Wave spring auto - already done by Mitsi?

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Hi there, is there some way I can tell if my car might already have the correct wave spring mod: I heard that Mitsi went back to the solid one at some stage, and would hate to open my box to find it already has one, as another member here discovered. I have a 2002 Galant gen 8.
Many thanks

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Would there be a warranty recall sticker on the rear window? or it was never warranted?

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
I don't know, car was a private import in 2013, and only has 97,000 kms on at moment; I am the 3rd owner in Oz. Don't see any sticker - would they have done this in Japan? I just that maybe there would be a way to tell by serial number or year of manufacture, because from some of the reading I've done, it seems that Mitsu put the thinner spring in, and then realised their error, and went back to the thick one? So my logic was if this was the last year of manufacture in Japan (2002), then maybe it was done? Looking for someone who knows more than I do - thanks for your reply!!

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
My car had the solid wave spring already but I didn'the know that until I went to have it changed. There is a thread on transmission variants somewhere on here but nothing conclusive from what I remember.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
my last legnum before manual conversion was one the later builds with a different speed sensor and it had wave spring through it

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I believe there is actually a theory that earlier models are more likely to have the solid spring as Mitsubishi added the weak one to soften shifts in later models

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Thank you everyone for taking time out to help me

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Mine is 1998, I was the first Australian owner (with 42,000km), and I changed the spring. But.... it already had the heavier one in it.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Mine is 1998, I was the first Australian owner (with 42,000km), and I changed the spring. But.... it already had the heavier one in it.
Nice, thanks;my gut tells me mine might have been done, as it has 97,000 kms, and drives nicely; It's 2002, but I just don't know - it's a lot of work, so doubt I will take it out just to check .....just have to see if I get any symptoms rather than outright failure if it is the "fragile" one

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
You can always drain the fluid to see if it's in the sump.
If it's the fragile one it's probably broken already, but if it didn't hit anything on the way thru you are probably fine anyway.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Thanks soo much - that's a great idea - I will be doing that; should I take the sump off, or just drain it?
Cheers

Is there someone here still collating data on these, as I can supply my details, and the details of a spare box I bought just in case.

Top Bottom