What is best aftermarket shock strut similar to stock

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Can someone advise what best shock strut replacement would give similar ride comfort to stock shocks? We have a stock 2002 Galant that we are happy to keep stock, so not chasing performance, as it is wife's car. I was able to find Eclipse bump stops on EBay at only $14, but shipping at $114 US puts that idea to bed (it's only our bump stops that are disintegrating).
Thanks

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
There are Bilstein / KYB / Ralliart options as I recall, I found the Bilsteins comfy with good performance.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I know I had KYB for my rears with stock springs for a while, they were adjustable so you could dial them down for comfort like stock or up for a bit more sportyness.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Can someone advise what best shock strut replacement would give similar ride comfort to stock shocks? We have a stock 2002 Galant that we are happy to keep stock, so not chasing performance, as it is wife's car. I was able to find Eclipse bump stops on EBay at only $14, but shipping at $114 US puts that idea to bed (it's only our bump stops that are disintegrating).
Thanks
You can have my oem setup, I pulled it out at 27000kays the car was as tight as a drum. They have been sitting in a storage tub in the garage for 3 years though, I don't know if that effects it.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks
How much do you want to spend

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
You can have my oem setup, I pulled it out at 27000kays the car was as tight as a drum. They have been sitting in a storage tub in the garage for 3 years though, I don't know if that effects it.
Did I get that right, only 27.000 kms? you must have got a nice car with such low mileage. Whereabouts are you located? I'm in Brisbane.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
I know I had KYB for my rears with stock springs for a while, they were adjustable so you could dial them down for comfort like stock or up for a bit more sportyness.
Thanks for that, I like the idea of being adjustable - do you remember the model or part number? wife does not want a harsher ride, just like it is, as she is not a racer, but likes the looks of her car....I get the pleasure of also looking and working on it, and getting the occasional ride (for testing purposes....lol).

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
How much do you want to spend
Thanks, not looking to spend more than what it takes to get back to stock good condition, just pointless for wife, she just wants a comfy ride, and we can't find replacement bump stops, so need to look at waht can replace it (I'm presuming that whatever someone suggests takes into account that the bump stop rubbers seem to be unavailable (I can get them on US Ebay, but shipping for 4 little rubbers is $150, for $44 worth of rubbers)

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Did I get that right, only 27.000 kms? you must have got a nice car with such low mileage. Whereabouts are you located? I'm in Brisbane.
In Algester mate, near Sunnybank. Yes 27000 kms, It was absolutely mint, unfortunately 3 years of sun and hail (not driven much) have taken its toll but the bones of the car are still very young.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
In Algester mate, near Sunnybank. Yes 27000 kms, It was absolutely mint, unfortunately 3 years of sun and hail (not driven much) have taken its toll but the bones of the car are still very young.
Ahh, that's so sad mate! what do you plan to do with it? Is it manual or auto? I live on Brisbane northside near Ferny Grove, so can prob pick up at some convenient point for both of us.
How much would you want for the 4? Cheers

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
Ahh, that's so sad mate! what do you plan to do with it? Is it manual or auto? I live on Brisbane northside near Ferny Grove, so can prob pick up at some convenient point for both of us.
How much would you want for the 4? Cheers
You can have the suspension just let me know when you want to pick them up. Im too deep in the car now so I will finish it eventually.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
You can have the suspension just let me know when you want to pick them up. Im too deep in the car now so I will finish it eventually.
Thank you, we don't often come down south, but as it happens, we are down in NSW on a weekend with caravan; we will be going home tomorrow and should pass through South Brisbane between 11 and 12 - is that perhaps an opportunity to stop by and pick up? if so, just pm me details, or let me know and I can pm you my mobile to arrange. Otherwise I will arrange another date / time with you.
Cheers

Top Bottom