VF Commodore

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Been looking for a newish everyday work horse since it's looking likely I'll be doing a lot of driving for work next year.

New VF Commodore made the list and I have to say I'm pretty impressed for the price. Great looking interior (which is what I'll be looking at all the time) and plenty of features. Anyone driven one that can give an opinion before I start seriously looking/test driving.

Ill be be trying to get a second hand one so that someone else can cop the drive off the lot depreciation.

Interior shot:

image.jpg

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Low to mid 30s.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
The SSV is a huge improvement on the VE series. I am not a fan of Holden in the slightest, but they have really stepped up the tech on this model. I was actually impressed with the SSV sedan I drove. Gearbox a bit clunky like normal but apart from that, nothing to complain about. Give it a few years like the VE's and they will suffer from terrible dash ratlles and creaks.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
a vf senator with some airbag suspension and nice wheels would certainly be a car i'd own

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Lol, I'm looking more in the SV6 range, possibly an SS at a stretch but not sure if I'd want a thirsty V8 considering it could be be doing a lot of K's.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
they look alright too. definitely require a new set of wheels though

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I think overall the VF looks a lot classier than the VE. I wouldn't be ashamed of owning one.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
It, the VF may have improved a lot but 'in my opinion' the Commodore still has a long way to go to be a good car, it is after all still a Holden.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
A VF HSV GTS would be nice. Since it is probably the last and best Australian muscle car ever made, it will be come a collectible. And it actually packs enough grunt to keep up with the Germans.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Lol, I'm looking more in the SV6 range, possibly an SS at a stretch but not sure if I'd want a thirsty V8 considering it could be be doing a lot of K's.

before mine was cammed, with a mafless tune, full exhaust (long tube headers, cats and catback) and dusotr OTRCAI i regularly returned 9-10L per 100km in my manual VE SS, worst though was 28L per 100km :D

the potential for power is fantastic and addictive if done right, handling however leaves much to be desired with the weight of them. side stepping off the clutch at 5,000rpm is fun, they hook up on the street pretty good

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
I am normally a hater as well, but looking at the specs/features list, it is amazing to me they have managed to get it priced as low as it is. Granted the build quality may start to show itself in a few years but as a new car it is not a bad proposition. The only problem is the terrible depreciation these have when compared to a Japanese or European car..... and the wheels. But then every manufacturer is f**king that up at the moment.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Euros are worse for depreciation
. Friends A5, 110k new, less than 4 years old just sold for 36k. SS is the best for resale. Ssv sells for the same, costs more to buy....

They often break crap like diffs under warranty but.... I got a ve ssv to below 9l/100 driving like grandma

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I have a good mate in quality (lol) at Holden's, he repairs the lines fuck ups. He was saying that from 0km to 30,000km it is completely normal for a SS to burn 4 litres of oil between services. If you haven't serviced one they take about 7.8l of oil! That's not because they need that much, it's because they burn that much. The reason the burn so much is that the only way they could make the fat ass engine economical..ish is to reduce all friction in the engine. This includes piston ring friction hahaha.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
i had mine for about 85,000km i think, never used any oil. never heard of them consuming that much oil on ls1 australia either. perfectly normal for them to use that is probably just some bs he is spinning lol. so many haters of the LS motors..

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Hmm... that's pretty dodgy if true Jon.

Still liking the prospect of owning one although a company car is looking more likely now which will mean Hilux for free. If this turns out the commodore becomes an unnecessary expense and a project car becomes more enticing.

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
I just always think the ass of the VF looks like a Mazda 6 for some reason lol, not hating.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
I just always think the ass of the VF looks like a Mazda 6 for some reason lol, not hating.

yeah i agree, on that note, its seems a lot of manufacturers actually have the same design style/language as each other. all the mid and large sedan seem to have very similar lines and rears this year. kinda boring

Top Bottom