[Vic] Having issues registering car

G

Unregistered
Hi guys,

I need help BIGTIME!

The car I want is in NSW at a dealer. It's not registered yet but is complied and everything. I was gonna get the dealer to register it and drive it down here in NSW plates but everyone at work said "don't do it" cause it will be a sh@tfight trying to re-register it in my name with VIC Roads.

They reckon get a 7day permit in NSW and drive it here. I'm nervous about what documents i need to cruise through rego here.

Does anyone know exactly what VIC roads are gonna ask for. I don't wanna get it down here and find out I'm missing an important piece of paper that is gonna stop me getting it registered :(

Whats the easiest option for me???

Help me my VIC buddies!!!!!

G

Unregistered
Moved out of Vic Wash Patrol to East Coast forum, and added [Vic] prefix to title. Please read the rules of a forum before you post in it. Cheers.

You should only need proof of ownership and proof of compliance.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
NSW rego will cost you about $800 (for 1 year only)

Temporary RTA permits can only be given to cars that have had an safety inspection done. It really is more trouble than what it is worth.

You should try to avoid dealing with the RTA at all costs.

Your best option would be to get the car transported down to VIC and get your rego done there. You will save the $1000 odd that the car yard will charge you to get it registered and then transfer it to your name and you will only be up for the shipping costs.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Yea if ya talk to Vicroads (which sucks) you can get a permit to drive interstate to your place and registration, don't think you have to deal with the NSW "vicroads" whatever they called not too sure but it can be done, just make sure you have the paper work on ya for when you get pulled over

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Just adding on to what Bryan has above, you can only get a temp permit from the state that the car is coming from, not where it will end up.

G

Unregistered
He'd need two of them anyway, I'm pretty sure. A pass from the RTA for driving through NSW, and one from VicRoads for when he enters Victoria.

Hawks is right though, just get it whacked on a truck and freighted down.

G

Unregistered
But freighting it is gonna cost me 700 bucks!

compared to 100 bucks worth of gas. I got $20 tiger air flights up there so that side of it is sweet

G

Unregistered
After spending 20 mins on hold to VIC Roads here is the deal:

I can get a 7 day NSW pass
Don't need a VIC one for when I cross over the border
Just gotta have proof of purchase (ie contract), Road Worthy and Drivers License

Hope this helps other VIC's in my situation

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
sounds good i had it backwards, you get that,

How much trouble is the RTA for permit or does it depend on what they may find safety wise ???

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
make sure your chassis number is HARD STAMPED (not just stamped on a strip of metal and then riveted to the engine bay)... costs you $50 to get it done and often done on the strut tower mounts of the engine bay. VicRoads is VERY particular about this and I had to go find a mechanic to do it half-way through the rego process.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Ok the answer I give depends on how modified your car is. If it has mods, get it registered in NSW first, as it will save you a lot of heartbreak when you go for your RWC in Vic.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
After spending 20 mins on hold to VIC Roads here is the deal:

I can get a 7 day NSW pass
Don't need a VIC one for when I cross over the border
Just gotta have proof of purchase (ie contract), Road Worthy and Drivers License

Hope this helps other VIC's in my situation

VICROADS must be so much better than the RTA. If you lived in NSW and tried to get a temp permit you would be in for some heartache.

You should see how much the yard wants to get it registered in NSW. I paid about $800 all up for mine.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
err.. just out of curiosity.. have you considered getting it transported via big trailers?! it migh cost you the same but at least it'll save you the headaches and worry of accidents..

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
get a car carried to transport it, mind you i didnt have any problems at all getting my car registered it was getting it complied that took the time, they took one look at it and were ready to sign everything off once i had the compliance plates attached, mind you i do live in a small town (leeton) and i dont think anyone could be bothered causing problems :)

where in vic are you ? and where in nsw is the car ?

G

Unregistered
I can't get it registered in NSW cause the girl at VIC roads said I must have proof of being a NSW resident (which i obviously don't have) to have a smooth swap from NSW to VIC plates.

No trouble for the RTA permit cause the car already has it's slips (pink & blue i think it is)????? So there is no issues roadworthy/safety wise.

There are no mods to speak of except a pod filter. Is that gonna upset my VIC roadworthy chances?????

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Ok I have a bit more time now.

The problem is that, for SEVS complied cars, the vehicle must be STANDARD at it's first registration only, not ROADWORTHY. After that, the car just has to be roadworthy, same as any other vehicle.

The dealer will register the car in their name (dealers don't pay any stamp duty) so that they also do the first RTA check with the car standard, then bolt the aftermarket gear on afterwards.

There's a bit of CYA (Cover Your Arse) in there too - if you were to take an obviously modified vehicle in for first registration, you would get knocked back, but the RAW would also be in deep poo for it. The other option is sending the car interstate with some borrowed factory parts on it, but funnily enough, these tend to never be returned once the car is registered...

G

Unregistered
So I'm buggered because the car can't be first registered by me because of the POD and I can't let him register in my name because I have no proof of NSW residency which is going to cause problems at the changeover at VIC Roads?

G

Unregistered
Anyone got a standard air filter box assembly they can lend me for the day?

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Well you're not buggered, because the dealer will register the car in their name first in NSW, then sell it to you.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
^ yep. And they should be able to get it registered with the pod, knowing how dodgy car yards can be :p

Top Bottom