VR4-related jargon and FAQs

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
There ARE two different types of carbon print - the earliest PFL's had a different (I think darker?) print to what we're used to.

My g/f says it looks like ugly brown, but what does she know? She drives a Kia Rio... 'nuff said really ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
there were a few 1996 spec cars that had the silver and grey carbon dash, but all of the supers and facelifts that had carbon were yellow and grey. The later facelifts, from middle of 2000 moved to a solid silver dash at the same time they changed from red and black recaro's to the type Rasi has.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Found out something cool today. A customer brought his EVO VIII in for a service and I noticed his key is the same as ours, so I tried the window thiongo and it worked. No one at work (me included) new this also worked on EVO's

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
silver cf, but it is quite rare, after that probably the yellow cf, then the silver

G

Unregistered
I'm pretty sure that the yellowish one used to be clear and has just discoloured with sunlight and age.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
nope, there are proper silver ones out there, the yellow ones wouldn't discolour so evenly anyway, and lastly I've seen some brochures with the pics of the yellow carbon dash

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Damn, I wanna see the silver one now... You can still order the gold CF parts from Mitsubishi new, but not the silver (part number superceded by the later model one).

Ah well, maybe I should just shuddup and be happy with what I've got? :rolleyes:

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hmm this thread really needs a cleanup LOL. I'll give it a going over sometime soon.

In the mean time, I've been compiling some useful acronyms for a while, when I came across one already done over on ClubVR4. So I've incorporated some of the stuff they had that I missed.

Here's the list I have so far. If you have anything (car related) to add, feel free to post and I'll add it in.

4WD - Four Wheel Drive

ABS - Anti-lock Braking System
AFC - Active Fuel Controller, see 'S-AFC' below
AFR - Air to Fuel Ratio
ASC - Active Stability Control
ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid
AVC-R - model of boost controller
AWD - All Wheel Drive
AYC - Active Yaw Control

BOV - Blow Off Valve

CAI - Cold Air Intake
CAPS - Computerized Automatic Parts Search. Mitsubishi Japan's parts search database software. See here
CVR4 - Club VR4

DOHC - Double Overhead Cam

EBC - Electronic Boost Controller
ECU - Electronic Control Unit (sometimes incorrectly referred to as Engine Control Unit, but you can have ECU's for other components such as the automatic transmission)
EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
EGT - Exhaust Gas Temperature
EIDS - (Electronic Idle Stabilizer) by HKS. This will correct stalling issues connected to VTA blow off valves
E-Manage - Piggyback engine ECU
EMU - E-Manage Ultimate

FMIC - Front Mounted InterCooler
FPR - Fuel Pressure Regulator
FWD - Front Wheel Drive

G TECH - Little in-car black box to measure 0-60 times

IAT - Internal Air Temperature
INVECS (II) - Intelligent and Innovative Vehicle Electronic Control System. See here.

LC-1 - Wideband Controller Standalone Unit
LM-1 - Wideband O2 Digital Air/fuel Ratio Meter
LSD - Limited Slip Differential

MAF - Mass Air Flow
MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure
MAS - Mass Airflow Sensor (usually MAF Sensor)
MBC - Manual Boost Controller
MMCS - Mitsubishi Multi Communication System - see here.
MUT-II - Mitsubishi Universal Tester 2 (second generation) fault code analysis tool

NOS - Holley branded Nitrous Oxide (N2O) system

RSM - Rev/Speed Meter - It's like the GTECH, but much better. Made by Apex'i

S-AFC - Super Active Fuel Controller. Made by Apex'i, this device allows the user to tweak the car's fueling. AFC-Neo is the latest version.
SOHC - Single Overhead Cam

TCL - Traction Control Limiter
TT - Twin Turbo or Turbo Timer
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor (or Signal)

VR4 - Victory Road AWD (4WD, but it's not an off-road 4WD, so AWD is more applicable) ... No, you really didn't want to know this.
VTA - Vent To Atmosphere (type of Blow-off Valve, as opposed to recirculating)

WOT - Wide Open Throttle

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I thought S-AFC meant Super Air Flow Converter?

and VR4 meant Viscious Realtime 4?

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
VR4 - Victory Road AWD (4WD, but it's not an off-road 4WD, so AWD is more applicable) ... No, you really didn't want to know this.

Guess I should cancel my order for a lift kit, sunraisers and Bridgestone All Terrain 265/80 16's :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I thought S-AFC meant Super Air Flow Converter?
Check Apex'i's website ;)

and VR4 meant Viscious Realtime 4?
I did quite a bit of checking on this - the original source for Viscious Realtime is a forum post that has no reference. Victory Road, however, has a lot of history, with many products in Japan for Mitsubishi VR4's being advertised with that moniker over the years. Kieran did quite a lot of checking on this, too. While I don't have an official word from Mistubishi (and am unlikely to), there is a lot more to support Victory Road (as stupid as it sounds) than any of the other alternatives (which all have far less history and can often lead back to someone's unreferenced 'net posting). While an official clarification from Mitsubishi would end the confusion, I honestly prefer to live with the small hope that it may originally have meant something much cooler...

Guess I should cancel my order for a lift kit, sunraisers and Bridgestone All Terrain 265/80 16's :(
You know, I bet an offroad VR4 would actually work amazingly well with the AYC system, especially if you could find one with traction control... Although your speedo would be utterly useless with massive offroad tires on it!

sickvr4

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
i also understood it was viscous realtime 4. from when i got my 6th gen VR4, and a video i watched on youtube at once stage (in japanese mind you) although the jap's said in english "Active Four"

V - Viscous (representing the VCU - Viscous coupling Unit)
R - Realtime
4 - 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel independant suspension, 4 wheel ABS, and 4WS (4 wheel steering). add them up and that comes to 4

although it prolly doesn't really apply to the 8th gen does it? i just figured that they kept the name even after they turned the galant into a luxo sedan after they homologated the lancer for rallying

dato1200

Crunching Gears
First Name
dan
Drive
datsun 1200 2001 legnum vr4 type S
does any have a price list on these cars !!! from when they were new .

G

Unregistered
i also understood it was viscous realtime 4. from when i got my 6th gen VR4, and a video i watched on youtube at once stage (in japanese mind you) although the jap's said in english "Active Four"

V - Viscous (representing the VCU - Viscous coupling Unit)
R - Realtime
4 - 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel independant suspension, 4 wheel ABS, and 4WS (4 wheel steering). add them up and that comes to 4

although it prolly doesn't really apply to the 8th gen does it? i just figured that they kept the name even after they turned the galant into a luxo sedan after they homologated the lancer for rallying

they dont have 4 wheel steer.

and for those who carry on about AWD/4WD.. there is no bloody difference.. there is 4 wheels driving, so thats ALL the wheels..

G

Unregistered
Was AYC available on the Type V as an optional extra, or was buying a Type S the only way to get it?

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Manuals n Autos

I REALLY think this thread needs the colours toned down a bit... I can hardly read half that stuff...

Car production numbers:

2560 Galant Prefacelift VR-4's were made
1284 Galant Facelift VR-4's were made

23022 Legnum Prefacelift VR-4's and ST-R's were made
3140 Legnum Facelift VR-4's were made

See here

Thanks to BradC for this info :)

Interesting stuff i know there are less manuals than Autos but does anyone have the stats on that? It might be on that link but i was having trouble reading it :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom