Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Hey Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone had installed one of these UTcomp displays from Reveltronics in Poland.
http://www.reveltronics.com/en/products/universal-trip-computer-utcomp

Pics and tips would be brilliant too!!

If you buy them direct they work out at $133 AUD delivered... Was thinking of replacing the stock dash clock..
only looking to connect the basic stuff to get the trip computer working (As in fuel...L per 100 etc..) but I'd like to connect up the boost pressure option.

I'd only need a boost pressure sensor yeah?
Not sure if the Legnum has one to tap off... not that I've looked with any seriousness TBH..
i've read some pretty good reviews of the product and the Jaycar kit has long since been discontinued...

Anyones .02c worth would be greatly appreciated

Steve

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I'll be doing this soon when the dollar price comes down. I only checked last night and it's about $160au delivered.
Oops my bad that's the better display $28 option.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah I just got the basic one... cheapest prices are on their website though.. ebay is more.. can't wait!! :)

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Pretty impressive little unit.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
They certainly are hey....especially the Pro version... sure beats making your own one up!!!

Already got my pin-outs for the ECU connections... and been chatting to the owner Artur about running an aftermarket boost pressure sensor... these should work lol funny buy the same thing from the UK and they are like $35AUD lol
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380963503720?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now to play with the program side of things so I'm ready when it all arrives..

lh1034

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Luke
Drive
'99 FL Legnum
レグナム
I'm keen on installing one of these!
Is there much work in finding the correct wires to ensure the functions work properly?

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Nah... seems pretty straight forward... pinouts from the ECU... a standalone Boost pressure sensor...
and a bit of computer fidgeting (which is what I'm doing now... THE all important Welcome Screen!!! hahahaha

Seems really easy and think it'll be an epic addition to the VR-4 community... been done in an 8G Galant over in Poland!! Clock position and in the instrument cluster..!!

http://www.reveltronics.com/en/products/universal-trip-computer-utcomp#
http://www.reveltronics.com/en/products/universal-trip-computer-utcomp#

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
UTcomp Pro!! Awesome install!!! I can't wait for mine,
Which boost pressure sensor did you use Tomasz? 3 bar absolute?
Steve

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Legnum 6A13TT, Galant 6A13
UTcomp Pro!! Awesome install!!! I can't wait for mine,
Which boost pressure sensor did you use Tomasz? 3 bar absolute?
Steve

Yup, it's the Pro. Display barely fit in there with the stock buttons left in place, but I made it fit :ninja:

As for the pressure sensor I wired up a Freescale/Motorola MPX4250A - 2.5bar absolute (so 1.5 bar actual boost measured). Any similar sensor should work just as well.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Lol.. there isn't a lot of room... I just got the basic model... plenty of features... the the pro model has the better screen for sure though..
easy to use and setup from what I've read too... can't wait till it arriives..
Customer service from Artur is brilliant too!!

Oh cool thanks... from the specs I read the sensor I bought is 2 bar... I'm hoping that it's just a clueless seller and the sensor will work.. when it arrives I'll test it for range and accuracy before install... if not i'll find a 3 bar absolute sensor and throw that in :)
This is the one yeah?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GA56259-...708373?hash=item5422d61555:g:9mEAAOSwyQtVybfI

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Yup, it's the Pro. Display barely fit in there with the stock buttons left in place, but I made it fit :ninja:

As for the pressure sensor I wired up a Freescale/Motorola MPX4250A - 2.5bar absolute (so 1.5 bar actual boost measured). Any similar sensor should work just as well.

Exactly how tight is the pro? I was looking at it but the extra size worried me. I was just going to use the oled display. Much nicer for the cheaper unit
image.png

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Thankyou for that... handy to know... I'm a master solderer lol....
Can't wait to see the pics!!

