VR4 hassles - What should I expect?

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
Looking at getting a legnum vr4. From the talk on these and other forums it seems that they are a good car, especially for the price.

Just wondering what things like parts for regular servicing, major parts, insurance etc is like?

Can you get the thing serviced at the local mechanics and expect him to be able to source air filters etc? Is the insurance going to cost a bomb.

I rang Shannons about insurance but they said I wasn't enthusiastic enough for me to be able to get insurance from them (go figure)

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Call Shannons again and stretch the truth a little, say that you're a member of a car club and buy car mags all the time, go down and watch car racing and all that shit and then they'll give you a quote...

G

Unregistered
All this information ... and more can be found already in this forum. Just have a look at the sticky's found at the top of the threads and search through the forum's search tool.
I can highly recommend the VR4 and my car is getting serviced by mitsubishi as we speak. $195 with sythentic oil.
Insurance is never cheap on an Import but I have mine with Shannons for $1000 a year.
Welcome to the forums and enjoy reading through the threads :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
They are very good cars and the only things you need to pay attention to are the auto gearbox (unless you get a manual) and the AYC diff. The ayc diff is the same as in EVO's and can be serviced by any garage that can service EVO's

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Good tip there Brad.

Insurance isnt too bad, a mate at work was looking at getting a '98 wrx, hes 27, never had and traffic infringements/accidents and he was quoted around the 1300 mark for insurance, only 100 less than i pay!!!

Not too many people have cars yet so theres not too much feedback on costs of regular servicing, parts etc, its the risk you take with a relatively new car (to the country that is)

G

Unregistered
series 1's are well known for getting a little dent in the fold of the bonnet up near the window. dont quite know why.....i like to think it's cos they got so much pwer under there!! but it's probably just a flimsy bonnet

Top Bottom