First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just had a very interesting read about different oil filters over on
mitshy.gif
ClubVR4
mitshy.gif
. It appears the Mitsubishi filter might be too restrictive, causing lash adjuster (hydraulic lifter) noise.

So what filters are available in Australia that are compatible? What filters are you guys running in your cars?

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
My mech that did the service told me its the same one they use on the magna ? I think.

He said something about it being the standard type here or something.

I'll get the part number of the one he got and let you know.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Thanks Craig :)

Surely there are others on here who have serviced their cars since they got them?? What filters have you guys used??

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
had a check on oil filters... Z411 (small one) and Z142a?!?! (big one) fits our car.. I've been using the big one.. and haven't had issues with tickers..

next service ill try the 0w30 full synth by Fuchs unfortunately it only comes in 4ltrs..

OT: is it not wise to add approximately 1 ltr of 10w30 full synth with 0W30 Full synth!?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I don't think you'll find anyone that RECOMMENDS you do that, Chris, but I don't think it would be a problem.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
reason i ask.. is that our cars take up more than 4 ltrs of oil right? so instead of me buying 2 0w30 full synth which cost $80 pero 4ltr.. so i thought i'd get 1 0w30 full synth and get 1 10w30 full synth to use as top up..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would get a bit more though, I've typically bought 5 litres of oil and used about 0.5l as a flush to get rid of some of the crap at the bottom of the sump

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I would get a bit more though, I've typically bought 5 litres of oil and used about 0.5l as a flush to get rid of some of the crap at the bottom of the sump

same here.. that's why I asked the question of mixing 2 different viscosity oils together would really matter.. I mean ill only be mixing approximately .5ltrs the most..

G

Unregistered
i would just get the same one, i use mobil full synth 10w40 performance, this has done its job real well... i got it in 5lt and used bout 4.5lt's

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Just had a very interesting read about different oil filters over on
mitshy.gif
ClubVR4
mitshy.gif
. It appears the Mitsubishi filter might be too restrictive, causing lash adjuster (hydraulic lifter) noise.

So what filters are available in Australia that are compatible? What filters are you guys running in your cars?

Hey guys, got my car seem to have some ticking at idle, im assuming its related to the oil/filter the compliance centre has used... as it didnt do it before it went in.. what is best filter to use? i see a few mentioned above, the one its using at the moment is a ryco z79a http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/product/part/Z79A

dont know what its suited to?
but i think ill change the filter to a z142a and change to a full syn oil sometime during the week

G

Unregistered
the mitsubishi lifters always tick but it should stop after a min or two as the oil reaches the top if the lifters.. (correct me if im wrong)

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
yeah i know mitsi are renowned for it, however i know of ppl with evo's that have changed filters etc and stopped it.... so im gueesing thats what causing mine to tick.. as before it was complied it was not doing it at all.. so the only thing that makes sense is that the compliance workshop changing filter and oil has made it start to tick....

G

Unregistered
Had a look, my car has a no name brand Z142a prob cheapest shit compliance shop could find, all I can tell you it is blue and has oil filter written on it.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hey all,

So everyone knows, the Ryco Z124a oil filter is no longer in production.

It has been replaced by the Z113. I have bought one from Repco for the guys to install with my next service.

Hope that helps anyone out there....

G

Unregistered
I wonder if one of these will fit our VR4's
http://www.jbrcaustralia.com/purepower-oilfilters.htm

8400 Series Pure Power! EHP Lifetime Oil Filter® CLEANABLE and REUSABLE

8400 Series Pure Power! EHP Lifetime Oil Filter® Direct Spin-on replacement.
CLEANABLE and REUSABLE oil filter for Domestic and Import Autos, Trucks and Motorcycles.
There is nothing like it, nothing out performs it. Revolutionary design with multiple patents pending.
American made 6061 t6 Billet Housing, dual woven Stainless Steel filter media and Viton O-Rings.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
They don't have any details on exact sizing options - I've emailed them to find out.

Top Bottom