Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Hi Guys, I guess this is a good place to put this, as the Compliance at Shogun thread is getting real busy....

What is the reason that tyres need to be changed for rego/compliance ?

Is it

1: Tyres weren't sold here, thus not approved for Aussie conditions.

2: Tyres were sold here, but have no load rating or aussie code compliance

I got my car imported with 17" rims and it has Pirelli P6000 tyres 225/45/17. These tyres have Australia/USA/Canada Only codes on them.

Do I still need them changed for rego or are they the same thing sold in Aust ?

G

Unregistered
Number 2 is the reason ... and u might need to change ur 17's over to get it registered ... They should ahve the original size rim on to get registered. Although I beleive some states might allow one size up as long as the profile is correct on the tyre.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
OK if I do borrow some rims to get over, can I legally use the Pirelli's on the road ?

They came from Japan with the car but have Aust codes on them and load rating because Pirelli's are made in Italy !!!

So my question is are they legal even though I didn't buy them here....

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Did you get an answer on this Craig ?

My tyres have a load rating on them, and look brand new.

Do you think I will have to get new ones ?

IMG_1031.jpg

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
my tyres didnt get replaced during compliance like i was expecting, they are in reasonable condition but arnt sold here.

I did get some standard sized tyres and rims to get it all rego'ed and they did look at them down at regency, so i was glad i did swap them over.

But surely if you do have to replace your tyres, the workshop could pass them back on to you at a later stage if you wanted them?

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Did you go through Shogun, Dion ?

How do I find out if they will be replaced or not ? Do I ring them and ask ?

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Yep i went through shogun Mark. I dunno about how to find out, i didnt ask or anything, it just happened :p ringing them would prob be the best bet

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
The Jap spec tyres that your car come to Australia with have 2 major probs.

1. No E mark or DOT code.
2. No date of manufacture.

Everyones "tyres" would have been/will be changed during compliance.
What normally happens is a workshop will have a set of "compliance" rims with the correct tyres fitted. These rims and tyres will be fitted during the compliance procedure and then replaced with your wheels ready for you to take delivery.
Most workshops will carry a large range of stock wheels and tyres to cover most imported cars. Some are interchangable, ie: 34 Stageas and R32 Skylines. Or S15 Sylvia and R33 Skylines.
If your tyres are deamed unroadworthy then new compliance spec tyres will be fitted to your rims, at a cost to you but you get to keep them assuming your car came with stock wheels.

Feel free to ask anything about compliance, I will answer what I can as honestly as I can. Remembering, although there are a strict set of rules to follow every RAW has their own way of doing things

Hope this helps,
Jason

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Thanks Jason.

So basically the tyres will go through compliance but will fail the rego inspection ? I can live with that ;)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
^^ Correct.

Tyres are one of the biggest rorts in my opinion - I can bring in a personal import and happily drive around on the tyres it came with from Japan, I can go down to a wrecker and buy used wheel/tyres packages ex-Japan, but the tyres on SEVS complied cars are no good apparently.

Good info Jason, btw.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
So do I tell them (shogun) not to change the tyres, or will they ask me ?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea but the Jap snow tires aren't only illegal over here, they're dangerous on a hot Australian road... So if you've got those you DO need to chuck 'em...

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
^^^ Point taken, which is why they brought the rule in originally, methinks

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
^^^ Point taken, which is why they brought the rule in originally, methinks

Agreed.

The thing that shits me is that you have to charge the customer for tyres they do not need. I have had cars come in fitted with (IMO) the brilliant Mich Pilot Sports, exact same construction and compound they sell here. Only ya gotta scrap them because they dont have a date code. Just plain stupid.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Surely you can pass them on to the owner, to do with at their discretion? They DO own them after all... Or is there a requirement for the workshop to destroy them?

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Surely you can pass them on to the owner, to do with at their discretion? They DO own them after all... Or is there a requirement for the workshop to destroy them?

Maybe ;)

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Hmm funny story,

Well I did get through on my tyres, but that was because they were pirelli's. And the did have Aust codes on them.

The guy in the pit at rego came out screaming they're the original tyres oh no !

The Engineer basically slapped him in the face and told him to settle down. He said, the tyres have Australian codes on them, thus they can be used on Australian roads.

So basically, if your tyres dont have codes for Australia, then you will have to get them changed.

And no, Compliance does not change the tyres for you if you do not have the original 16" rims. They will stick 16" rims on your car so when compliance occurs it actually had 16" rims.... :D

Mind you I did get an "Advise" on my tyres bacause they were cracked (Probably from sitting so long)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Mind you I did get an "Advise" on my tyres bacause they were cracked (Probably from sitting so long)

The fact that rubber will harden and crack over 10years is prolly more the point. If the side walls are cracked I wouldn't be driving on them, especially as every corner in Canberra is a bloody round a bout.

Top Bottom