What Are Your Favourite Roads?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
To kick things off, here are a few of my memorable drives in no particular order:

I'm from NSW so the other states will be vague....

New South Wales
Bulga to Windsor (Putty Road) - pity they reduced the speed limits through the fun bits
Walcha to Port Macquarie (Oxley Highway)
Wisemans Ferry to Broke via Wolembi and Mangrove Mountain - again speed limits reduced
Bells Line of Road out to Mt Irvine - again speed limits reduced
Blackheath down into Megalong Valley - again speed limits reduced, theres a theme here
Bellingen to Dorrigo (Waterfall Way)
Dorrigo to Grafton - but probably rough as by now
Coffs Harbour to Dorrigo up, dirt but was smooth as silk when I did it, probably just lucky via Coramba and Megan
Cliff Drive in Katoomba (would love to see that as a tarmac rally special stage - never gonna happen)
Murwillimbah to Kyogle
Bathurst to Oberon to Jenolan caves and back to Mt Victoria
Goulburn to Oberon
Bermagui to Bega via Tathra
Batemans Bay to Braidwood
Nowra to Robertson and back down to Wollongong
Tamworth to Nundle (Sentimental)
Nundle to Hanging Rock
Wallabadah to Nundle
Moonbi to Limbri to Woolbrook (Better have some mudflaps on and don't be scared)
Armidale to Dorrigo

Victoria
Albury to Falls Creek
Around the Grampians
Found some really cool roads around Beech forest just north of the Great Ocean Road which in itself would awesome in the right conditions (but mine weren't)
Oh and through the Dandenongs is cool

Tasmania
All of it but specifically
I went Launceston to St Helens and somehow past the Ben Lomond ski field once through a place called elephants pass or something, that was cool some of it was dirt, buggered if i can work out the rooute looking at the maps now....
Lake gordon to new norfolk

South Australia
Adelaide to Cape Jervis (that's vague)
Vivonne Bay to Cape De Couedic especially the last bit - Kangaroo island

Western Australia
Around Pemberton, can't remember specifics, damn I can't remember any specifics of anywhere there actually but there were three all south of Perth :)

Some of these may not have been the best roads ever and partly just my combination of good enough road on a perfect day or I was late or something

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Walcha to Port Macquarie (Oxley Highway)

As discussed in the other thread :D

Wisemans Ferry to Broke via Wolembi and Mangrove Mountain - again speed limits reduced

Best road to take to head from my direction to Sydney, love it

Bellingen to Dorrigo (Waterfall Way)

Another AWESOME stretch, and the road isn't in too bad condition either

Dorrigo to Grafton - but probably rough as by now

Tamworth to Nundle (Sentimental)
Nundle to Hanging Rock
Wallabadah to Nundle

I think those ones apply to EVERY car enthusiast in Tamworth don't they?

Moonbi to Limbri to Woolbrook (Better have some mudflaps on and don't be scared)

You don't need mudflaps ;)

And, it didn't even bottom out once!

Shame half the road got washed away by floods though. This pic was from when I went that way in 2008? I think...

Picture035.jpg

Armidale to Dorrigo

Boring as hell. Well, I have driven it about 400 times so it is for me anyways haha

There's a few other good NSW ones, but the roads are rough as guts :(

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
my favourite rds in vic would be mountain HWY going up mount dande and the long ass stretch of twisties going from marys ville to warburton

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Elephant pass in Tassie is great as is the road to Lake Gordon, actually if you look in my ride thread there is a picture taken along that road :D
I also love Oyster Cove road in Tassie from Channel Highway to Channel highway (yeah the highway loops back around to it)
The whole East coast highway from Weldborough down to Sorell is pretty nice too. (done in many times on my bike)
Haven't done it but the road into Queenstown is pretty good too I am told.

Milamber

Crunching Gears
First Name
Zach
Drive
POS
Elephant pass in Tassie is great as is the road to Lake Gordon, actually if you look in my ride thread there is a picture taken along that road :D
I also love Oyster Cove road in Tassie from Channel Highway to Channel highway (yeah the highway loops back around to it)
The whole East coast highway from Weldborough down to Sorell is pretty nice too. (done in many times on my bike)
Haven't done it but the road into Queenstown is pretty good too I am told.

I used to live in tassie and i agree...

If you make a run down to Queenstown, make sure you go via the Hellyer Gorge... Trust me... It is one of the best roads in Tassie...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
First of all I am REALLY sorry about duplicating a thread, in my stupidity I searched for favourite and best as opposed to the now obvious road....

Anyway... I think I built up the Queenstown run too much but it's good, I remember some stuff through Zeehan and across to Cradle Mtn being pretty damn good too

And Dawso, the last time I went on the road to Woolbrok was 1996 or 97 but I drove it probably 20 times in 93 and another 20 in 94, back then it was rough as with golf ball to tennis ball sized rocks all over the place, did love it though....

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Forgot the Royal National park south of Sydney.... and again, that used to be 100 (sigh)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I like driving the Burringbar range near Murwillumbah. To many police and speed cameras now though, people used to always drive there commodores and falcons up there, fall off the mountains and die.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
There's some AWESOME driving on the Mornington Peninsula, south east of Melbourne. Just pick a road and chances are you'll eventually end up on some nice twisty scenic road. Bittern-Dromana Rd is a good one but last time I went down it, it needed some work. Of course the road up to Arthurs Seat is also good, but definitely not for speeding or crazy moves, with a cliff face on one side and a looooooong tumble on the other, all blind corners, not somewhere to be a dickhead.

The Dandenong Ranges is the same deal, nice twisty scenic roads, and one i discovered recently is Pakenham-Healesville Rd. Must do that one again soon:)

Top Bottom