NSW What an introduction to the Legnum...

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 Type S
Hey guys,

Thought it was about time to say hi to everyone, and share my experience so far....

So about 4 months ago I bought my first 2002 Legnum VR4 Type S with 112,000km on the clock. For the first week or two, I loved it! AWD, auto, twin turbo, was awesome :)
It also just had a major service on the auto gearbox to the value of $5,500 with a 12 month warranty! Winning!

HOWEVER, after about 3 weeks of owning it, it just died. It started taking itself out of drive, and just was free-revving. Reverse would work fine, but forward gears did not.

SO, I put it on the truck and sent it back to be looked at by the shop with the warranty.
This was over 3 months ago.

The repairer still has no idea whats going on... but assures me it is electrical and not mechanical.
So now I am trying to find wiring diagrams for the auto transmission, or the engine, or the body or ANYTHING really... can anyone help??

AAAAnyways... I just want my car back so I can enjoy it :( :(
Hopefully my experience gets better!!

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
! Welcome To OzVR4 !
Hopefully its a eazy fix, but by the sounds of it, sorry to say but i think something's wrong with the gearbox.

So its at the repairer for 3 months now ? If so, then what are they doing ? You'd think by now if they can't figure it out they would have changed or reconditioned the box, could be the solenoid's ?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Might be about time to take it to someone who knows these cars.

Have you checked that you actually have a rear propshaft? Don't laugh, its happened before... (Sorry, jk, I doubt thats the issue. But seriously, it has happened before)

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
! Welcome To OzVR4 !
Hopefully its a eazy fix, but by the sounds of it, sorry to say but i think something's wrong with the gearbox.

So its at the repairer for 3 months now ? If so, then what are they doing ? You'd think by now if they can't figure it out they would have changed or reconditioned the box, could be the solenoid's ?

I agree sounds something is wrong with the gearbox... but he has rebuilt it two times and cant find anything wrong with it at all.... so the gearbox apparrently is fine...

yep 3 months and counting.. so shocking!

Might be about time to take it to someone who knows these cars.

Have you checked that you actually have a rear propshaft? Don't laugh, its happened before... (Sorry, jk, I doubt thats the issue. But seriously, it has happened before)

haha yeah well the way it is at the moment, is that it isnt costing me any money to have it fixed as its under warranty... if i was to take it somewhere else... who knows what i would end up paying!

Im stuck between a rock and a hard place if you know what I mean..

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
I know you said he rebuilt it twice but personally i think it could be the solenoid's to be honest.

If its done twice then they should at least try'd a second gearbox, anyways hope it works out soon.

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
I know you said he rebuilt it twice but personally i think it could be the solenoid's to be honest.

If its done twice then they should at least try'd a second gearbox, anyways hope it works out soon.

Cheers. I will definitely be suggesting that he takes another look at them.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
In Sydney then holla for a TME, don't waist time elsewhere...

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Steve will probably just tell you to man up and get a manual tho... :p

I'm pretty sure there are consumer laws that allow you to take it somewhere else if you have given the original seller ample opportunity to fix a problem.

Have you tried a new TCU though? If they are that sure it is an electric issue and you can find one it is probably worth trying, but you need to make sure it is a match to your specific box.

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
Steve will probably just tell you to man up and get a manual tho... :p

I'm pretty sure there are consumer laws that allow you to take it somewhere else if you have given the original seller ample opportunity to fix a problem.

Have you tried a new TCU though? If they are that sure it is an electric issue and you can find one it is probably worth trying, but you need to make sure it is a match to your specific box.

haha Im going through a little auto phase at the moment... the manual will come haha!

yeah the laws state that it has to be completed in a "timely manner" also... but that hasn't happened. I will give him the option today to hand it over to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Haven't tried TCU.. that may be next on the cards.. Surely the shop would have been able to diagnose that though, right?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Well if it's taken them 3 months, I doubt they're capable of diagnosing jack shit!

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
^^^ Agree with above.

Honestly just take it to someone else, you don't want to receive the car back from them and then stuffing up again.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Your typical dealer. Buys a car, polishes it and sends it on its way, hoping nothing breaks within a year. Stuff breaks, and they have no clue how to fix it but won't man up and spend the money to fix the issue outside of their own dumbass workshop.

Top Bottom