VR4-related jargon and FAQs

G

Unregistered
Alright folks. Trevor (SiliconAngel) suggested we put together an FAQ thread, and it's a top idea, so here we are!

The idea is that you'll all post your various tips/jargon/info in this thread, then myself or another moderator will add it to this post in alphabetical order.

Let's get it started!

-----------------

Caps - Mitsubishi Parts Database
When Mitsubishi look up parts for your car this is the parts system they use to look up part numbers for you. Useful for looking up your own part numbers. Also helps compare/cross refrance parts with other mitsubishi models.

Facelift & Pre-facelift - Series 2 and Series 1 Legnum, respectively
The Series 2 Legnum VR4 was produced from 1998 to 2002. It's called the 'facelift' because while most of the car is identical to the Series 1 (which ran from 1996 to 1997), there are slight external differences which are the most obvious changes. These included a redesigned front bumper, including a pair of twin fog lights instead of the single light pair on the Series 1, and a redesigned tail lamp assembly and plastic tailgate finishing running between the lights on the Series 2.

Non-cosmetic changes include two slightly different models in the Series 2, the Type V and the Type S. The type S includes AYC just like the Series 1, while the type V does not.

Other differences include... (feel free to add more differences here)

MMCS
- Mitsubishi Multi Communications System
The MMCS unit was a factory option in the Galant and Legnum VR4. It includes touch-screen control of a number of functions, including the factory airconditioning system, Japanese television and radio station selection, Japanese GPS and satellite navigation system etc.

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
AYC - Active Yaw Control...
is an automobile feature designed by Mitsubishi Motors, first introduced in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV. It has been included in certain models of every subsequent generation, and was also used in the VR-4 variant of the 8th generation Galant and Legnum.
Active Yaw Control is based on a computer-controlled rear differential which can actively split torque based on input from various accelerometers in the vehicle measuring longitudinal and lateral g forces, steering, brakes and throttle position. Where ABS brakes are fitted they too are included in the input parameters. It accomplishes this via two hydraulic clutches which can limit torque on individual axles.
AYC is a performance-oriented system which aims to increase cornering speeds.
A much deeper explanation is at http://www.lancerregister.com/faq/G04/g04.html

INVECS & INVECS-II (Intelligent and Innovative Vehicle Electronic Control System)
The first generation of INVECS debuted in the 7th generation of the Mitsubishi Galant which was introduced in 1992. An array of sensors continuously monitored six parameters and, using "fuzzy logic", adapted the shift patterns in the automatic gearbox "on the fly" according to the driver's style.
Despite sharing its name with the previous system, INVECS-II was a radical development, based on Porsche's Tiptronic semi-automatic transmission technology. As with Porsche's version it allowed for either a fully automatic mode, or a clutchless semi-automatic mode if the driver wished to control the up- and down-shift points. It also offered the same Adaptive Shift Control software which monitored and "learned" the driver's habits over time and adjusted the smoothness or aggression of the gearshifts to suit his style.
INVECS-II can be reset by disconnecting the battery for approx 30 seconds.

These are two common things that newbies wouldn't be able to understand, quite handy info, thought it would be of use. Please add to list and edit if needed.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
8Th gen VR-4 specs

http://specs.amayama.com/search/ type in galant 1996>2000
http://specs.amayama.com/mitsubishi/legnum/
8th generation (EC5A/EC5W)

8th generation

Production1996–2002AssemblyNagoya plant, Okazaki, AichiClassMid-size carBody style(s)4-door sedan, wagonLayoutFront engine, 4WDEngine(s)2498 cc DOHC 24v V6, twin-turboTransmission(s)Four-wheel drive,
5-speed semi-auto
5-speed manual
The final VR-4 was introduced in 1996. The engine capacity was enlarged substantially to 2.5 L, which pushed the power up by 15 percent to the Japanese voluntary limit of 280 PS. The car was now capable of over 150 mph when derestricted, and could accelerate from 0-60 in about six seconds.
The Type-V model could be specified with either the existing 5-speed manual or the optional INVECS-II, which was now an advanced self-learning 5-speed semi-auto based on Porsche's Tiptronic transmission, while the Type-S model offered the optional Active Yaw Control (AYC). This complex rear diff was first seen on the Lancer Evo IV, and used an array of sensors to detect and quell oversteer, giving the ultimate VR-4 great agility for a vehicle of its size and weight.
With the 8th generation of the Galant, Mitsubishi introduced a station wagonLegnum) to replace the old 5-door hatchback, and the VR-4 was now available in both body styles.
North America and Europe were again denied this model, but the burgeoning grey import trade meant that it developed a cult following in several overseas territories, especially the United Kingdom and New Zealand. In 2000 MMC's motorsport partner Ralliart was contracted to type-approve

