Warning about compliance oil filters

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Hi guys,

Just had word back from a workshop that the compliance-spec oil filters (can't remember the brand now, Cooper or something) have been having problems with blowing off, basically.

One of my customers with an Evo 7 got pulled over for blowing too much smoke, and they only just traced the problem, pretty lucky given the damage it could do without oil in the motor. His filter wasn't left on the road, it was still on the car, but there was oil all over the place underneath the filter.

This only applies to guys who brought their cars in earlier and had their oil filter changed in compliance.

Because this is what is listed by the workshop on the paperwork sent to Canberra, that is the filter they have to use - this is why, in recent times, workshops have been putting stickers on to say that oil (and oil filters) haven't been changed during compliance.

So go and check your oil (and oil filter!)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Kris, I can definitely confirm that it's the "Cooper" brand, and mine went through compliance in August last year upin Brisbane.

That's what I found when I changed my oil a month ago... and it's also the Z142A, the bigger of the two that can fit.

Do yourself a favour and swap it out to the Z411 sized filter, the narrower but taller version that also fits fine.

Guide to change/flush your oil written by Carsten over here

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
z411? isn't that thing a little small for the application? i can't remember what filter was used in my car when i first got it.. but definitely it was z142a..

a little bit OT, i used z411 on my 6a13tt and it tapped alot.. but after replacing it with a z56b, tapping went away..

my filter never did popped..

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Well I'll definately be checking the filter when I get home... My car blew some blue smoke just after I picked it up yesterday, but it only lasted about 1-2 mins... I know there was definately oil left when I got home as I checked it, BUT Im worried the filter has split

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
tell your stupid compliance centres to stop screwing with your cars and tell the stupid government to leave the ****ing cars alone!

G

Unregistered
mine had a coopers filter too, however i swapped it for a new filter straight away anyway.

G

Unregistered
What is a decent reputable brand filter anyway?
I've usually gone with Ryco for my cars.

G

Unregistered
That is another reason to get your car fully serviced once you get it in your hot little hands.

lol i have done about 4 or 5 oil changes since i picked mine up last year so hopefully i am in the clear :p

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea I think you'll be ok Jase ;) :p

As bad as it is to hear people have experienced blown filters, its good to know that's the cause of it, after all
icon14.gif

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Just checked my filter then - clean as. BUT I do have drops of oil on the passenger side of the car just in back from the radiator, just in line with the fog lamp. Can't get under the car tonight to check where its coming from, but needless to say i'm concerned :(

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Ive been meaning to check mine but havent had the chance :p I assume they would have replaced it when i had the car serviced though.

G

Unregistered
lucky for me that shogun dont do most of that service stuff, just filters and thats about it...the oil they leave so that i can put my own type in.

Top Bottom