VR4 Standard Flair Kit On A Standard VR4 Without Flair Kit. How ?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey all,
For those who installed a type-s flair kit on a non flair kit car (example: like the type-v non ayc) just curious to know how you went in installing them ? Did you go through all the trouble drilling holes or did you just glued it on ? Or ?

Thanks

Corrupt

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
Daily: 1998 Galant VR-4
Project: 1934 Ford Roadster
I drilled most the holes required (the ones in the flares, cut the square holes in the front bumper for the little flares) all up maybe 2 per flare/wheel arch.

Then i just bolted them on with some SS nuts and bolts and some 3M tape the inside of the flares to stick to the body where the other holes should be.

Did the seals/trims(?) as well, 99% the same to the current Pajero flare trims, but take a sample just in case. from memory, i think it was about 40 bucks a length.

After 2 years one is starting to come away a tiny bit but it's hardly noticeable, the rest are rock solid.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Oh cool.
Yeah I just didn't know if people were actually making the holes or just using some silicon/glue and sticking them.

Was it hard marking the wholes ? I know its on the back of the flares but to get it exactly.

Only asking because once I find a very clean galant and if its a v-type I want to add the flares.

Corrupt

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
I wanted to have a mechanical fixing more so if the 3M came loose i wouldn't lose the flare all together, but gluing would work too.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow in the light, but just having a quick feel (facing wheels) i drilled holes at 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock for drivers rear (so 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock for passenger rear) to match the flare.

I cut the 4 square holes in the front bumper by drilling the corners of each hole then finishing with a stanley knife (used masking tape and a white board marker to "stamp" the position of the lugs from the flare to the bumper).

The front flares however i can't remember, i think the holes may have already been there? I don't remember drilling there...

Corrupt

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
Here's where i drilled and bolted the rear flares to the car (mirror photo for passenger side);

20190621_091429.jpg

As for the fronts i'm now pretty sure i didn't have to drill anything, just the holes for the little flares in the bumper.

And for the other mounting locations, i stuck the 3M tape back to back on the mounting lugs until the distance was closed and the tape touched the panel.

Sorry if it sounds a bit vague, i usually take photos while i'm doing any work on the car but for this i must not have :facepalm:.

Top Bottom