VR-4 Speedo - 180kmh max; can it be bypassed?

G

Unregistered
stealer.

hey brad do you remember the chassis number you used to get that?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
it is off an NZ new v6 non-turbo galant. It only comes with a 6.5k rpm redline and no ayc lights, so you need to cut them in half. There is an article on cvr4 detailing what I did

G

Unregistered
Unless you are on the track though it is not really needed :p

The speed cut on the Legnum arn't that bad that they give you whip lash, mine gets to about 185 - 190 then cuts the power a bit till it is back to 170, then you do it all again, the biggest problem you would get on a long straight would probably be sea sickness lol

(disclaimer, I never speed or have done 180 on public roads ;) )

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
it is off an NZ new v6 non-turbo galant. It only comes with a 6.5k rpm redline and no ayc lights, so you need to cut them in half. There is an article on cvr4 detailing what I did
There's some details on here too if I remember correctly :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
yeah I've put up a few pics on here too. if anyone wants the full article just pm me

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
or you can get an Apexi RSM, which will cut the speed limiter, but also stop the needle at 170km/h, and show your actual speed on its display.

Mitchy, are you sure the RSM will remove the limiter? I had one in my FOZ and it did not remove the limiter.

G

Unregistered
if your going to bring the car to the track then get a apexi AVCR or a fuel cut defender or else dont bother it will get you in more trouble than they are worth.. IMHO

G

Unregistered
If this works for evo's maybe it is the same for ours?

180 speed cut on all the earlier evo's if you remove the cluster, on the rear of the cluster there is a circuit board which is the veins for every light & gauge on your cluster look for a screw with RSM printed next to it on the circuit board if you find it remove it ;
This is the factory speed limited screw and then happy driving above 180

Anyone know if this screw is on the back of our cluster? Still cutting the wire sounds easier though.

I take it the only reason for wanting to do this is to have a go on the race track.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Trying to pull apart the dash is harder than cutting a wire, secondly I have a dash here and I can't see any writings on it at all, apart from IG and GND (I'm guessing ignition and ground)

G

Unregistered
do all legnums vr4s speed cut at 180km/h or can the computer be changed to cut out at say 200km/h?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
They either cut out at 180km/h or they speed cut has been disabled, in which case they are no longer limited at all.

I'm going to do this soon so I'll take some photos so you know what to do :)

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
well mine goes past that on the stock dash and then cuts it at around 190 just by rough measuring. Does that mean my speedo's out?

Taraska

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taraska
Drive
Black VR-4!!!!!!
I got a quote for speed cut defender. It will be around $500 inkl. installation. So i have to think about it. Maybe i will do it later. I have to get other things first.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
owch 500 seems a bit steep... get an RSM off ebay it would be closer to 100 bucks id have thought... havent checked mind you.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
my A'pexi RSM allegedly removes the 180km/h speed limiter.

*whistles innocently*

Casper

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lewis
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 type S 4SALE!
hi guys,were do yous have your RSM mounted?is there any other RSM besides the big apexi ones?The day i picked up my legnum a tried it out on the way home and it cut at 189km/h,thats what the gps said anyway... thanks

Top Bottom