Tyre Brands and their prices

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
We didn't have a specific thread for this so I thought I'd add it. This is just to talk about any good tyre deals anyone has seen and also discuss the pros and cons of specific brand tyres.

Anyway here's what I found with a days worth of searching. (My budget was around $200 per tyre and for 235/45/17)

Adelaide:

Sumitomo ZIII - Best Price I could find for these was at Tyrepower Parafield at $190 each, I found I had 3 tyre reps love these and 1 guy said they were shite. Hard to know what's what as everyone had something different to say.

Kumho KU19 $210 at Tyrepower Parafield

Goodyear Regatta - $189 at KMart Tyre and auto Modbury

Falken 912 - $180 at City Discount Tyres Nailsworth

Bridgestone Supercat - $179 Bridgestone Modbury, this guy was a laugh as he reckons all the tyres I looked at were shit and the supercats were the best.

Continental Pro Contact - $180 at North Terrace Tyres, this guy was an arsehole but he was very busy so I gave a bit of leeway. He reckons these tyres are usually $300+ and by far are the best choice. I'm unfamiliar with the brand so I have to do some reaserch first.

Bob Jane Xenon - $174 at Bob Jane Prospect
Maxxis - $155 at Bob Jane Prospect, probably wont go the Maxxis as I had them before and they shredded on me :(

So here is my list so far. If there are any good tyres that I have missed out that are in my budget range feel free to comment, also comment if you think that any are good/shite...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would search on the tirerack to see if any of those tyres feature and what their rating is like on them.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah they only had the 2 on for review - The Continentals and the Sumitomos.

The Continentals rated average but the Sumitomos rated well...

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I paid $205 a tyre for 225/40/18 Nankang NS-2's from Bridgestone, Tweed Heads, i'm sure i could have got it cheaper if I tried. Are a pretty good tyre, grip well wet or dry and are a hard enough tyre that they will last quite a few km's. Only real complaint is they have a little excessive road noise.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
We didn't have a specific thread for this so I thought I'd add it. This is just to talk about any good tyre deals anyone has seen and also discuss the pros and cons of specific brand tyres.

Anyway here's what I found with a days worth of searching. (My budget was around $200 per tyre and for 235/45/17)

Adelaide:

Sumitomo ZIII - Best Price I could find for these was at Tyrepower Parafield at $190 each, I found I had 3 tyre reps love these and 1 guy said they were shite. Hard to know what's what as everyone had something different to say.

Kumho KU19 $210 at Tyrepower Parafield

Goodyear Regatta - $189 at KMart Tyre and auto Modbury

Falken 912 - $180 at City Discount Tyres Nailsworth

Bridgestone Supercat - $179 Bridgestone Modbury, this guy was a laugh as he reckons all the tyres I looked at were shit and the supercats were the best.

Continental Pro Contact - $180 at North Terrace Tyres, this guy was an arsehole but he was very busy so I gave a bit of leeway. He reckons these tyres are usually $300+ and by far are the best choice. I'm unfamiliar with the brand so I have to do some reaserch first.

Bob Jane Xenon - $174 at Bob Jane Prospect
Maxxis - $155 at Bob Jane Prospect, probably wont go the Maxxis as I had them before and they shredded on me :(

So here is my list so far. If there are any good tyres that I have missed out that are in my budget range feel free to comment, also comment if you think that any are good/shite...

on a forum i'm apart of we can get kumho ku19's for $145 plus postage from brisbane i don't know if that is cheaper then you can get tho.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
That seems extremely expensive for 235s. Especially in Commo spec 45 profile.

You can get Sunny's for $90 each from Holfords. LOL.

Anyone found anything good and grippy in 215/40 R18 for around the $200 mark? Looking for something to go on th 18x9s on the front of the Sil.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Tyre power Parafield are normally right on the money (I have spent a lot of $ there), otherwise try wheelworx. They can normally do the Sumitomo's, Maxxis Z1's, Federals etc

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
What brand/model is the best for our cars? As in something hard wearing, grips well, low road noise reasonable price, Ect.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I was quite pleased with Toyo CT-01's which are on my ST-R. They don't have the outright grip that the GSD3's had, but they are a lot quieter and softer to drive on. I would recommend them as a 'touring' tyre.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
OK so I got quotes for a whole bunch of tyre brands for 235/40/18

Maxxis $197
Toyo $225
Falken $235
Kumho $215
Nankangs $185

So how do you know what to go for? The Maxxis got pretty good reviews online but you dont know if you can trust that.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I think the old saying 'You get what you pay for' reins true...

The NS2 Nankangs i am running in 225/40 18's have been great for me, i have only done 5k in a year with them but they still look and feel like new. Not the quietest tyre but i only paid 195 a corner.
Those Kumho KU36's look the juice, not sure how much they are but. I ran Kumho on my old Silvia and i loved them.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I ended up getting Falken 912's for $174 per tyre 235/45/17 from Bob Jane Salisbury. They feel great and received mostly good reviews. The only negative is that they wear quickly as said from some people. I don't really drive that hard anyway and being all wheel drive it's not like they will be lit up at all.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
anyone looked into marshalls? my mum has 19" avantis on her fairlane g220 (do you think she'd notice if they were 'swapped') and the marshalls cost approx 350 a tyre whereas all other brands like bridgestones etc were in the $800-$900 mark. i think for the size the cheapest i could find other than the marshalls was $550 and they seem to be pretty good

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
When I had my Celsior I got a set of 19 inch Nankang NS-IIs for $1050. Can't remember the widths but I think the rears were something crazy like 265. But my point is there's no point spending more than that on tyres for a big luxo barge that's going to be babied around everywhere...

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
anyone looked into marshalls? my mum has 19" avantis on her fairlane g220 (do you think she'd notice if they were 'swapped') and the marshalls cost approx 350 a tyre whereas all other brands like bridgestones etc were in the $800-$900 mark. i think for the size the cheapest i could find other than the marshalls was $550 and they seem to be pretty good

Marshalls are alright, not the greatest tyres in the world though. They are owned by Kumho though and some of their patterns aren't too shabby as they are ex-kumho branded moulds.

They may be expensive but fark it Bridgestone RE050's and the like are bloody good tyres.

Top Bottom