Vic RWC - privacy glass / window tint

Merlin032

Crunching Gears
First Name
Tim Kohlman
Drive
VR4 Galant
I got a RWC rejected for the tint being too dark. It turns out my Galant came from the factory with privacy glass, and the tint isn't a film, it's part of the glass and it comes like that from the factory.

My RWC guy spoke to 2 different people at Vicroads - one said it was legal, one said it wasn't. It sounds like you get a different answer depending on who picks up the phone.

So, anyway. Just wondering if anyone else has had this and whether they had the same experience. I got my RWC but I guess it could have gone the other way if my RWC guy was being tight. -- to get an answer it involved a visit to vicroads, about 4 hours on the phone talking to about 8 different staff.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Find another RWC guy, you can't change it and they're being morons. :)

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
I did have find there were some issues in the ACT, in the end I showed the inspectors where on the glass it is marked as being different to the fronts, I think from memory the privacy glass is marked with an S3 and the fronts as S2, or something along those lines.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
the RWC guy didnt bat an eye lid at my legnum, neither did the piggish vicroads guy. not a question asked and passed no problem

Merlin032

Crunching Gears
First Name
Tim Kohlman
Drive
VR4 Galant
yeah that was my experience when I first registered it. Think I just got a super-tight RWC guy - anyway, it's sorted and I didn't have to take it elsewhere. :)

Frenche

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4
1988 Mazda MX-6 Turbo
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
Typical vicroads, you could 10 people the same question and they will give you 10 different answers. Glad you got it sorted, when I registered mine I was given some BS about it being it's first registration in Aus it needs a "special" inspector to look at it and I couldn't book it in for almost 3 weeks! I show up on the day and it's the same twat I spoke to when booking it in who was doing the inspection, which took all of thirty seconds! He didn't even check the engine number, just the vin and the compliance sticker in the door, what an absolute joke! No wonder people hate dealing with them.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Sounds similar to regency over here. Manned by some of the most incompetent and arrogant people I have come across.

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
^as above. My car didn't pass because my HEL braided brake lines didn't have have adr approval....oh wait they didn't look carefully and maybe wipe some dirt off the approval stamp and didn't pass me...bastards.

They peeled at my privacy glass for ages hoping to lift a corner. Yeeap that was embarrassing.

Top Bottom