What would cause the following?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
SYMPTOM:

* when approaching completion of a full stop in tip mode (ie: when the box will change down from 4,3 whatever to 1) Skiddy car light comes on with TCL and car threatens to stall.

If I let the car roll forward a little bit I can prevent it stalling. then it seems to idle normally. If I place the car in auto mode and execute the same procedure, it doesn't really do it as badly.

STEPS FOLLOWED TO TRY FIX / DIAGNOSE:

* disconnected battery for 10 minutes to reset ECU
* reconnected battery, startup OK... allowed for couple minutes idle then drove off in auto mode. Everything seems fine, pottered around town and then decided to hit northern motorway to silverdale and then do a power run on the old Albany highway.

* once I'd left the highway at silverdale, I opened it up completely in tip mode from 2nd gear pull off, changing at 5500rpm. No problems that I could tell, gear changes were executed normally and my licence flashed before my eyes several times.

WTF?

On the way back home, I did the same thing again - ie, come to a complete stop at red lights. If I brake smoothly with a clear road and come to a smooth stop, it's fine. As soon as I have to use the brakes harder, then as i become stationary, the revs go to normal idle then dip to about 200rpm and thenyou guessed it - Skiddycar and TCL light, the battery light also flashes and the car has stalled.

Engage N and restart, engage D - no problem, pull off as normal, no dramas.

Why does it seem more prevalent when coming to a stop in tip mode than in auto? this stalling issue is the only problem. Checked the ATF and it's present and red colour.

I can say though - those EBC brake pads and the new front discs make a world of difference!!! I think next time I will go with the Red Stuff though as the Green Stuff is recommended for cars up to 200 BHP but they still do the job.

G

Unregistered
be warnd red stuff are disk eaters/warpers

do you have a stock bov or VTA?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
To me it sounds as if the asc and tcl lights are coming up because of the low engine revs, and I doubt the problem is being caused because of this.The problem is due to the revs dropping right down to nothing when you come to a stop. I beleive you have a stock BOV, so I don't think the problem is related to that, however you may have an airleak in the piping that is causing the issue, the other thing would be to check your idle stepper motor and possibly get it looked at by mitsi.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
thanks for the replies. this stuff all started once MMC had my PS rack out and serviced it. At first it wasn't much, but having driven it a bit more tonight it seems to have settled down a bit.

I'll definitely have them check it out next time I have some work done. Also seeing as "summer" is (hopefully) upon us, I will go and give Siverdale radiators a look about AT coolers and see what they have to say about getting one fitted.

I see ads for them often enough on Tardme.

PS: what is an idle stepper motor and how much does it cost to repair/replace?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
basically it keeps the throttle body open to the right opening at idle so you don't rev too high or too low.

As for fixing it, most of the time it just needs to be cleaned, so it shouldn't be much at all.

Top Bottom