john,

welcome to ozvr4.

They are one per bank /3 cylinders to each turbo hence one on each side of the v.

Cheers,
Brent

G

Unregistered
Cheers Brent, I guess it was a simple one to answer, but I appreciate it.
I do like the idea of sequential... but I guess if you base motor has decent torque it is less of an issue.

Mind you from what I have read around these parts I wouldn't be surprised if someone modified to sequential (small and large) or even sequential for each bank.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
yeah, the single per bank works quite well, there is next to no lag, the only down fall is as they are smaller turbo's they run out of puff pretty quickly, however it has been found that they are good for around 220kw atw with mild mods and an ECU. they stock turbos are good for a max of about 15psi of boost.

sequential on each bank would pretty much be impossible as space is pretty limited having a v6, however there are a few guys putting larger turbo's on and seeing some good results also.

Have you driven a legnum/galant with the 6a13tt engine as yet? I recommend it you will be suprised on the response and power they have in stock form. I was looking at Subaru Liberty B4 about 12 months ago... they have sequential and it wasnt overally impressive, it was mild but nothing fantastic... see what you think anyway mate.

there are a large number of us on here with cars and waiting for our cars also being in Vic there are heaps in Melb's you should go meet up with the guys at the carwash on a tuesday night, im sure they would welcome you! i use to be a melbourne boy but moved up to qld in june...

any questions check the threads, some may already been answered if not just generate a new thread in the appropriate section, good luck with the car shopping.

cheers,
brent

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
sequential is stupid! If you've ever driven a subaru twin turbo you will understand why. Small bit of power at low revs, a huge hole in the power band at about 4000rpm where the turbos switch over - they actually lose about 20-30hp when this happens! Then the big turbo comes on for about 1 second, then you need to change gear. Stupid horrible motors.

G

Unregistered
yeah brad, i dont know of one sequential setup that doesnt have a hole in the power band.
either go for 2 smaller turbo's, or a big single and be done with it!
(or 2 big turbo's, wait 2 months for them to spool up, then hold on for dear life... yeeessssssssssssssssss...)

Top Bottom