unleaded vs premium

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
I did for a number of years! Only stopped once I had the Legnum and sold the Magna.

Heh, same here. Well, haven't sold the Magna yet though.

Cuppla yrs since the test data was provided by Kat - not too long I reckon.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
i would certainly ask your local fuel provider how often they refill their 98 tank......

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Ive found recently that all servos 98 Oct (Sev Ev, United, Caltex) besides Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate seem to make my Legnum detonate..
however the fuel light came on today and 2 shell servos and the one BP i went too all had their 98 pumps out of service which was rather frightening so i whacked $10 from Caltex(3rd best) in until i can get BP or Shell again

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Have sent e-mails to BP and Shell to inquire about the degradation of their fuel and other details. Didn't bother with the "other ones". Let's see.....
Also did some Web searching yesterday and got one publication stating that if gasoline is properly stored, it lasts for long times. Bit vague - will continue this further.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Fuel does go stale, but it takes weeks/ months. I used to work at petty stations when I went to school, and filling their tanks happened weekly. I think more of a problem then old fuel, is dirty fuel. It's quite rare for a tank to be cleaned, never seen it happen once in the 3 years I worked at 2 different stations.

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Received a reply from Shell.
But - cannot attach the pdf she sent me!

Briefly:
Gasoline may last up to 12 months if properly (?) stored in metal tank and steady, cool temperature. On extreme conditions, it might only last up to 6 months.
Most reputable (!) Gas Stations fill up their tanks weekly and will promptly sell the product as advertised. Instead of some toluene solution mixed with 91 oct E10 but advertised as 98 oct…
I asked the grade of degradation per week/month. Wasn’t answered.
So, in all, I think we are quite safe.
Still waiting for BP to respond.

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
BP responded. Much better data and more recent (2010) than Shell's (1994).
Bit surprising info there - fuel deteriorates in weeks! But how relevant that is, is debatable.
BP, as well, pointed out, that using reputable BP branded stations, one is safe (you get what you pay for).

That should be it?

Attachments

• Shell.pdf
    392.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Petrol Life in vehicle tanksv4.pdf
    77.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 5556_M98ULv2.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 11

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
1996 Toyota Soarer GT-L vvti x2, Legnum S2
Arrrrrr I accidently filled my leggy with 91octane. What to do? MAybe add octane booster?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Be incredibly cautious of boost and any major load & revs or drain the tank.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I did it before, just drive softly and fill up asap with the right stuff. My car was fine

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
The fuel and ignition mapping should sort out nasties in terms of the engine, it will drive a bit crappy under load though. If you have non ECU controlled boost levels, best to wind it down (as the ECU would do this) and just drive like most Grannies do (I know a couple of quick ones).

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
My dad put 95 in my car last tank over 50L (I gave him $20 and said put 98 in, he decides to fill it up), car has driven ok and no difference under load, (car was tuned by Steve on 98) I actually just remembered now I have been driving on 95. Just waiting for tank to empty to put in 98 again.

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
1996 Toyota Soarer GT-L vvti x2, Legnum S2
thanks guys. It is driving ok I just dont really let it rev past 3k. Forgot about it for a sec when I went to takeover and was quickly remided as the car spluttered along with no power.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
I had a couple of times on my drive from Perth to Darwin where the only fuel available was 91. Surprisingly, I got better fuel economy on those sectors than with 98, but not by much. The entire tank was used at highway speed, indeed driving six hours straight until the tank needed refilling. Being careful not to let it get above 3000 rpm, and no worries at all.

Top Bottom