Valve guide options

Keheetit

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Niko
Drive
Galant vr-4 Fl
Have anyone here changed valve guides to bronze or everyone just using OEM guides?
Trying to find options which would work on our heads.

I have engine which had belt jump and all intake guides are cracked. Bronze ones are about the same prize as OEM if i could just find some with similar lenght.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
If your intrested in some I can try make a few sets. Once our country is out of lockdown. Have been considering making some for a while now om the cnc lathe

Keheetit

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Niko
Drive
Galant vr-4 Fl
Planning to make from manganese bronze or what material? I need to solve this guide thing then i can put heads back together. It would be maybe good idea to also change exhaust guides so i would have "brand new" heads with your cams. Have to measure clearance of those exhaust valves and guides.

Have you removed any guides? If yes did you press or air hammer them?

There isnt any details in 6a13tt workshop manual but these were in 6a1.
Capture.JPG

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Manganese bronze. We have a good working relationship with the engineering bronze foundry here in Christchurch so will have a chat with them after lockdown.

As for valve to guide clearance. As with any aftermarket bronze guide they will be "semi finished" meaning the engine reconditioner will hone your guides to attain the correct clearance after installation. As the guides do crush down when installed, and it is impossible to account for manufacturing variations in the cylinder heads when manufacturing the guides themselves. Plus a hone finish provides a straighter guide bore and a better surface finish (no high spots or distortion in the guide bore due to the crush from hammering in the guide)

As for removing them I machine, harden and temper a 4140 drift to suit the guide size, then hammer them out with an air hammer/chisel.
Same story for installation, machine dead stops and installation punches and drift them in when the head is hot, wait for the head(s) to cool then hone the guides for appropriate clearance for the application, then cut the valve seats to ensure concentricity to the new guide

Keheetit

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Niko
Drive
Galant vr-4 Fl
You have any idea how much about these would cost to make?

OEM cost is about 20€/piece + tax/postage and it seems pretty high on so simple part, Only place i have found these is amayama and not sure if there even is enough it just says >1. (Very long delivery time)

I know these would probably work but also only sintered metal/cast iron ones available
G11420 and G11421 (freccia) from some hyundai engine so no one makes bronze ones. Exhaust would be 1.5mm longer but should be no problem.
These would be in every car part shop.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
As ive said I'll have to talk to the Material supplier when our country comes out of lockdown.

Keheetit

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Niko
Drive
Galant vr-4 Fl
I can confirm hyundai 22114-23501 intake guide fits to our head. Very small difference in seal groove but should be fine to use same seals.
20211005_210210.jpg
20211007_210952.jpg

Top Bottom