VR4 Oil Filters

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Brad, Z142A or Z124A? You said Z124A, but the one for the VR4 is Z142A...

EDIT: Just checked their site and the Z113 won't even fit - its completely different thread type and seal diameter. Where did you get this information from, Brad?

Crap, my bad .......

No one's fault but my own... I misread the part number...

DAMN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have a really bad headache :-( Need some Nurofen & a lie down methinks.

Is there a 'Legnum For Dummies' book out there I can buy ??? I feel like a d***head now :-P

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha don't feel too bad, dude - dyslexia affects us all at times :) That's why I double-checked your info - the last thing we want is a whole bunch of people buying the wrong part! ;)

G

Unregistered
I wonder if one of these will fit our VR4's
http://www.jbrcaustralia.com/purepower-oilfilters.htm

8400 Series Pure Power! EHP Lifetime Oil Filter® CLEANABLE and REUSABLE

8400 Series Pure Power! EHP Lifetime Oil Filter® Direct Spin-on replacement.
CLEANABLE and REUSABLE oil filter for Domestic and Import Autos, Trucks and Motorcycles.
There is nothing like it, nothing out performs it. Revolutionary design with multiple patents pending.
American made 6061 t6 Billet Housing, dual woven Stainless Steel filter media and Viton O-Rings.

Well if you want one they are about $290 for the oil filter. .........

Um yea thats what I thought too

G

Unregistered
lol...
at $290, thats ~25 normal filters, and at 10,000km intervals, thats 250,000km...
so unless you are going to do 250,000km, its not financially viable, plus you still have to remove and refit it to clean, so all you get is a pretty billet filter for your extra $280. :p

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Ok, in addition to my kerfuffle with the spark plugs, it also seems my car had neither a Z411 nor a Z142A oil filter... I think it was Z39- or Z37-something...

Anyway, when he changed the oil, my mechanic played it safe and figured that if the old filter fit and was working, then he'd replace it with the same type. He subscribes to the "don't trust everything you read on the internet" philosophy. So he didn't use the Z411 filter I bought.

Can anyone shed some light on this one? First the spark plugs, now the oil filter... do I have a mutant VR-4 or something?

G

Unregistered
well i think you can trust us when we say the ryco z142a fits as i have put on three of them on my car.. not at the same time of course.lol

G

Unregistered
i've use z411 and and 411 compatibles,
atm using a fram ph7317, have used valvoline V018,

and will being going back to the valvoline one after what ive heard about fram (ie there crap)

dont beleive what a mechanic tells you (unless hes a trusted freind) there always out to make a buck.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
dont beleive what a mechanic tells you (unless hes a trusted freind) there always out to make a buck.

Well I trust him. He serviced my old car for 10 years and I never felt that he was overcharging me or doing unnecessary work. He once lent me a car to get home and back when he had to unexpectedly keep mine in the shop overnight, so he could finish diagnosing something he hadn't solved yet. So yeah, I trust him. He might not know much about the VR-4 yet, but my copy of the workshop manual (when I get it) will accompany my car every time I take it in.

VR4CE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Vince
Drive
Galant VR4
My car had a Genuine filter on it Part no: MD356000 and was running fine with it, so i went down to mitsu and got me a couple more

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I need to ask a question - my car has a filter relocation and cooler thing... it had a z422 on it, and im certain the regular ones you all use pop straight off, ask christian's driveway ;) (thread is different..)

Anyone know what 'alternatives' i have to this filter, as Amsoil dont make one to replace this one...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Josh, can you take pics of your setup, I'm quite keen on doing something similar myself.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
took some photos with christian not so long ago.
So its Seal Diameter i need to keep the same, seam diameter is fine to go bigger/smaller? and height is dependant on space?

Attachments

• cooler4.jpg
    cooler4.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 229
  • filter2.jpg
    filter2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 223
  • filter3.jpg
    filter3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 224
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 231

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
thought I'd ask here rather than start a new one..

has anyone ever looked into dual oil filters? as in 2 oil filters installed in parallel?

my reason for this, I'm thinking should I do it or not while I'm installing my oil filter relocation and cooler.

My concern is the pressure drop if it'll be alot or just a bit..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
If you run two in parallel then the pressure drop will be reduced, but you'll have to have a lot of extra piping and stuff of course.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yeah that will fit fine. Depending on how you drive the car, oil and filter changes every 5000 to 7000km's are about right.

Top Bottom