What aftermarket car PCs are available?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Hey guys, I've had a search through here and can't really see anything about shop bought car PCs, I don't want to make a car PC, but I was thinking about running one, I'm after a double DIN unit.

My reasoning behind thinking about a car PC is so I can run the EvoScan gauges and flash the ECU from the car along with the usual double din stereo stuff like bluetooth, DVD player, USB slots, reverse camera, etc.

Anyone have any opinions, advice or experience on a car PC? Good idea, bad idea?

Something like this seems like it would be good:

http://carputer.me/

Its pretty expensive but looks like a good unit.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Bumping this up, surely someone has some sort of experience with this kind of stuff.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I have one, i really need to sell.

I have the 2 x Single din version, was going to use it but never did. Still thought about it recently.

I really don't drive enough long distances anymore to need all the awesomeness a car pc brings.

Good specs. If you are keen i will post it up tonight when i get home.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Unfortunately if you want to go a Double DIN unit, you're going to pay through the arse. I researched them and ended up building my own setup instead.
The one you listed is nice, but you could also put that together for cheaper, at least under $1000.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
This might sound silly, but have you thought buying a cheap netbook & using it as a kind of carpc?
Get a cheap head unit with AUX input & run a short audio cable from the netbook to the stereo & run the audio through the car speakers.

Infinitely upgradable & portable to boot!

That's what I'm going to do ...... eventually. Just need something called money.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I am assuming you have seen my carpc thread and matchtheclowns car pc thread.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I have one, i really need to sell.

I have the 2 x Single din version, was going to use it but never did. Still thought about it recently.

I really don't drive enough long distances anymore to need all the awesomeness a car pc brings.

Good specs. If you are keen i will post it up tonight when i get home.

Thanks Scott but im really just looking for opinions and options at the moment as I have a few projects that I need to finish first.

Unfortunately if you want to go a Double DIN unit, you're going to pay through the arse. I researched them and ended up building my own setup instead.
The one you listed is nice, but you could also put that together for cheaper, at least under $1000.

I can build a computer but are the parts to make a double din unit that boots quickly and is easily usable available? I would like it to fit neatly as a double din unit. My main reasoning behind looking at this is to be able to use the EvoScan guage software and ecuflash. I still don't even know if its worth doing, I'm just thinking about it at this stage.

This might sound silly, but have you thought buying a cheap netbook & using it as a kind of carpc?
Get a cheap head unit with AUX input & run a short audio cable from the netbook to the stereo & run the audio through the car speakers.

Infinitely upgradable & portable to boot!

That's what I'm going to do ...... eventually. Just need something called money.

I have though of that and its definitely an option, how well would this work and how easy would it be to rig up? I mean I don't need to view the gauges all the time and I don't need to flash the ECU all the time so if its easy enough to run it that way that could be a much better/cheaper option.

I am assuming you have seen my carpc thread and matchtheclowns car pc thread.

Yes I did, but I would like to keep a factory look to mine and keep it all pretty neat behind the panel thats why I was thinking a double din unit.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I have though of that and its definitely an option, how well would this work and how easy would it be to rig up? I mean I don't need to view the gauges all the time and I don't need to flash the ECU all the time so if its easy enough to run it that way that could be a much better/cheaper option.

I'm looking at something like this;
http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/149449/NOTEBOOKS_10.4/Gigabyte/GA-T1000P.asp
The screen multi-touch too & runs a higher resolution than the standard netbooks. Was thinking either having a netbook rig affixed to the window, or just attach to the top of the dash & take it with me when I leave the car. So the screened can be flipped around & used just a pad-like PC, which is what I want (the screen being rotatable, not fixed like most).

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I would rather hide the notebook away and use the double din area to keep it all looking clean, thats the main reason I don't want to mount gauges all over the place, I would like to keep it looking stock and subtle.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Why use a car pc when you can use an iPad:

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Because its an iPad and is made by satin and his hell brood. Not only that but I highly doubt that its compatible with EvoScan, ECU flash and the open port 2.0 cable. Also it doesn't fit into the category of factory look or subtle.

EDIT: I love the way he tries to get the ipod thing to work and it keeps crashing.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Actually hamish has a working evoscan for ipad (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=evoscan+ipad) you could buy it for a bit but now he pulled it and is working on android etc for a bit but told me last week it should hopefully be on track with it again this month or so.

Unfortunately as you say in these kinds of cars it won't really fit in factory.. it does in some bigger cars like the soundman audio guys doing it in US trucks but there pretty much just isn't room in most normal sized sedan style car.

than and apparently you hate you satin and his hell brood lol

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
To answer your question properly, the majority of people go for an external carPC under the seat or similar (such as the one you pasted) and a lilliput 7" LCD in-dash, not aware of any double din solutions. a few people pulled eeePCs apart and used the standard LCD connector so you could potentially do similar using a laptop there.

www.mp3car.com is the canonical resource.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Do you know of any other external units or something similar, the one I posted is pretty expensive? Would you be able to hook them up to one of those pioneer or Kenwood or (insert brand name) 7" DVD units? Or is it just not worth bothering with? I suppose if I could get one of those 7" DVD/TV/etc units that you could plug a netbook into, I could run the HDMI/Monitor cable under the carpet to under the passenger seat or something like that and just run the laptop when I want the ability to use the gauges/logging/flashing.

than and apparently you hate you satin and his hell brood lol

;)

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Problem with the brand name 7" units is they won't be touch which you usually want.

You can definitely get cheaper units, $300-$500.. check ebay or the mp3car.com store. mp3car.com also has the lilliput touch LCDs. and check the forums for other peoples builds.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Problem with the brand name 7" units is they won't be touch which you usually want.

Really? All the ones I have seen have been touch screen with a couple of really small buttons down the bottom.

I'll have a look over that site but if anyone else has any ideas/opinions please feel free to let me know. I'm exploring my options :)

Thanks for the pointers Trent.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
OK more to the point.. the touch output won't usually be available to an external device, only the built-in headunit.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Right, I got you now. sweet, I'll have a look over that site to see if I can find anything.

Top Bottom