VR4s and towing?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Just curious, as most people buying Legnums are buying them for family reasons/extra storage space, was wondering if Legnums would be any good at towing?

Im not talking towing a dual axle caravan or anything, just a light 6x4 trailer with a couple of light objects in it.

If it places extra risk on the auto trans then I probably wouldnt bother - but id say getting a trans cooler would be the minimum requirement.

G

Unregistered
If u don't lower it, it should be perfect. We used to tow a 18foot yacht with an 85 toyota seca 1.6l ... so with the torque the VR4 puts out it should be fine.We also pulled our 17foot bayliner with a auto rav4 before it went to the 2.4l model and that was fine ... That car really didn't have the torque to get up hills but it did the job.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
ask 'William' an NZ member on Club VR-4, he has a huge boat (2.5 tons) that he towed with an Auto Prefacelift Legnum. He found that the box would overheat, so he got a transmission cooler installed. Now he has a Manual Facelift Legnum and definately prefers that for towing the boat.

G

Unregistered
Hey Brad, are there any companies in NZ that make up a tow bar kit? or would you have to get it engineered over here?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
'best bars' do a Legnum setup, not sure if they actually have it as a kit though...

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I'm sure any towbar company or engineer firm could set one up, this will be one of the first things i'm going to look into when i get me car.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Yeah I'll be looking in Sydney for one. We take 3 road bikes to Eastern Creek pretty regularly.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
We have a tow bar on ours, no problems towing the box trailer.

Got mine made at a 'local' tow bar place in Brisbane. Rated at 1ton so no dramas with your required towing capacity

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
wat was the name of the place u got ya tow bar done at matie im in brissy area . and just brought a boat!

G

Unregistered
what would be needed for an auto facelift legnum to tow a car trailer plus a 1300kg car? would it be possible?

G

Unregistered
lol, is that all though? apart from the appropriately rated towbar.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea dude, the VR4 should be MORE than capable... Well, a MT would - your Auto won't be that happy about it, but as long as you keep it cooled down enough it should be fine :)

damian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Damian
Drive
2000 black legnum
As our cars are grey imports and there is no towing spec on them, you can tow 1.5 x the weight of your car, so if our cars weigh 1000kg then you can tow 1500kg legally. But anything over 750kg must have breaks fitted to the trailer.

G

Unregistered
hmmm, so buying a car trailer with brakes will be expensive than i was originally looking at.

damian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Damian
Drive
2000 black legnum
Unless youget a really old car trailer it will more than likley have brakes anyway. All cars can only tow up to 750kg without brakes, even a landcruiser or F250.

G

Unregistered
even if the trailer doesnt have brakes it is fairly easy to convert it over. All you will need is a set of brakes and matching hubs 3-4m of high pressure hydraulic hose 4 hose clamps and a hydraulic slash braking tow hitch and 4-5 hours of time.

Top Bottom