Sorry for all the questions... What did you use for the water temp sensor? Standalone sensor or did you tap off the ecu water temp pinout? IE: use the standard water temp sensor that was in the car already?
EDIT: after reading my manual.. there are two sensors... the smaller one being the sender for the gauge... would that work with UTCOMP if I tapped into that wire, I wonder?
Cheers

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hmmm this is VERY interesting. I love this stuff. Quite keen. I could tap into the 0-5v output of my wideband and boost sensors, and then hide those gauges somewhere out of sight.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Hmmm this is VERY interesting. I love this stuff. Quite keen. I could tap into the 0-5v output of my wideband and boost sensors, and then hide those gauges somewhere out of sight.
What boost sensor did you use Ed?
EDIT: the unit seems to use sensors that are all 0-5v output... i'm trying to figure out what the legnum ones are and if they are compatible with the unit... especially the water temp one..

All I've been doing is reading up on all of this... sooooo freakin' keen hey!!!

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
What boost sensor did you use Ed?
EDIT: the unit seems to use sensors that are all 0-5v output... i'm trying to figure out what the legnum ones are and if they are compatible with the unit... especially the water temp one..

All I've been doing is reading up on all of this... sooooo freakin' keen hey!!!
I have a dedicated set of AEM gauges that come with sensors and output both serial data and 0-5volt.

Many stock car sensors are also 5 volt but it really depends on the ECU because sometimes they are 12 volt. Usually there will be a common 5 volt reference feed to various sensors and they change resistance as they measure, and the ECU reads the voltage coming back from the sensor. A table in the ECU converts the voltage back to a known value (say, coolant temperature, or boost pressure for example). If you tap the return feed from the sensor into the ECU, you can pipe the signal into the UTCOMP. It's safe to do so, generally.

This would work well for the coolant (ECT) sensor, unless that uses a 12 volt reference. I'm not sure what other sensors on the VR4 use a 5 volt reference and use resistance for measurement.

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Legnum 6A13TT, Galant 6A13
My installation photos (post-installation actually): https://goo.gl/photos/tA5US39H1gUyPSpQ6

Lots of dremeling is required to make the display fit, and it actually sits partially behind the PCB with the buttons. Also the lower right corner of the display PCB had to be cut off (other option was to make a hole in the console but I didn't want that).

The "heart" of the UTComp... in my case it just nested in a big ball of wires behind the center console. Good for shock absorption I believe.

UTComp works with 0-5V sensors, but it has some higher voltage inputs. Check the specification for your particular UTComp model and revision.

Also it can supply 5V to sensors on its supply bus for DS temperature sensors, its not documented but it works.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Thanks for the input Ed and Tomasz... I couldn't find anywhere that the sensors (particularly the coolant temp) were fed 5v.. now is that sensor going to take a dump if it's fed 5 v from two sources?? Dumb question but thought I'd ask it as i'm not a sparkie..

All I found was resistance values at certain temps etc for troubleshooting... was going to get the voltmeter on the back of the pins when it came time for the install to double check..
if I can get away with using sensors that are already there then that's a big bonus...

Tomasz... did you use the clock's standard board for the buttons? Just resoldered your own 3 wires? or is that the one supplied with the kit?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
I couldn't find anywhere that the sensors (particularly the coolant temp) were fed 5v.. now is that sensor going to take a dump if it's fed 5 v from two sources?? Dumb question but thought I'd ask it as i'm not a sparkie..

Don't feed it 5 volts - just tap its signal wire. It's the Yellow-Green wire (pin #13) on the driver's side connector to the ECU, which is also called "C39" - in other words, C39 and pin #13. The UTCOMP has 0-5 volt inputs you can use.

Here's what the UTCOMP manufacturer says about calibration:
http://www.reveltronics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58

You need to download his Excel file, and then record the behaviour of the Legnum coolant sensor.
To do this on a Legnum, you would run EvoScan to get a live log of the coolant temp whilst measuring the voltage you're seeing on your tap wire with a multimeter. Start with a cold (at least overnight) engine. Connect all your stuff and start the car. For every 10 degrees C of temperature change as the engine warms up, record the voltage you see on the multimeter. Start measuring based on the coolant temp you're seeing right as the car is first started.

Then, punch that data into his Excel spreadsheet and take the A, t, and T0 values from that. Enter those into the UTCOMP application under Settings-->Advanced-->Temperatures (NTC).

P.S. I don't even own one of these yet but I've done this before on motorbike piggyback ECUs and it's the same process.

Top Bottom