What's a fair price for a VR4???

damo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Damo
Drive
98 VR4 Galant 5sp M
G'day Everyone, new member here, so go easy.

I've been looking around for a new car for a month or so now. Started off looking at skylines, but the amount of thrashed rubbish with cable ties and gaffa tape holding stuff together has put me off.

I don't mind the Aristo's either, but it's still not quite what i'm after. I'd never heard of a vr4 till about 2 weeks ago, and now I am keen with a captial F!!!

Now, I know there's not that many around, but I don't have the time to import my own, and there are a few dealers around Brisvegas with 1 or 2, but I can't help but feel that they are capitalising on the market with so few about.
I should specify that I want a sedan, so no Legnums. So...What should I be willing to pay for a quite tidy '96-'98 model with little or no mods and under 130,000km. I don't have a set budget, but the more in my pocket, the better, if ya know what i mean.

All input appreciated,
Cheers,
Damo

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
G'day Damo, welcome to the forums :)

$10k to $12k should be a decent ballpark figure for Series 1 (pre-facelift) VR4 Galants... IF you're importing it yourself. If you buying one landed from a dealer, add anywhere from $4k to $10k, depending on the dealer.

Alternatively have a chat to our mate Kristian, the Iron Chef who has a couple of cars already landed in Aus, and more on the way. He's not in QLD, but it might work out a hell of a lot cheaper to buy one off him and ship it interstate than buying from a dealer over in Brisvegas... ;)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Shucks, Trev, you're making me blush :)

For auto, probably closer to $10K, for manual $12K or maybe $12500. Really depends on the car.

Welcome to the forums btw, Damo. :)

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Mate I paid an outrages price for my 2001 Facelift Manual from a dealer(outrages compared to import price), but like yourself I did'nt want the wait of importing myself and also wanted the newer VR4 with low Km's(and i am inpatient), if you want to know how much I paid I can PM ya.

damo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Damo
Drive
98 VR4 Galant 5sp M
Thanx for the input guys. Checking another one out later today, so fingers crossed.
p.s. there are some freakin' dodgy dealers out there. I would have bought one last week, but the guy's had no idea what they were talking about and tried to bullshit about what i did know. Shame.
Anyway, I'll check back with findings.
Damo

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Hey mate... the Skyline is a great car (especially the r33 sedans with minor mods). I know of one that will be for sale for around $11,500 when a certain Legnum is delivered to my door ;)

good luck with your search for a galant.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
the Skyline is a great car
Yes it is... but its also boringly common these days, which is something I find hard to ignore. Driving the Commodore of Jap imports might be fine for some, but I totally understand why someone would want something a little different ;)

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Thats it Trevor, i currently own a mitsubishi Cordia also quiet rare but the problem with them is that they are getting old and rare and starting to become extinct if you want a good one, the legnum/Galants on the other hand are currently nice and rare and are not your average car they have all the fun stuff and are great prices even if paying dealer price i gues.

i had a commodore and got rid of it to keep the cordia, now the legnum will be the perfect replacement rare but getting more common as people find out about them :)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
One of the great things about the Legnum/Galant is that no-one other than import enthusiasts knows what they are, so you don't get idiots in Commodores trying to run you at the lights all the time, but you still get people driving off the road to get a better look at your car ;)

damo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Damo
Drive
98 VR4 Galant 5sp M
and people going wtf was that thing that just beat me?

he he:D, you bet they are. I took the plunge and just called up a dealer today who I knew had 2 good ones. Made him a reasonable offer. Now it sits in front of my house. Damn that's a good looking car!!

It's a '98 5spd, bloody immaculate in and out, carbon dash in-lay, 17" rollers (Works I think they are called) and doesn't it go a shower of shite. The colour is the dark purple, not my first choice, but still, I think it suits the car.

I'll get some pics up soon!
Damo:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Good News Damo !!!

What are you talking about, purple is the best colour :)

Get some pics up ASAP !!!

G

Unregistered
nice... congrats damo. wish they had more of those in Melbourne (or AUS that I know of) :(. May I ask how much you paid for it? Or at least the range so I know what to expect when buying my legnum from dealers.

damo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Damo
Drive
98 VR4 Galant 5sp M
nice... congrats damo. wish they had more of those in Melbourne (or AUS that I know of) :(. May I ask how much you paid for it? Or at least the range so I know what to expect when buying my legnum from dealers.

G'day Andrew,
Mate, as far as prices go, I am not the one to ask. But i can tell you that the asking price for mine was 19k. I thought that was a little ambitious, even though the car really was in top nick, so I offered him about 4k less (which I didn't expect him to agree to:eek:). After a bit of to-and-froing, he agreed to my price. I still think that is the absolute top end for this car at this time, and i made it clear that i was prepared to walk on the sale. Keep in mind that mine is a Galant (sedan) and not a legnum. The Leggies seem a bit more plentiful atm, around here anyway.

Cheers,
Damo:cool:

Now, can anyone read Japanese - I need to decipher my stereo controls.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey damo,

what are the specs?
Manual? Kms? Leather? Sunroof etc? sounds like a pretty good deal

damo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Damo
Drive
98 VR4 Galant 5sp M
Hey damo,

what are the specs?
Manual? Kms? Leather? Sunroof etc? sounds like a pretty good deal

5spd man, 80k, unmarked black cloth interior w/ carbon dash/console insert, no sunroof (which i didn't want anyway). Kenwood cd w/ mini disk - double din with ampmounted vertically in boot and all done nice and proffessionaly.

paint is the platinum purple and is abolutely spotless. 17" works alloys - no gutter rash - like new. That surprised me!!

Also got full logbooks, 1 jap owner, now I'm the first Oz owner.
Do I sound happy???? try and shut me up!!!! I dares ya!!:p

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
thats pretty good.

Where was that at?

Did you end up with an exhaust or any mods?

I got a 97 legnum with full leather, manual, sunroof, alpine navigation/screen with multimedia ability, pearl white, stock wheels though :S and its in good nick with only 47 on the clock. no cd or nothing though either, but i have a heap of alpine gear to go in.

Where in qld are you? be keen to take a look, im down the gold coast on weekend.

Cheers, brent

damo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Damo
Drive
98 VR4 Galant 5sp M
Brent, just picked it up from the Goldy actually. I am in the Redlands.

No engine mods. I was after a stocker. I have a better idea of the life its had that way. It was at Sportscar Warehouse. They had a silver '96 for 13k that i was looking at, but not complied yet.
Gotta say, Tony is the dealer there, and he puts 99% of used car salesman to shame. Nice bloke and i wouldn't hesitate recomending him.
Damo

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Yeah, sounds like you got a very good deal for a Galant. :) must be stoked. Mine was a stocker aswell, but i was able to get them to part with a 3" fujisobo cat back, and get a few small dents out and fix a scratch on one of the doors. Its getting complied at the moment, expect to see it in early - mid november after exams finish at uni! (something to drive me to get them done haha) we just bought a house up here on the sunshine coast as well, maybe once i get the car, ill come down for a cruise with the mrs or something? maybe some of the otherguys might wanna do something before xmas aswell?

lookin forward to seeing some pics mate, congrats on the purchase

Top Bottom