Tyres for Evo X rims that are more my style

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
I recently purchased a set of wheels and tyres for my FL from @RicKii`` and as much as I love the guy, the tyres have an almost "stretched" look to them. The first thing my brother in law said to me when he saw the car with these wheels & tyres was exactly that.

To be clear, I don't like stretched tyres. I like tyres that extend out beyond the rim by a few mm at least. I also like a nice square tyre profile so the tyre wall goes straight up and makes a sharp 90 degree angle into the tread.

The tyres are Conti 235/40/18s. I am wondering if I need to change to a 245 or if there is a different brand/style of sidewall from another manufacturer that will give me the look I want. I also don't know if a 245 will rub. FYI the Evo X rims are 18x8.5 +38 offset.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
235/40/18 rubbed on my legnum with Evo X rims but not very often. I had Bridgestone S001 and also Achilles ATR Sport before that - neither looked particularly stretched but definitely not rolling over the edge. I think for a chunky look you will want 255 which is hard to find and will be even harder to fit.

I guess you will need to roll + trim a little on the flares for 245/40/18.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Check your inner clearance to the upper control arm I have similar rear rims and 245 would jam against it I reckon, 255 did for sure on test fit with old tyres. Check the clearance where the top of the tyre would touch the arm there isn't much room

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Possibly something in the kuhmo ecsta spt range perhaps

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Most calculators are reporting that 235/40 is the right size for an 18x8.5 rim. Must just be the tyre profile.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
@Kaldek 245 is the best width for 8.5 inch. 40 is a good profile for that width as well from a handling perspective but I think you'll need some guard work for sure and if it's a square edged tyre it'll probably also hit the inner edge on the rear as well. Plus your rolling diameter will be too big. For all these reasons i can't say i like 18s on a vr4. Nice wheels though, maybe check what @jungle is running, he has those wheels.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
my rears are 18X9 +38 with 235, trimming the flare clip a 245 would fit (rear right is currently catching the metal clip) and has some stretch to it, my fronts are 18X8+32 235 and look perfect, so 245 on a 8.5 would be spot on

8.5 would clear no problem with that offset with no modification with a 235, but 245 probably just needs the flare trimmed. like steve said tall tyres like the hankooks kill it in the inside of close to the suspension starts getting tricky business.

any of these offsets/widths/sizes etc will interfere with your front flares unfortunately they will either wear themselves down or you prempt it, becareful full lock on a speed hump or pot hole/dip

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
@Kaldek 245 is the best width for 8.5 inch. 40 is a good profile for that width as well from a handling perspective but I think you'll need some guard work for sure and if it's a square edged tyre it'll probably also hit the inner edge on the rear as well. Plus your rolling diameter will be too big. For all these reasons i can't say i like 18s on a vr4. Nice wheels though, maybe check what @jungle is running, he has those wheels.
Yes, I use 225/40/18 otherwise the rolling diameter is by about 3% with 235's

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Don't know what you wanted. Slight stretch so rim lips sit outside the contact patch.
My car is a PFL, I rolled guard lip and gave a slight stretch. Using KU39 tyres

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Just FYI heres some photos of some 245/40/17's on 9" wide wheels.
Albeit on a GTR but gives you a good idea of what itll look like on a 8.5" rim
tmp_407-20160323_184826-1020392157.jpg
tmp_407-20160323_1848321254183162.jpg

Top Bottom