Typhoon hits Japan

G

Unregistered
You haven't taken possession of it yet, and it's not in your name yet. I can't see how it'd be on your head if anything happens to the car while it's in transit or still in Japan. It's in a company's care at the moment, whether it's the yard or the shipping company, and they're liable for its safekeeping. If a typhoon blows it into the sea, I suspect the company - and their insurance - would be liable for the costs. But I'm no lawyer!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Well you haven't taken possession of it...but you still own it as you have to pay for it in full after you win the auction.

That being said...you should have shipping insurance which your broker should organise for you and incorporate it into your shipping cost.

G

Unregistered
Yeah, but I don't think it's bought in his name. I think the importer buys it in their name.

G

Unregistered
Well i paid the money from my account to the auction house, the broker never owns the car, because other wise if someone didn't want it they would not have to take it, and unless they have signed for it they could get their money back?

I would like to think shipping insurance covers it, but you never know with insurance agencies

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Oh well, I'll try not to worry :)

Will talk to Chef once he's back to find out exactly where it is.

cheers

Lee

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Yea the import broker is doing you a service - helping you to find and buy a car, using their contacts. Bringing my car over, it was always in my name.

I cant remember exactly, but i remember reading somewhere that if the ship your car is on sinks, you are liable for part of the salvage costs? Maybe im on drugs though.....:p

EDIT: and now theres been a massive earthquake!!!! hope everyones car is ok if its still in japan

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
hmm im getting a little concerned about this. I dont actually know what city my legnum is in. Pretty certain its in Kobe - any idea if Kobe was affected by the typhoon or earthquake?

Hope Kristian survived it all!

G

Unregistered
The other thing people should be worried about is if their car is on a boat or at the docks, because earthquakes make big waves

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Good luck Lee i am ure your guys rides are all good, well lets hope, surely this would have been disscussed with the importer prior to handing over the money, I would'nt know I paid yard price for my VR4.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Gilly don't stress - while it sits in the holding yard it's covered by the agent's insurance, and your car has transit insurance built in to the shipping costs.

There was a boat that went down carrying cars to the UK, and yes the owners of the cars were liable for the salvage costs of their vehicles, but virtually all of them were able to successfully claim the cost of the car and it's salvage against the shipping company anyway.

And yes I survived both the typhoon and the earthquake ;)

Harves

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rob
Drive
Formally a 1990 Mitsubishi Galant GSR until someone smashed it.
Gilly don't stress - while it sits in the holding yard it's covered by the agent's insurance, and your car has transit insurance built in to the shipping costs.

There was a boat that went down carrying cars to the UK, and yes the owners of the cars were liable for the salvage costs of their vehicles, but virtually all of them were able to successfully claim the cost of the car and it's salvage against the shipping company anyway.

And yes I survived both the typhoon and the earthquake ;)

I was thinking if you were still alive after I head the news of that in Japan. Good to hear that you are still with us mate :)

Top Bottom