Technical specifications

Engine Configuration — DOHC 24v V type 6 cylinder
Code6A13TT
Bore/stroke, capacity — 81.0 × 80.8 mm, 2498 cc
Compression ratio — 8.5:1
Fuelling — ECI-MULTI, premium unleaded fuel
Peak power — 206 kW (280 PS) @ 5500 rpm
Peak torque — 367 N·m (271 ft·lbf) @ 4000 rpm
Transmission — 5 speed semi-auto / 5 speed manual
SuspensionMulti-link (front & rear)
Dimensions Length — 4680 mm Width — 1760 mm Height — 1420 mm Wheelbase — 2635 mm Curb weight — 1520 kg Fuel tank — 60 L Wheels/tyres (known in many markets as the Galants and Lancers for UK sales, and 200 VR-4s were officially imported before production finally ceased two years later. — 225/50 R16 91V

Future

Production of the VR-4 was halted in 2002 along with the rest of the Japanese-produced eighth generation, and there has been no indication of a direct replacement.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I REALLY think this thread needs the colours toned down a bit... I can hardly read half that stuff...

Car production numbers:

2560 Galant Prefacelift VR-4's were made
1284 Galant Facelift VR-4's were made

23022 Legnum Prefacelift VR-4's and ST-R's were made
3140 Legnum Facelift VR-4's were made

See here

Thanks to BradC for this info :)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Interesting to read the comment about Mitsubishi borrowing the gearbox technology from Porsche, seeing Porsche builds their Tiptronic boxes under licence from Mitsubishi...

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Now that's an interesting fact Kris! Cant wait to throw that at a mate of mine who has a Porsche :)

G

Unregistered
they are just trying to pass the buck for crappy torque converter seals! :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
that is correct. Mitsi originally thought the auto's weren't strong enough so they dropped the boost on the early auto's which lost them 20hp and some torque too.Then they found out that the auto's died all the time regardless of the amount of power, so they figured what the heck, we might as well make them all 280hp

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I was going to reply to this in the thread I started but it seems that someone closed it with out the right to reply.:wanker:

The link to the VR-4 specifications is http://specs.amayama.com/mitsubishi/legnum/
enjoy the info.
Jason

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Cheers for that Lee, I hope it helps and sorry if I gave you the wrong idea. Hope it helps someone (I am trying to be a good poster now) Hey if anyone needs specs on other cars (their not all VR4 as I was in trouble for) here is the direct link and you can check out any JDM you want

http://specs.amayama.com/

Cheers,
Jason

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hey guys,

Soon I'll get to where I'm going on this forum, but I think I'm finally in the right place thanks to Leebutts.;)

Anyway I thought it might be usefull to newbs to know what the different spec models have as features. So I developed a register of the different models from real info as well as speculated from others misc posts (mainly focussed on TCL, AYC, ASC etc). But I think we can develop this further to include options such as MMCS, recaros, etc. But please don't add what you think; just what you know from reading facts or actual experience.

This is what I started, feel free to correct me as well:

PFL Galant/Legnum

VR-4 Auto
Standard: AYC, ASC, TCL, ABS

VR-4 Manual
Standard: AYC, ABS

Super VR-4
Standard: AYC, TCL, ASC, ABS, Recaro Seats, Momo steering wheel

Car of the Year Edition (COTY) (auto only)
Standard: White only, Black leather seats, wood-grain interior trim

FL Galant/Legnum

VR-4 Type V (Manual & Auto)
Standard: ABS

VR-4 Type S (Auto)
Standard: AYC, ABS
Option: ASC, TCL
[according to BradC ASC & TCL are non-existent]

VR-4 Type S (Manual)
Standard: ABS, AYC
Option: Recaro Seats, Momo steering wheel

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
All Type S facelifts, auto and manual have AYC.

All facelifts had the option of recaro seats and momo wheel, while all super vr-4's came with them.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
My 2000 Type S Galant has "carbon fibre" dash trim, dont know how many do but I haven't seen another one and it looks factory

GetAttachment2.jpg

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Jase carbon fibre centre consoles are standard on Supers and actually seem to be the most common option in the later model cars. You WON'T find it in CoTY editions, as they have the ugly wood-grain finish and matching wheel. Take a look throught the Members' Rides section and you'll see a lot of people have it, including moi :)

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Jase carbon fibre centre consoles are standard on Supers and actually seem to be the most common option in the later model cars. You WON'T find it in CoTY editions, as they have the ugly wood-grain finish and matching wheel. Take a look throught the Members' Rides section and you'll see a lot of people have it, including moi :)
I tell you what is interesting about the yellow/gold CF!

When you look at the side of the carbon parts, the carbon weave actually looks like it is silver and the sun has tarnished the clear coat ontop, making it seem GOLD!

Anyone know if they came out with gold/yellow as a set colour?

Top Bottom